250GRN DPX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 250GRN DPX

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

alaskabushmaster wrote:So sheepdog and anybody else that uses the side crimp/factory crimp with this round, have you had any issues with feeding because of the crimp? I guess what I'm getting at is that the crimp is below the case mouth and could possibly flare the case mouth. All of my factory crimp dies are for rounds that seat off the belt or shoulder and they crimp at the mouth.

Nope, that LeGendre Side Crimp wont give you any problems. It's purpose is to dramatically increase bullet pull, giving the powder a much better "Cook". It can decrease accuracy, if you try to put to much crimp on, but the benefits, for the hunter, way out-weigh the negatives.

FMJ's..I had a customer kill a Cow Moose, after the FMJ traveled the length of a Bull Moose, a two-fer. As you know, even a 300 Mag, will rarely penetrate a Moose end to end, whereas with the 450b, that mission is just a walk in the park, when the right load/bullet are used.

A word about the LeGendre Side Crimp, it is said, that, that LeGendre character, is a dead ringer for Brad Pitt, as a mater of fact, the Rock, is LeGendre's Body Double.. wink..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm

I thought that body double was the Michelin Man? :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby alaskabushmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks wildcatter I've been following your adivce on other sites since the first days of the Cal guns thread. Many things I have learned from you. I agree on the penetration. Ive seen the bushy shoot through six ft of bear end to end. I have no doubt a good bullet would pop a moose end to end. Ill be working on my crimp die in a few weeks. Ill PM you if I have any big questions. I have an engine swap in my hunting rig and a Wheeler rebuild before my garage is free and I can get to my. Ench
MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

Postby alaskabushmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Bench....I hate auto correct
alaskabushmaster

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 pm

No feed issues so far. Some of us are applying the side crimp then applying a slight taper crimp to assure reliable feeding. Tim, (Wildcatter) Hoot and a few others are also using this method. I'll let them weigh in.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby dale » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:No feed issues so far. Some of us are applying the side crimp then applying a slight taper crimp to assure reliable feeding. Tim, (Wildcatter) Hoot and a few others are also using this method. I'll let them weigh in.

mine are flared after the side crimp, then taper crimped last, just till they thunk in the chamber ;)
dale

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 pm

commander faschisto wrote:I thought that body double was the Michelin Man? :lol:

Due to his mass consumption of S'mores, I was thinking more along the lines of the StayPuffed Marshmallow Man. :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:45 am

alaskabushmaster wrote:38 GRNS LIL GUN, 250 GRN BARNES DPX, HORNADY BRASS, TAPER CRIMP, WINCHESTER SMALL RFL ...

alaskabushmaster (or anybody)-

When I look online for a 250-grain Barnes DPX bullet, I find only Cor-Bon ammo that they call "DPX", loaded with Barnes XPB bullets.

Is the bullet you're shooting the 250-grain Barnes bullet their XPB bullet Number 45123?

On their web site, Barnes lists them under "454 Casull": Link to Barnes pistol bullet list .

Here's the Midway web page showing this bullet: Midway Item number 613004.

If Barnes #45123 is not the bullet, could you helpfully list information about the what you're using.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 am

+1 on what Bob is requesting. Kottke and I are wondering too.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby alaskabushmaster » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 am

Oh wow I'm sorry guys. You are correct r it is the XPB not DPX good catch! I went and double checked the box. That is the correct link on the bullet. Ill try and change the name of the thread if I can. Try these Guys you will be impressed with accuracy tissue upset and penetration. For me they print an inch and a half high over factory ammo with about 1 and a half inch groups.
alaskabushmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b