Getting Started

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Getting Started

Postby tubbs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey guys,

First post, new to the forum, and still getting use to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I hope to tap into that. I put a 450BM 20 inch upper on my Christmas list this year. That was the only thing I wanted hence why Im here. :lol: Anyway. I have been reloading a while now. I load for 223, 9mm, 45, 40, and 7mm. My set up is a Dillon 550 and a Redding Big Boss. I was curious to see if there was anything special I needed to know other than what I already know about straight wall cases that headspace off of the mouth. If I missed where to look I apologies.

From what I gather Hornady makes the only dies. It comes with a taper crimp die. Is that sufficient or do I have to mod a Lee Factory Crimp Die?

I load for 45 so I have .451 bullets laying around. I have read on here that those are generally ok for plinking? Just looking for clarification.

I will also be getting some LG, as for rifle powder all I have on hand right now is Tac for 223.

If there is anything that I need to know or advice that will put me ahead of the learning curve that would be greatly appreciated.
tubbs

Re: Getting Started

Postby thatguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 pm

You need to ask Santa for an advance on that 20" upper.. They are on sale this month and you save quite a bit over the full retail price..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby tubbs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh thats how I know Im getting one for Christmas also. I used the old, its on sale so better get it while its cheap. ;)
tubbs

Postby pitted bore » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:25 pm

tubbs wrote:From what I gather Hornady makes the only dies. It comes with a taper crimp die. Is that sufficient or do I have to mod a Lee Factory Crimp Die?
tubbs-

Welcome.

CH4D also makes 450 Bushmaster dies. I don't know what dies are included in their die set. http://www.ch4d.com/

tubbs wrote:If there is anything that I need to know or advice that will put me ahead of the learning curve that would be greatly appreciated.

Advice? (1) Even if you're inclined to experimentation, start with the loads recommended by Hornady. (2) Make a project of reading the threads on the reloading forum here. (3)Pay particular attention to the warnings here about working with slower powders and with light bullets; hangfires for example are an indicator that things are not going well.

Keep the forum posted on your progress and problems.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:51 am

I ordered the 20" Upper too. Should arrive later today..
Stay tuned. Maximum fun to follow.
I would stick with the Hornady dies, and pay extremely close
Attention to the reloading discussions here.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jmontgomery » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I sent an email to Lee to see if they were making dies for the 450B. Here is their reply:

Mr. Montgomery:

We do not offer a die set for the 450 Bushmaster as a standard die set but we are able to make it as a custom item. The most economical die set we have to offer for the 450 Bushmaster would be a Large Series Collet Die Set. To make this we would require two fired cases and a bullet and costs $150.00 plus applicable shipping costs.

Thank You
Lee Precision

I'll be going with Hornady for the dies.
jmontgomery

Postby hench861 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:04 pm

who is selling 450 die sets now i cant seem to find them,brass and bullets but no dies
hench861

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 pm

hench861 wrote:who is selling 450 die sets now i cant seem to find them,brass and bullets but no dies

Try this link. Lots of places listing them, but you'll have to call them to see if they have them in stock. The die listings start about half way down the page. Good Luck

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:33 am

I got mine from www.Midwayusa.com and was thanked for my business ;)
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:32 pm

bushmeister wrote:I got mine from http://www.Midwayusa.com and was thanked for my business ;)

A lot of the members got them from Midway back when they had them in stock. Be careful of their "Date expected in stock" declarations. They've had a bad habit of slipping further and further out in the past. If you don't want to wait to start reloading and can find someone who has one in stock, buy it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b