250GRN DPX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 250GRN DPX

Postby alaskabushmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am

Sheepdog you have perked my ears up. I have stayed away from the fmj for fear they would not expand on flesh. Now I will try that myself. They might make a good bone breaking load afterall and cause some good wound channels. I have stayed under 38grns with the Barnes for fear of pressures with the solid coppers. I'm sure I could work up a little though but my goal was 2100 and it is a real killer. Magtechs are being ordered tonight thanks for the idea. I think I know where there is a dead moose to try it out on the real thing. Maybe that's a little morbid but shooting roadkill is a good way to test sometimes and its still cold here so it wont smell too bad;) I have a brown bear hunt again in may and taking vacation the first two weeks in June. Ill throw all the terminal results on here after the hunts. Moose pics after work.
MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Watch this...
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esX614w9 ... ata_player

And steel plate. I mis-measured this Plate. Used a cheapie tape. But measuring again with
a caliper, the plate is actually .421" thick. (7/16").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7-K6NP ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I also started using a custom crimp for the higher charges 39-43gr Lil Gun. Also known as the Legendre side crimp. It's a Lee crimp die for a 45-70 re-milled and cut down and using special spacers.
I'll let the gurus weigh in on how to make it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Range report.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8633

Side crimp thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1507
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Where are you finding the DPX as a component bullet?
Wicked Hunter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm

alaskabushmaster wrote:Sheepdog you have perked my ears up. I have stayed away from the fmj for fear they would not expand on flesh. Now I will try that myself. They might make a good bone breaking load afterall and cause some good wound channels. I have stayed under 38grns with the Barnes for fear of pressures with the solid coppers. I'm sure I could work up a little though but my goal was 2100 and it is a real killer. Magtechs are being ordered tonight thanks for the idea. I think I know where there is a dead moose to try it out on the real thing. Maybe that's a little morbid but shooting roadkill is a good way to test sometimes and its still cold here so it wont smell too bad;) I have a brown bear hunt again in may and taking vacation the first two weeks in June. Ill throw all the terminal results on here after the hunts. Moose pics after work.

Welcome aboard matey,

I PH'd out of Tok, for the most part, but have staged out of Talkeetna Lodge, and flown into that strip, many times. I hear that strip is paved now, it was gravel in my day.

FMJ's are your friend (not as accurate as our FTX's, but far and away good enough (actually superior) for your use, A.K.A. minute of Grizzle and they will never let you down). Think of them as already expanded .338's, with far better penetration and when you couple them with a FMJ-Flatpoint (Hornady-SKU: 451871), they disrupt much more tissue, bone, and nervous system, than any expanded bullet, including the .375 H&H. In fact this cartridge came into clear view, while I was Meat-Packing, in the Alaska Range, in the 70's..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby alaskabushmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Ask and ye shall receive. Not a bad moose for the area one neat aspect of the rack is the main brow tine is over 25 inches. I wish I could consider myself a professional hunter. Although I do spend about 100 days a year hunting and fishing. Thanks for the videos of the fmj test. That was impressive. I'm going to order some flatpoint fmj tonight. I have just been give a drill press and might attempt to male my own crimp die like the thread link you sent sheepdog. If I screw it up then oh well I'm out 25 bucks. I get my component bullets from sportsman's warehouse or great northern guns in anchorage. They both carry the hollow point dpx 250 Grn in boxes of 20.
alaskabushmaster

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Cabelas in AK? They sell the MagTek bullets. Nice Bullwinkle! Those things are massive. I'm looking forward to you the results of that MagTeck on a Cadaver/road kill.
This picture pretty much sums up what they look like loaded.

Tim's Hornadys
PS thanx for the nice comments on the video. Some of the camerawork and editing was a bit rough, and my cameraman AKA brass monkey tends to get excited, I still think it was one of the coolest videos I've made yet.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby alaskabushmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 pm

So sheepdog and anybody else that uses the side crimp/factory crimp with this round, have you had any issues with feeding because of the crimp? I guess what I'm getting at is that the crimp is below the case mouth and could possibly flare the case mouth. All of my factory crimp dies are for rounds that seat off the belt or shoulder and they crimp at the mouth.
alaskabushmaster

Postby bushmeister » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the moose pic. I'm headed to Kenai this July and it's good to finally see something that doesn't want to eat me :lol:
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b