Load Data

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Load Data

Postby simpleman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Hello all.
I am new here,to the 450 Bushmaster and the AR 15. What a ride this will be.
Is there any one place you all have reload data posted? Lots of good reading here. Loads are scattered though.
I worked up some loads today and had slow ignition.
Loads were
CCI Small Rifle primers
35 Degrees
Win 296 38Gr and 40Gr
Hornady FTX 250Gr.
Hornady once fired brass 1.691
OAL 2.257
Hornady Taper Crimp

I am assuming from my reading that the crimp is not holding bullet tight enough for a good ignition.
38Gr shot 3 touching at 100 yards.
40Gr 3 inch group
All were delayed fire.
Can someone help?

Can anyone help?
simpleman

Re: Load Data

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

My first reloading attempts had me using up some of my BR4 primers and ignition was not optimal. You need Hot primers like the Remington 7 1/2, Win Small Rifle and Federal Gold Medal 205M. Some folks have reported good results with Magnum primers as well. My most consistent performer is the Rem 7 1/2, especially in cooler temperatures. As you noted, a good taper crimp matters as well, but more so the lighter the bullet. IE 250 FTX is not as dependent as the 200 FTX. We have not done a very good job keeping the load database updated. As you noted, there are good load reports, but spread all over the place.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:24 am

the CCI 450 has done me well in 10* temps with Lilgun and AA680 with 300gr bullets.

My only experience with 296/110 has been with a 454 and that worked best with a compressed load and heavy crimp.
Al in Mi

Postby simpleman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks guys.
I was trying what I had. I will have to order some 71/2s. None around here. I will take all the help I can get. I am thinking about the crimp Wildcatter wrote about.
I did try some a load with A 1680 on one load.
Same issue with ignition.
I am looking for most accurate plinking load and an accurate hog load. So any help would be great.
simpleman

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:43 am

simpleman wrote:Thanks guys.
I was trying what I had. I will have to order some 71/2s. None around here. I will take all the help I can get. I am thinking about the crimp Wildcatter wrote about.
I did try some a load with A 1680 on one load.
Same issue with ignition.
I am looking for most accurate plinking load and an accurate hog load. So any help would be great.

Pick up some inexpensive 230gr FMJs, not the plated jacket kind and load them ahead of 38gr Lil Gun. Great plinking load. The taper crimp works fine, but if you feel compelled to do so, you can mod a Lee Factory Crimp Die to make a stab crimp. IMHO, the best results with a stab crimp are achieved when you can use it in conjunction with a bullet wearing a cannelure.

Watch for Midway's bulk sale on the 225 FTX. I paid like $13.00 for a box of 100. That's even more cheaper than FMJs.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby simpleman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 am

That's what I was thinking about Hoot. The 225 ftx. I was going to try it with 2400. I seen in one of the post someone got great results from that. It may have been you. Not overly concerned about speed. I have to use chrony to see speed. Bullets touching on paper gets me the warm fuzzy. A 200 to 300 gr bullet doesn't have to be all that fast if it is placed correctly.
simpleman

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

Winchester Small Rifle, (WSR), primers & LilGun work well, with my 230Gr Mag Tech FMJs so far. But I definitely get better performace with my custom side crimp. I am still working up loads for this round. I just got some Hornady 230FMJ flat points to test too. But that 230 Grain Mag Tech is still impressive when shot through 3 one gallon water jugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esX614w9 ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm

simpleman wrote:That's what I was thinking about Hoot. The 225 ftx. I was going to try it with 2400. I seen in one of the post someone got great results from that. It may have been you. Not overly concerned about speed. I have to use chrony to see speed. Bullets touching on paper gets me the warm fuzzy. A 200 to 300 gr bullet doesn't have to be all that fast if it is placed correctly.

I got good results with 2400 and both 185 and 200 grainers, but not so good with heavier bullets. That moves into the sweet zone for Lil Gun. My best 5-shot 100 yd group to date was the 225s and 38gr Lil Gun.

2400 is a lot more volatile than Lil Gun in how it behaves as you're working upward. With Lil Gun, you can gradually see the max pressure point approaching as you go up a grain at a time. With 2400 you go from happy to over-pressured in one grain. At least that was my experience with it.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby simpleman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Texas Sheepdawg. What is side crimp.
simpleman

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm

simpleman wrote:Texas Sheepdawg. What is side crimp.

It's a Modified 45-70 crimp die that places a crimp on the side of the case. I am not so well versed to describe it in detail but what it does is stamp a crimp below the case mouth and by using shims, you can vary distance from the case mouth. I am going to let the pros explain how it works. And I will try to find a link to some previous conversations.
Here is a picture I got from somewhere on here. You can see the crimp just below the case mouth.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b