Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:17 am

xxInfidelxx wrote:http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf

Getting ready to start putting together a reloading station soon myself. Has anyone used the Hornady loading equipment? How does it compare to other brands. I have heard it's best to learn on a single stage but others have told me to get a progressive because I'll end up wanting to upgrade after I start anyways.

This is like a "Less Filling / Tastes Great" debate looking for a place to happen. ;)

I learned reloading starting in 1970 on my Dad's single stage press and I still use one. I believe that every round I load is the only round I will ever load and I feel that the tactile feedback and control that a single stage press affords me, contributes to the quality of that load. When I was reloading shotgun shells for Trap & Skeet shooting, I used a progressive press due to the quantity I needed each week, but I wasn't experimenting much with shotgun loads. I do love experimenting with rifle and pistol loads though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 am

cantgrowup wrote:I found some WSR primers (and Lil' Gun) at Bass Pro Shop tonight, so I can now replicate the Hornady commercial load. Thanks guys.

Since Hornady says that they use Lil' Gun, I may just pull the bullet on one of my factory Hornady loads and weigh the load to see what they're using.

cantgrowup-
If I understand correctly what you're proposing to do, then DON'T DO THIS.

Your idea of breaking down a Hornady factory load as a way of finding out what to load is based on false premises.

Hornady does not load their ammo with Lil'Gun. Wildcatter has posted several times on this site that they are using WC297 for the factory loads; I suspect he is pretty sure about this, and about such matters he's usually correct. For example: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=493

Unlike the cannister-grade powders that most of us buy commercially in small bottles, 297 is an "OEM" powder furnished to factories in boxcar loads. It will vary from batch to batch, so that Hornady (and individuals who buy WC297 from surplus dealers) have to work up loads for each new lot they obtain. Hornady can find easily the amount of powder to obtain the SAAMI spec velocity and pressures, because they have well-equipped testing facilities. Most of the rest of us have to do the load work-up by trial and error, with hopefully very few errors. It's helpful to have some experience and a heavy dose of wisdom before working with non-cannister powder. BD1 has been working carefully with 297, but if I should obtain some, I would not use his powder charge determinations because my lot may have rather different characteristics than his lot.

Hornady does recommend Lil'Gun for many 450B loads, and that powder has worked well for many on this forum in many 450B appliations. For Lil'Gun and any other powders on Hornady's data sheets, follow their printed recommendations, which are worked up in their lab using cannister-grade powders almost identical to what you purchased.

(I relate the above with some experience. Hornady makes some really fine 6.5x52 ammo that performs well with my two rifles in that caliber. I have become very frustrated while trying to duplicate what they've managed to do. I think Dave Emary, the Hornady ballistics person who developed this ammo, must sprinkle some pixie dust on the powder before it goes into the cases.)

This is not to discourage you from taking apart factory rounds to see what's inside. But knowing how much powder is in a factory round is not a good basis for making decisions about creating your own loads.

If I've messed up the above, the true gurus will be along shortly and straighten things out.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BD1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:49 am

Ammo companies dealing with large lots of powder approach the load from a different perspective than reloaders. They will purchase large lots of powder and then work with the powder and adjust the load to the pressure/velocity spec they are after. Any factory cartridge you buy may, or may not, have the same charge weight that the same brand and cartridge had last year, or last month. It may even be a completely different powder.

A few weeks ago I bought some factory Hornady .450b ammo online just to have some to chrony in my rifle. It is loaded with a powder somewhat similar in appearance to my lot of 297, but with less deterrent coating., and showing some un-coated flakes. It is also slightly faster than my lot. It is definitely not Lil Gun, and may be a blend of several lots of 297, or even 297 and another powder.

The bottom line is: Pulling a factory cartridge to look at, and weigh, the powder inside gives you no real usable information relative to reloading that cartridge.

I have found surplus powder to be an interesting and economically advantageous hobby. However, at the current prices I'm not sure it would be worth the time and effort to start into it. For most applications it's just not that much cheaper than canister these days. I'm glad I bought what I did when I did, but if I live long enough to shoot up my current stocks, I'll probably go back to canister for most of my applications.

BD1
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby cantgrowup » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Good points guys. I figured that since they were so complimentary on Lil' Gun, I naturally assumed that was what they used. Bad assumption, I see..... But I would have:

1. Noticed if the grains looked different than the Lil' Gun, which would have indicated that the commercial load wasn't Lil' Gun.
2. If the weighed charge was outside the limits of their recommended Lil Gun data, then I would have suspected something was wrong.

So, I wasn't going into this blindly, but thanks for the "heads up" that they don't use Lil Gun in their commercial loads.

One other question..... will the Hornady dies bullet seater work on the Hornady 250gr FTX bullets or do I need to special order a seater?
cantgrowup

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I want to second, third, and fourth everything Hoot, Pittedbore, and BD, just said, except for the thing the Doc said about me, when he wrote the word, "usually"..wink.

Listen guys, if you are new to reloading, I say again, read all the manuals, and make loads that are tame, until you get experience. Keep in mind a load wherein the powders are somewhat slow, in burn rate. Why? Because you can get into serious trouble and slower powders will generally keep you out of trouble. Example, lil-gun is a good choice, and will yield normal pressures, in bullets less than say 250gr+-. If you go to a 296 product, the pressures will drop, but there are some serious problems with using to little powder in the case. My Recommendations, for a new reloader is to go to a good single base powder, something in say, the 4227 arena. This does several things at the same time, the best being, you're "Probably" not going to over pressure it your load, notice the I said Probably, because you you can wreck anything, if you try hard enough. And the slight reduction in speeds won't mean a thing, in reality. Won't kill any less. Won't drop anymore, appreciably. And wind drift won't be a hill of beans more. So, my vote, is to learn what you are doing, by going the safety route first, use a single stage press, like Hoot is recommending, heed the wisdom of the BD crew, and never pay any attention to the Doc when he is teasing me, other than that you'd better heed his counsel..

FYI.. I am working up some loads for Barnes and shipping them a gun, by Monday. This for a hunt for piggies of the 650+- class. I am using their 325gr Barnes Busters, as requested. They are getting 1700fps out of a 45-70, 24" barrel, I suppose and this from their lever gun (I'm at 2100fps, in our rig, 20" barrel, and that might change and I don't know which way yet), but they don't want to use that 45-70 lever action again, because, recoil is way to much and, more importantly, if things aren't settled with one shot, they prolly won't get a second, and get a serious beating from a somewhat unruly, Hogvilla Type, instead. Whereas, I demonstrate five rounds all in the black in much less than 2 seconds, @25yds. This is the safety margin they want for their Executives and our 450b is the only way to go, so they think. Do you think differently?

I mention this as an example to our new guys and not as a Hi-jack. To do this requires much, and you need to not try to duplicate anything I am doing or breaking down factory loads, for to do otherwise is to risk a Hogvilla affair, and destroy your gun or your fingers or worst. Many of us here are experts and are talking back and fourth, you can learn from this chatter, but always treat it as "Chatter" and NOT as Gospel, for we make mistakes too. Go slow, read allot, talk things over, use slow powders at first, to keep the pressures down, but not to slow, for that can get you into trouble too and use a good single stage press, when you finally graduate to a progressive, you won't get rid of the single stage. My RockChucker has the #1 position on my personal bench, and I have a bunch of positions, I got it about 45 years ago. I use just about every press ever made, but my single stage, is what gets used more than any other style. When I'm trying to figure things out, I sure don't want to complicate things any more than they are already, so MR. RCBS RockChucker, is the one that always pulls me through..t

Now go fourth and learn, when you get done learning, learn some more, for the more I think I have it all figured out, I get reminded just how much I don't know! When you get done, teach us the things you have learned, because we don't know it all either..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby cantgrowup » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:22 am

Okay... final question on the Hornady 250gr FTX handloads. Their data shows they recommend a COL of 2.225", but when I measured my factory loads for that same bullet, they're 2.247". Different powders aside, the COL should be the same for a given bullet. Why the .022" difference? Sloppy QA at the factory? Or maybe it's my brand new RCBS calipers I just bought yesterday..... They are made in China. :shock:
cantgrowup

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:18 am

cantgrowup wrote:Okay... final question on the Hornady 250gr FTX handloads. Their data shows they recommend a COL of 2.225", but when I measured my factory loads for that same bullet, they're 2.247". Different powders aside, the COL should be the same for a given bullet. Why the .022" difference? Sloppy QA at the factory? Or maybe it's my brand new RCBS calipers I just bought yesterday..... They are made in China. :shock:

Hornady's QA varies from lot to lot but to measure accurately, you need to use a comparator that indexes on the bullet's ogive, not simply measuring from the base to the polymer tip. The tips are not a reliable dimension to include in the measurement. Earlier this year, I got some new brass from them and out of the box, it varied IIRC from 1.682 to 1.700. That did not win any points for Hornady in my book. However, a month ago, I bought another box for deer season loads and they only varied from 1.692 to 1.700, with the majority of them being 1.694 to 1.696. So, it would come as no surprise if their finished rounds varied as well. If I'm not trying to match up a cannelure to the mouth for crimping purposes, I load them as long as I can and still fit them in the magazine. That having been said, my experience with this caliber has been that if the brass itself is not out of tolerance, COL is not nearly as important as consistent crimp tension. My go-to load (225 FTX) is only 2.12 to 2.15 COL measured base to tip for the reason I just mentioned. Since the 250 FTX has no cannelure(s) to aid in crimp retention, I load them as long as I can and still fit them in the mag. The 250's are not my go to bullet as I only use the 450b for white tail hunting and you don't need that kind of oomph to kill them. Heck, you don't need the 225's for that matter, but they're half the price of the 250's and shoot like a laser. Point being, if I spent more time pursuing an OCW /OBT approach to the 250's, I'd probably have a more profound load for them than "as long as possible". ;)

BTW, My Starrett calipers are no more accurate than the ones I bought from Harbor Freight (China Charlie's) a couple of years ago.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jmontgomery » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf

Getting ready to start putting together a reloading station soon myself. Has anyone used the Hornady loading equipment? How does it compare to other brands. I have heard it's best to learn on a single stage but others have told me to get a progressive because I'll end up wanting to upgrade after I start anyways.

I started on a single stage press. I now use and can recomend the Lee Classic turret press. You can use it like a single stage or auto index.
I wish they would make some dies for the 450B.
jmontgomery

Postby artalon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:04 pm

got a Lee classic for the 50 BMG and an RCBS rockchucker for everything else, love them both
Im sure you'll like the Hornady just fine, the progressive presses are great if your into production, I wished I had one during the obama scare
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby BD1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 am

One of the best ways to start into reloading is to buy the RCBS "master" kit that comes with a press, powder measure, lube pad and other goodies. It used to come complete with a case trimmer, but no longer. I think that Hornady sells a setup like that as well. The other way to go is to watch the want adds for someone getting out of the hobby. I've gotten some great deals like that. I have red orange and green on my bench, and they all work. You absolutely can't beat the customer service from RCBS or Hornady. I've heard good things about about Dillon as well, but never spent the $$ to put blue on the bench. I no a few guys that really like the new Lee classic cast iron single stage, but I haven't used one myself. Lee has always been an excellent innovator in the industry, but their quality control and materials have been spotty at times.

The first thing I'd do is find all the used reloading manuals you can, and read them. If you can find an old guy near by who's been at it a while, you can speed up the learning curve a lot.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b