light loads with the 230 gr bullet

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: light loads with the 230 gr bullet

Postby boodog » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 am

I was also wondering if anyone has tried The Load, 13 grs of reddot?, used it in my 45 70 contender pistol nice and mild.
boodog

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm

boodog wrote:Hey Guys
Thanks very much for the replies :D I know what grits are but don't believe I've ever seen them in the market, would corn meal be close?...snip...
Thanks again so much - jc

From Subsonic Load thread last Sunday:

On 2/5/2012 Hoot wrote:Cream of Wheat is probably the most popular media. Grits are in essence corn meal. Just corn meal that's had all the nutritionally good stuff leached out of it. Raw corn meal has all its oils still in it and that may pose the potential for polymerization (turn to plastic coating) under heat and pressure....snip... Much remains to be determined.
Hoot

JC, you'd be better off using unflavored Cream Of Wheat than Corn Meal. COW as its often referred to, is a lot more popular than grits and more likely to be found in the grocery store. Very similar in property to Grits. I eat grits, but I don't usually eat COW, hence I have grits around the house, hence I use grits. Some times, its the simplest of reasons... ;)

Never tried Red Dot. It may turn your rig into a single shot. Any reduced load may not cycle the action.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby boodog » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks again Hoot, you're a god send - jc
boodog

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 pm

boodog wrote:I was also wondering if anyone has tried The Load, 13 grs of reddot?, used it in my 45 70 contender pistol nice and mild.

That's a pistol load and a fast one at that, we need slow or moderately slow "Pistol" powders or very fast rifle powders. You can use Red-Dot, but don't expect the action to work and be very careful, as pressures will rise very rapidly.

Keep in mind that this is a horse of a different color (450b). One of the best powders for the 45-70 is IMR 3031, but that powder is dangerously, too slow of a burn rate for us, generally speaking. Most any powder can work, some of them well, most of them dangerously. Red -Dot, would be ok, if you wanted subsonics, and were OK with a Straight-Pull "Type" of manual action. But as I said, be very careful experimenting in this realm, for this is an area that is better handled by a VERY experienced reloaded. In General, pay no heed to what is going on in the 45-70, as it relates to the 450b, because 45-70 loading data, really doesn't cross over (most of those loads were developed in 34" Civil-War Trap-Doors)..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby boodog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 am

Thankyou Wildcatter
I've have just gotten back into shooting/reloading after a 10 year hiatus, all my knowledger was based on Ruger #1's, Sharps and Contender pistols, the AR platform is very new to me but the the burn rate cycling the action makes sense. I've been spending the weekend reading all the posts in the reloading section (got 2 ft of snow dumped on us) and I'm very impressed with the knowledge you gentlemen possess and I'm hoping to be able to contribute to this forum in the future.
Thanks again - jc
boodog

Postby KEEMARBOL » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I MADE UP 20 ROUNDS OF HORNADY XTP MAG 240 GRAIN TODAY. SEEM"S TO BE A VERY GOOD LOAD 36.9 GR WIN 296 TAPER CRIMP. BULLET DEPTH AT 1.620. 1 INCH GROUP AT 300 METERS CRONY WAS BETWEEN 2175 TO 2244 F.P S. NO SIGN OF HI PRESSURE. WILL BUILD A HUNDRED OR SO TOMARROW BUT AT $9.00 A BOX YOU CANT BEAT IT. I SHOT A FULL GALLON JUGG WITH BOTH THE 240 GR XTP MAG AND THE FACTORY SST BOTH DID ABOUT THE SAME DAMAGE. BOTH HELD ABOUT THE SAME PATTERN WITH THE SST SLIGHTY TIGHTER BUT NOT $18.00 A BOX MORE -- TIGHTER :idea:
KEEMARBOL

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:40 am

KEEMARBOL wrote:...snip...1 INCH GROUP AT 300 METERS...snip

Do you prefer to use your right or left shoulder with the mirror? Image

Regardless, Welcome Aboard ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Hoot wrote:

Hoot

I, myself, have never shot a group like that at 300meters (which is 1/3 MOA), but I have shot many, many 1/3 moa groups and less in size, at 1 & 2 hundred, and I know folks, whom I believe, that say they have.

Remember that Outdoor Channel Team, some three or so years ago, who declared the 450b the most accurate rifle in the World, after they shot a, verifiable, Zero inch group at 100yds (can't remember if it was 3 or 5 rds, I wanna say it was five, but I can't make myself believe it, who among us, saw this on TV and can tell us how many rds it actually was?). Now, they further imbibed (as in drinking the tea or I hope it was tea), that, that was prolly an accident (to which I concur, but I too would do a bunch of bragging, after that), but none the less, they did actually accomplish this fantastic feat, though it was probably a good thing they didn't fire another round..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Hoot wrote:

Hoot

Yep ---- been a lot of that on this forum lately.
Siringo

Postby KEEMARBOL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm

SORRY MAN NOTHING LIKE BLOWING IT ON YOUR FIRST POST!. THATS 100 METERS 328.084 FEET . :D I WILL TRY TO BE A LITTLE MORE AWAKE . BEFORE I POST AGAIN. THATS ALSO STRAPED DOWN TO A HYSKORE HYDRAULIC DANGEROUS GAME REST WITH REMOTE TRIGGER. AND THE RIGHT SHOULDER WILL DO DO DO FINE.
KEEMARBOL

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b