heavy bullet limitation

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

heavy bullet limitation

Postby rohk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:07 pm

ok, just to start I'm happy with the 225/250's perfomance but being a tech well.................
Now that I've said that, what is the cause of the diminishing returns on bullets over 325? is it the ar-15 action? the case size? or the barrel length? all of the above?
rohk

Re: heavy bullet limitation

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 pm

rohk wrote:ok, just to start I'm happy with the 225/250's perfomance but being a tech well.................
Now that I've said that, what is the cause of the diminishing returns on bullets over 325? is it the ar-15 action? the case size? or the barrel length? all of the above?

The length of the bullet vs weight of bullet vs case capacity.

And it's most prevalent in normal bullets above 375gr (I pretty much am of the opinion, that we're fairly well done at 350gr with most stock bullets, of course there are exceptions, but then you've got to get into the exotics to see real improvements, and diminished returns are certainly seen by the time you get to 405gr (45-70 range) bullets (the 45-70 Ruger #1 shoots them well, but then again, the case capacity is much greater).

Keep in mind my little story about bowling balls, one might conclude that they'd be very dangerous if moved to speeds well north of 2000fps, but in reality, what would be the speed, of that ball, with our case capacity? I think you'd readily, well recognize, the diminished return, in my stupid little assumption.

Now don't get me wrong, if you've got a gob of 405's by all means use them, but their performance won't be as good, over-all, as the 325-350's. The even heavier weighted bullets (405-700gr) are just for fun, but not as practical as the 325-350's, as seen in my Lab test results (assuming Moose or Cape Buffalo is in the mission profile). In other words, a 500gr, won't expand more than a 325-350's and those lighter bullets penetrate more tissue, to boot. So, I guess, it depends on the mission profile, as to wither the truly heavy weight bullets will be successful, in your application, considering our case capacity..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby rohk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:17 pm

oh, I have used the 250/225's in my shotgun and muzzleloader for years, I have come to the conclusion from what I've seen that there is nothing to convince me that they will not kill anything in NA and almost everything in the world, and my shotgun only gets the 250's to 1800 fps.

Thanks for the answer like I said I'm a electronic tech I love to know the how and why's of what I'm interested in. So I may ask "theoretical" or technical Questions along the way. I had my ideas of what was happening and you confirmed them, thanks.

PS I also tend to push boundaries in case you haven't noticed. ;)
rohk

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 pm

PS I also tend to push boundaries in case you haven't noticed. ;)[/quote]

You may have to explain that to WC...he has NO IDEA what you're talking about... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 am

="commander faschisto"]PS I also tend to push boundaries in case you haven't noticed. ;)

You may have to explain that to WC...he has NO IDEA what you're talking about... :lol:[/quote]

I've seen WCs' coloring books.... Stay inside the lines?! WC?! Bwahahahahahah!! :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rohk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:49 am

I've seen WCs' coloring books.... Stay inside the lines?! WC?! Bwahahahahahah!

I knew there was a reason I like Wildcatter. :lol:
rohk

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 am

Yup, here's 'OL WC and his coloring book, pretty good, but not perfect. One might even describe the beginnings of his new projects as "Ruff".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... e7Ge7Sogrk

Now here are the results of all the "Ruff" beginnings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... k2sPl_Z7ZU ..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, well some of us don't need no stinkin' software - we just use lunch! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_266410&feature=iv&src_vid=uk2sPl_Z7ZU&v=j3pz2VgIM7E.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Yeah, well some of us don't need no stinkin' software - we just use lunch! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_266410&feature=iv&src_vid=uk2sPl_Z7ZU&v=j3pz2VgIM7E.

James, that's way cool..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Reloading for the 450b