Getting Started

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Getting Started

Postby wildcatter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm

And, you can always order them direct from Hornady and get bullets and brass direct as well, but, everything will be retail from them, directly. Another source is Ebang.com..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby CT450 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 am

Thought i would resurrect this post since I'm in the same situation. Trying to start reloading for the 450 BM. My Hornady dies have been on perpetual backorder for 2 months now (and not looking like its going to clear for awhile) and Dave from CH4D is getting back to me on monday. But what is the opinions specifically on these die sets? Pro's/Con's? Likes/Dislikes? The CH4D set is double the cost of the Hornady's. I pretty much have everything else i need at this point except for dies. Also, how about trimming this case? Obviusly after sizing ,but does the straight wall cartridge really grow all that much? What are people experiencing? Trim everytime? I was reading the "brass life" thread but was getting a little confused after all the different variables and mistakes that were made. If im under 1.700" i should be fine..according to the saami specs i have, right? Planning on starting off easy with Hornady 250 ftx over some lil' gun, and then play with some 240 xtp/mag and some others. Not my first reloading i currently reload .308, .223, .45, .38/.357, 9mm.
CT450

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 am

CT450 wrote:Thought i would resurrect this post since I'm in the same situation. Trying to start reloading for the 450 BM. My Hornady dies have been on perpetual backorder for 2 months now (and not looking like its going to clear for awhile) and Dave from CH4D is getting back to me on monday. But what is the opinions specifically on these die sets? Pro's/Con's? Likes/Dislikes? The CH4D set is double the cost of the Hornady's. I pretty much have everything else i need at this point except for dies. Also, how about trimming this case? Obviusly after sizing ,but does the straight wall cartridge really grow all that much? What are people experiencing? Trim everytime? I was reading the "brass life" thread but was getting a little confused after all the different variables and mistakes that were made. If im under 1.700" i should be fine..according to the saami specs i have, right? Planning on starting off easy with Hornady 250 ftx over some lil' gun, and then play with some 240 xtp/mag and some others. Not my first reloading i currently reload .308, .223, .45, .38/.357, 9mm.

One place you can save a buck or two on the reloading process is case trimming. From the first round out of a case and from that point forward, they actually shrink. I have never had a case grow on me, regardless of how hot I loaded it. It's just the nature of the beast. I've had brand new Hornady brass start out at 1.695 and after 1 firing shrink to below their minimum spec for that caliber! Luckily, the worst shrinkage occurs in the first firing, but they do continue to shrink. Like my barber used to say to me, "I can always take more off, but I can't put it back on." I sent a member a box of perfectly good used cases that were below Hornady Spec. He was gong to try some technique for regrowing them, but I don't recall hearing back from him on how he fared.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CT450 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks hoot..i was hoping to hear that. i never trim any pistol brass that i have, never had to. they either get lost or split first. any opinions on die sets?
CT450

Postby CT450 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 am

Well just wanted to thank everyone for all of the info. on here. Been reading posts from 2009! Awesome! Tons of good info. Anyways, Finally everything came together for me and was able to make my 1st batch. 20 rds., 250gr FTX, OAL 2.225" +/- .005",WSR primer, 35.5 gr LIL' GUN, .476" Taper crimp. Does this load sound ok? Trying for a close factory duplicate for now. Any tricks for consistent bullet seat?, I dont have a large enough bullet comparetor insert yet for my hornady gauge. Any tips pointers or opinions are welcome..thanks again.
CT450

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 am

Those parameters look good to me. I started out with a lighter load (34.2, I think) of LG - about the middle of the Handbook values, and I chronied about the same as the factery load. I don't know what powder or how many grains Hornady uses, so your 35.5 loads may run a little faster than the 2200 fps advertised (I chonographed my loads and the factory loads closer to 2150).
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby CT450 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the input. Jim. First batch, hopefully i will get to range sometime this week, and get a day without too much wind.
CT450

Postby CT450 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Well guys, this post has been dead for awhile! But i finally got out to the range today! Freezing cold (26*), Gusty winds, Snow flurries and small squalls! But when are ever given the perfect situation with absolute conditions! Never! So i took advantage of it. Here are the pics. This is the recipe i posted earlier. I like it and think i will will stick with it for the FTX 250gr. This is at 100yds from the bench using the sling. Dont mind the first 4 in the lower right. I shot those to ensure that the rifle wouldnt blow up on me.

CT450

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 pm

CT450 wrote:Well guys, this post has been dead for awhile! But i finally got out to the range today! Freezing cold (26*), Gusty winds, Snow flurries and small squalls! But when are ever given the perfect situation with absolute conditions! Never! So i took advantage of it. Here are the pics. This is the recipe i posted earlier. I like it and think i will will stick with it for the FTX 250gr. This is at 100yds from the bench using the sling. Dont mind the first 4 in the lower right. I shot those to ensure that the rifle wouldnt blow up on me.

Good Shooting!
I doubt I could shoot that good off a bench with just a sling and my elbow. I do practice that way just before deer season to make sure the POI doesn't change too much from my BR setup. It never ceases to amaze me how much my physical shooting component impacts accuracy when I get out of the bags. Not something I want to suddenly discover with a freezer full in the cross hairs.
Keep up the good work and take comfort in knowing you will shoot even better once comfortable conditions return. I know I do.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CT450 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Hey thanks Hoot! I have give a big thanks to you personally and everyone else here thathelped me out and gave me a few pointers, like nevermind the expander! The Hornady seating die is awesome! The cases had no signs of pressure and very minimal sooting. I did notice some sooting on the cases by the rim? But i forgot to take pics of it before i tumbled them. Now going to make another batch next weekend finish up my box of 250's, and maybe start some other loads up with different bullet weights. Have to see how much brass i have left. HAHAHAHA!
CT450

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b