Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I wasn't paying attention to the bullet weight in your previous post. I've only used 2400 with 185 and 200 gr bullets. I would think it's a bit too fast for the heavier bullets. As claimbuster said, it's hard to beat Lil Gun for the 225s and 250s, but that's just my experience.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I have never reloaded, but considering the cost of the Bushmaster 450 ammo (and some concerns about availability), I have considered saving my brass and trying to reload. I would only be using standard loads - not trying to improve performance or anything like that.

My question is, what would be a vary basic setup for hand loading say 100 rounds at a time, all manual with no fancy equipment, just good quality stuff? If it costs $500, I will probably pass and use the money to support Hornady. If I could get a setup for $150, then I wouild consider it. In between - I don't know. What would I need and what are the best brands of equipment? Is there a place to go for used reloading gear, and would anyone recommend going this route?

Thanks for any input.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I have never reloaded, but considering the cost of the Bushmaster 450 ammo (and some concerns about availability), I have considered saving my brass and trying to reload. I would only be using standard loads - not trying to improve performance or anything like that.

My question is, what would be a vary basic setup for hand loading say 100 rounds at a time, all manual with no fancy equipment, just good quality stuff? If it costs $500, I will probably pass and use the money to support Hornady. If I could get a setup for $150, then I wouild consider it. In between - I don't know. What would I need and what are the best brands of equipment? Is there a place to go for used reloading gear, and would anyone recommend going this route?

Thanks for any input.

RCBS Rock Chucker starter kit! I've had mine since 1984 and it
Has served me very well. I load for 9 different calibers and it
Has been a great press. I do like the Lee and Hornady dies
And I have all kinds of accessories from several different
Manufacturers, but the Rock Chucker is a great single stage
Press. I would not suggest a progressive press for a newby.
I've been reloading since 1984 and the only time I wished I
had a multi-stage press is when I am loading 9pm, 45ACP,
And 38/357mag.
But that's just my .02
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I reloaded quality rounds for over 10 years with just the Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit. I'm still using the safe-primer. You can still get it for $99.99 and have jingle left for Hornady 450b dies, Lil Gun powder and bullets. I would not recommend it for resizing brass to a smaller caliber or swaging bullets, but otherwise it worked very well for me. If you go that way, make sure to order a trickler. They're not expensive.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Jim in Houston-
If you're just starting out, then knowledge is going to be much more valuable than any equipment. Some self-education will save a lot of grief and money. Here's some advice that was given earlier in this thread (tnx to BD1):

Start with reading the first chapters of any or all of the Nosler, Hornady, or Lyman reloading manuals. The very latest editions are not needed for the basic initial instruction. They walk you through the whys, wherefores and hows of the reloading process.

Also, consider one or wto instructional DVDs now available. They should be excellent for beginning reloaders. Although I've not seen any, I have read good things about the "RCBS Precisioneered Handloading" DVD, and the Redding DVD "Advanced Handloading: Beyond The Basics". These DVDs are the product of several minds. Each is dedicated to seeing that the viewer does things right, and survives to keep on buying reloading equipment and supplies. I think these might be better than having local old-timers personally show how it's done, and pass along their errors. Some of the "instructional" youtube reloading videos make me cringe.

Because the instruction manuals and videos are produced by corporations that sell reloading equipment and supplies, there's some brand-specific bias built in to their instructions. After you have made out a shopping list, come back to the forum and ask for opinions on items and sources.

Used equipment can be a money saver too. Develop a shopping list, and we'll try to help.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks to all for the info. This is looking do-able. Still open for further suggestions, so anyone else with info, please post.

I will check out the suggested equipment and reloading manuals and DVD's, then come back.
Jim in Houston

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm

After some research and a couple of YouTube videos, this looks like the least expensive option for a beginning reloading set up:

Lee Breechlock Challenger Press Kit:
    Challenger Breech Lock single stage press
    1 Breech Lock Die Bushing
    Lee Safety Scale
    Perfect Powder Measure
    Powder Funnel
    Lock Stud and Cutter
    Lee chamfer tool
    Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Auto-Prime XR
    Set of Auto-Prime Shellholders
    Tube of Sizing Lube
Hornady Dies

This comes in at around $200 - all new equipement purchased on line.

In addition, the videos indicate I also may need:
    Case length gauge
    Concentricty gauge
    Dial caliper

This equipment adds another $125 to the total. Are these items really needed, or is this for competion loads, where extreme accuracy is needed?

Using Hogden Lil Gun Powder (thanks to other threads on this board for loading info), Factory Bullets (Hornady FXT 250 gr) and WInchester Large Rifle Primers, I figure the breakeven point for reloading vs buying rounds (at current prices) is about 450 rounds.

Does this seem reasonable? Any items I have forgotten? Any other equipment I should check out? Anyone have problems with Lee equipment. Yes, it seems to be the bargain brand, but I am not reloading on an industrial scale, and Dillon, RCSP, and Hornady seem to be much, much more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any additional input.
Jim in Houston

Postby gunnut » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm

lee will do just fine.RCBS rock chucker will last generations. Get a digital scale and caliper, They are cheep..calipers can replace case gage.....Use the spray case lube.
I'm using Zero 230grn. FMJs "They are cost effective" for testing and plinking. They will also work well for hunting if allowed.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't own a case length gauge, a concentricity gauge, any dies that feature a dial for .001 step increments and have done okay so far, but I'm not shooting competition either. I do have a set of bullet comparators that fit onto my calipers and they help for a few calibers I load to the lands. I'm preferential to Imperial lube. A tin lasts a long long time, but I have used spray lube as well. I found the imperial to be Slipperier. Harbor freight 6" stainless steel digital calipers are on sale for $15.99 and they're plenty accurate. Don't forget the powder trickler. I prefer to weigh all charges, as opposed to using a Perfect Powder Measure, though I still have the one that came with my kit. It can save some time to drop almost the load you are using and then weigh out the last bit. That's where the trickler comes in. The lock stud and cutters work fine for calibers I need to trim. I have quite a few of them but I also have an RCBS trim-pro. Both have their value. Save yourself $5.00 and don't bother buying a 450 Bushmaster lock stud and cutter. I did and have yet to need it since they're never too long from the factory and get continually shorter. Otherwise, I'd say you're on the money with the rest of your list. I eventually graduated from the Challenger press to the Lee Classic Cast press. Very beefy.

I'm a big believer in paying back good fortune. I have benefited from the generosity of others, including some on this forum. Now it's my turn. The Lee Classic Cast press alone costs about the same as the Challenger kit from Midway. If you buy the Classic Cast Press, I'll give you the Perfect Powder Measure, Scale, Funnel, primer pocket cleaner and anything else I have but no longer use that came in my Challenger kit. I'm going to Harbor Freight tomorrow and can pick up the caliper for you if you don't have one near your. That'll be on your nickel, but the rest is free if you promise to use them. I can get it all in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. Which I'll throw in for the positive karma. I was going to put them on the Calguns free to a good home thread anyway as they're just collecting dust. You'll still need the chamfer tool, auto primer & shellholders. There are better chamfer tools anyway.

How's that sound?

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 am

Way-To-Go Hoot!

I love seeing the generosity of the members of this board to each other. We do it mostly in our respectful speech or helpful demeanor, and in Hoots case, in hardware, that took hard-earned money to obtain. You Guys are something else, if not on the wonderful side..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b