Flat nosed bullet chambering?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Flat nosed bullet chambering?

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:41 am

I think Dawg's steel plate collection is about to suffer the consequences... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:35 pm

commander faschisto wrote:I think Dawg's steel plate collection is about to suffer the consequences... :lol:

I think you're right..... :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:19 pm

wildcatter wrote:I know what you mean, but then again, if we had a .500BC, we'd have a 300 magnum. All you need is the stuff to measure the range accurately (Lasers?) and then be able to adjust the sights. When you get to those ranges, you've got enough residual "umph" left on the bullet to decide absolutely any issue, wherein the 300 might not. In fact the last two deer I shot with a 300H&H , both at about 2-250yds, one ran 75 yds., the other ran 75yds to the fence, jumped over that fence and then ran an additional 75yds in the Forrest, both had the top of their hearts ripped off and both legs completely shot out from under them. This is something we'll never see with the 450b at any BC..

..t

Like Michigan, they grow big up here in Minnesota. Every deer I've shot since I moved here, I took with a 30 caliber rifle.
2) 30-30
11) 300 Win Mag handloaded down to 30-06
5) .308

Every one was shot with a 150gr bullet. All but one (30-30) dropped within eyesight, in the woods, of where I shot them. All but one took only one shot. Not one of them knew I was about to shoot them and I had time to place my shot correctly. I will let even the nicest trophy in my life get away if I do not have a good shot at him and I have to admit, I've done exactly that a few times. I do not shoot into brush, I do not shoot when they're making 90 through the trees and I do not spray and pray. Two years carrying the 450b and the only shots I had were some yearlings, which I passed up since both times it was on opening morning, with 15 days remaining. If I were superstitious, I'd go back to my down-loaded 300 Win Mag BAR. ;)

The point being, don't blame the caliber. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm

sizing jacketed .458's with a Lee push through sizing die is a piece of cake!! If you take the Hornady .458 325GR FTX and size it down to .452 you will have about the best BC you will get in our cal.
Stealthshooter

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:... If you take the Hornady .458 325GR FTX and size it down to .452 you will have about the best BC you will get in our cal.
Stealthshooter-
It's good to know that this works well.

I'm not sure about the ballistic coefficient (BC) change though. If this is Hornady's #45015, then Hornady's web site says it has a BC of 0.230 before you resize it. Squeezing it by 0.006" will certainly increase the BC somewhat. Do you know whether the increase is more than a few thousandths?

If one is striving for max BC, then resizing Barnes Original .458 300-gr Semi-Spitzers (#45701) might be worth a try.
It has a catalog BC of 0.291, and the resizing should boost that a smidgen. I'm not sure I believe that BC value, because the bullet doesn't look as sleek as an FTX.

The 250-grain FTX that Hornady puts into its factory ammo has a BC of 0.250, which is one of the highest BCs for available 451 or 452 bullets. The advantage of the 250-gr bullet is that it can be loaded for significantly higher velocity than the 325-gr bullets. The higher BC and increased velocity work together to make it both flatter shooting and more wind resistant.

I keep trying to find ways to beat the laws of physics better than Hornady has with the 250-gr FTX. It's really difficult to do so.

Have you tried to resize any of the Barnes 458 ring-shanked solid copper triple-shock bullets to 452?

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 pm

pitted bore wrote:The 250-grain FTX that Hornady puts into its factory ammo has a BC of 0.250

Hornady lists the BC of the .452 250 gr FTX as .210 - http://www.hornady.com/store/450-Bushmaster-250-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Hornady lists the BC of the .452 250 gr FTX as .210 - http://www.hornady.com/store/450-Bushmaster-250-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/.
Jim-
Gulp. And rats! Once-again a smooth-talking salesman as led me astray. I was relying on the BC posted on Midway's web site: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/693974

(With my luck, Midway will soon correct their page to show Hornady's value, and then it will appear to future readers of this thread that I'm both ignorant and illiterate. Fie on you, Mr. Potterfield.)

The BC value of .291 that I posted for the Barnes 458 350-gr semi-spitzer is correct, assuming Barnes has not made either typographic or calculating errors. I think other forum members have posted the BCs of some of the Barnes 451 muzzleloading bullets. The values for their 285-gr and 290-gr are pretty good.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

.210? Guess I better start over on my data.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm

When creating my dope chart I used the .210 BC from Hornady's site and the rifle and ammo matched the chart. I'd say it is accurate info.
MrRowdy

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 am

Okay. I'm still working up a load for 230 grain FMJs, (round nose), and I have a new batch ready for the bench. Meanwhile, back in the reloading room, I want to start working with the Hornady 230 Grain FMJ Flat Tip.
Do any of you have any experience with this particular bullet using LilGun powder? I need some idea
where I need to start with regard to powder weight so as to start in the 2400-2500FPS range.
I will be using the Legendre side crimp on these loads and will be shot out of a 20" barrel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b