230gr accuracy load

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

230gr accuracy load

Postby bangotwango » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 am

I have been going through the load data on here and havent seen a definitive 230gr load that shoots well. Maybe I missed it?

I will be putting together a 230gr load for the 450b. I would require at least 1"gp at 100yds to consider it acceptable and worth the time/investment of reloading this caliber. Is there a load worked up shot out of the 20" barrel that I can expect this performance using only a roll crimp and a affordable bullet?
bangotwango

Re: 230gr accuracy load

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 am

bangotwango wrote:I have been going through the load data on here and havent seen a definitive 230gr load that shoots well. Maybe I missed it?

I will be putting together a 230gr load for the 450b. I would require at least 1"gp at 100yds to consider it acceptable and worth the time/investment of reloading this caliber. Is there a load worked up shot out of the 20" barrel that I can expect this performance using only a roll crimp and a affordable bullet?

This would probably be better placed in the "Reloading for the 450B" sub-forum. I know other shooters have had more accurate results with 230 FMJs than me, but the best 5-shot, 100 yd group I could get with them was about 1.5 Inches. More than twice what I get for 5-shot, 100yd groups with the 225gr FTX. I mention them because in lots of 100, you can get 225gr FTXs as cheap as Magtech 230gr FMJs if you watch the sales at Midway. YMMV

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

bangotwango wrote:I have been going through the load data on here and havent seen a definitive 230gr load that shoots well. Maybe I missed it?

I'm working on it!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 am

I moved this topic over to the reloading for the 450 Bushmaster Sub forum.
As for crimping, we do not use a roll crimp for this cartridge. It could cause serious issues. It is suggested to use a taper crimp. However, there are some of us using the side crimp method with a modified 45-70 crimp die. There are several threads here on side crimping and the LeGendre Crimp.
I am using the side crimp for my FMJ loads.
Here is a couple of links to help you get started in crimping.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1507

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2286
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b