Reduced Loads

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Reduced Loads

Postby whunt_64 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:24 pm

I am using my 16" 450 for a form of bowling pin shooting in a league that we have during the summer. I wish to have a reduced load and started working with little gun(powder on hand) and 255gr 45 LC bullets made by Xtreme. I started way low(17.7gr) and worked up to 30.3 to try and find a accuracy node with out any luck. I am not against switching bullets but would like to give these a another shot. I was able to get the gun to cycle at 22.2gr but the brass isn't sealing inside the chamber and in return is rather dirty. This was the most accurate out of all the the loads tried. Is anyone else trying a reduced load? I would love to hear some of your results.
whunt_64

Re: Reduced Loads

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Welcome to our electronic campfire! I'm sure lots of guys here can give some pointers on reduced loads, unfortunately, I'm not the expert. I am currently working up loads for the MagTeck 230 Gr FMJs. I've been using LG with fair results, but I'm actually trying to get this round to punch 7/16" steel plate. Ultimately I hope to drop Hogzilla.
Welcome again, pull up a stump, get some coffee, grab a S'more, that is if you can get wildcatter to pass them 'round.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Good to have ya'll on board, whunt_64.

How fast do you want to go with those 255 pills?

You might want to try some blue dot or that area of burn rate (AA7 ??? I've been using AA9 and 2400 lately, in a 9"pistol barrel and as yet haven't been able to slow the heavy-pills down much), the fast burners are really fast burning, the pressures come up quickly, thus sealing the case well and the speeds are way off max. The only real worry is, can you make the action function as normal, with the "Relative Quickness", of the fast burners?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am

wildcatter wrote:Good to have ya'll on board, whunt_64.

How fast do you want to go with those 255 pills?

You might want to try some blue dot or that area of burn rate (AA7 ??? I've been using AA9 and 2400 lately, in a 9"pistol barrel and as yet haven't been able to slow the heavy-pills down much), the fast burners are really fast burning, the pressures come up quickly, thus sealing the case well and the speeds are way off max. The only real worry is, can you make the action function as normal, with the "Relative Quickness", of the fast burners?..

..t

I have used 2400 and as Tim said, the pressure rises quickly and you can get your cases sealed off better before the sooting gets real bad. In my case, I used it with lighter bullets like the 200 FTX and I tried it with 225s as well. It is a mismatch for heavy bullets, but not outside the realm of usable. If you don't mind not being able to milk every bit of performance out of the combination, as I gather you are not, it may be just the ticket.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

Welcome!

A couple of items first --- as what type of bullet are you using from Xtreme:

1. Naked lead bullets will have poor accuracy because of gas cutting at the gas port. A tall gas check (0.10") is required and we have not found these readily available. The cast bullet needs to be .452" in diameter and better yet .453".
2. Plated bullets are usually .4505" and not .451". At least the ones that I have tried (from Berrys). Many on this forum have tried plated bullets with poor results ---- especially accuracy. They strip passing thru the bore.

Go to the top of this page/site and you will see a bar that has "Front Page", "450b Thread at Calguns" and "Knowledge Base". Click on Knowledge Base and go to Reloading, 450 Bushmaster, Hornady Reload Data, and then at the bottom of the case drawing --- Original Data. Since the gas system on the AR requires a minimum amount to operate, the minimum charges/powders listed there will operate the action. Using a really fast pistol powder and slow moving bullet can cause the action to open while the bullet is still in the barrel. Not a good thing. Your asking the system/cartridge to do something that it was not designed to do.

Using a 230 grain RN or FN Jacket (avoid the encapsulated variety by Hornady) at 1500 fps is most likely going to be your minimum.
Siringo

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Siringo wrote:Welcome!

A couple of items first --- as what type of bullet are you using from Xtreme:

1. Naked lead bullets will have poor accuracy because of gas cutting at the gas port. A tall gas check (0.10") is required and we have not found these readily available. The cast bullet needs to be .452" in diameter and better yet .453".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/450-Bushmaster- ... 20be0ffd80

"they have a diameter of .454 and are .125 tall."
9x19MdM

Postby Siringo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Good Find!!!!!!!! I gotta get some and retro fit some WFN bullets I have! Has anyone tried these???
Siringo

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Siringo wrote:Good Find!!!!!!!! I gotta get some and retro fit some WFN bullets I have! Has anyone tried these???

Siringo-
BD1 has received some of these aluminum checks, but I don't know whether he's tested them yet.

Look at his post on Oct 6, 2011, on this thread: Cast Boolits?.

He doesn't seem to have reported any results with these.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:15 pm

pitted bore wrote:
Siringo wrote:Good Find!!!!!!!! I gotta get some and retro fit some WFN bullets I have! Has anyone tried these???

Siringo-
BD1 has received some of these aluminum checks, but I don't know whether he's tested them yet.

Look at his post on Oct 6, 2011, on this thread: Cast Boolits?.

He doesn't seem to have reported any results with these.

--Bob

Somebody needs to wake BD1!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby whunt_64 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:33 pm

The Xtreme bullets are there 255 LC bullets that are copper plated flat points, with a diameter of .451". I have fell in love with plated bullets with my big bore revolvers and thought that I would give them a try. Placing cardboard at 15 yards no copper is pealing off. Thanks for the input of powder options. It sounds like you guys would recommend a slower burning powder for this task. Siringo, that is actually the speed I am looking to be at when all said and done. I was starting low to find where I had to be to get it to cycle, now I wish I could get it to tighten up a bit. A fellow competitor has successfully downloaded his 300 xtp rounds(non mags) to shoot well with I believe 2400 doing the same thing I am. Starting low, getting the rifle to cycle, and found a load real close to that that shot well. Thanks for the input.
whunt_64

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b