Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm

I got a lot of mileage out of a Lee Challenger Kit (~20 years) when I first started reloading. I now use a Lee Classic Cast Press. Best bang for the buck press out there. As with any press, clean and lube where there's metal on metal and it'll last you a long time. A lot of folks ignore preventive maintenance. They're the ones who can afford to buy something repeatedly. As BD1 said, buy a reloading manual and actually read more than the few pages that apply to the caliber(s) you're interested in. There is also a plethora of knowledge online. Just be careful of opinions being proffered as fact and never accept advice from a man who claims to understand women. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 am

xxInfidelxx wrote:http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf

Getting ready to start putting together a reloading station soon myself. Has anyone used the Hornady loading equipment? How does it compare to other brands. I have heard it's best to learn on a single stage but others have told me to get a progressive because I'll end up wanting to upgrade after I start anyways.

I started off in around 1984 with RCBS but in the past decade, started
Using Hornady dies more. I also like Lee dies for my 7mm Mag
And my 30-06. Lees crimp dies are great. I do like Hornady pistol
Dies over RCBS. But I still depend on my RCBS press and accessories.
PS- I have been using the same press, an RCBS Rock Chucker since I
Bought it used, in 1984.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Midway has the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 7th Edition, Reloading Manual on sale for $20.81, while supplies last. That would be an excellent choice for a reloading manual.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Hoot wrote:Midway has the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 7th Edition, Reloading Manual on sale for $20.81, while supplies last. That would be an excellent choice for a reloading manual.

Hoot

I don't think this has our cartridge in it, or does it. Maybe soon, when the new editions of all the manuals start to come out, we'll finally get some additional coverage..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby artalon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 am

I think midway said the new edition of Hornady comes out this month, do you know if this one going to have the 450B loads
sorry if it was brought up earlier an I missed it
also I am very interested in the pressures, I looked around a bit and got sidetracked on all the other great info
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:25 am

wildcatter wrote:I don't think this has our cartridge in it, or does it. Maybe soon, when the new editions of all the manuals start to come out, we'll finally get some additional coverage..t

I just recommended it because that's a very reasonable price for such a vast collection of information for the beginning reloader. I still consult my 3rd Edition on a regular basis when reloading all the other calibers I have. I daresay you can get more information specifically for the 450b on this forum than will ever be summarized in any book. Why pay $10.00 more for the 8th, just to get what is already here. For the experienced reloader, buying a reloading manual with all that's available online for free is a waste of money. My favorite web site is the Hodgdon site for the most info in one stop, with lots of recipes. There are about a half dozen other sites as useful. Again, that is for the experienced reloader. I have a bone up my butt for the sites that charge you money. No one should have to pay for an answer to their question. The internet was founded for sharing knowledge for free, but that's just my opinion.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:26 am

For a new reloader the first few chapters of any of the Hornady or Nosler manuals will be very educational. It doesn't need to be the latest edition as the basics haven't changed. Data is available many places, reliable instruction in the basics is harder to ferret out on the net.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby pitted bore » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 am

To BD1's list I would add any recent edition (47th, 48th, 49th) of the Lyman Reloading Handbook.

The information on methods and techniques is in the Sierra manuals also, but it is not as well organized or illustrated as in the Hornady, Nosler, or Lyman guides.

Some of the instructional DVDs now available should be excellent for beginning reloaders. Although I've not seen any, I have read good things about the "RCBS Precisioneered Handloading" DVD, and the Redding DVD "Advanced Handloading: Beyond The Basics". These DVDs are the product of several minds each dedicated to seeing that the viewer does things right, and survives to keep on buying reloading equipment and supplies. (This might be better than having local old-timers personally show how it's done, passing along their errors. Some of the "instructional" youtube reloading videos make me cringe.)

--B0b
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 pm

.."Listen Up New Reloader's" What was just said in the last three post is Gospel and you'd better heed this advice. For we of great experience still use our old manuals, and buy all manor of new manuals, to constantly re-bone up on basics, All-The-Time, right guys? ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Midway Has the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme master single
Stage press kit on sale (December 2010 ad, #282).
includes rock Chucker press and a plethora of accessories
Including scale, powder measure, hand priming tool, Speer
Reloading manual and more!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b