Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby cantgrowup » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Okay... got my rifle all set up.... got lots of brass... got the dies.... got some Hornady 250 FTX bullets. Now all I need is some reload data? I'd like to replicate the commercial Hornady load for the 250 FTX. Anyone know what powder/weight/primer to use?
cantgrowup

Re: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby Siringo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Go into the knowledge base on this site. See top of this page. In it is Hornady's load data. To duplicate factory -- I use 35.1 grains of Lil'Gun and a Winchester Small Rifle Primer.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:24 am

If you have trouble getting the WSR primers, the Remington 7 1/2 primers are also a good choice. I've burned through over half of a 1k brick of them with excellent results in my 450b. Very positive ignition and not one failure, knock on wood...

Consistent neck tension is the key to repeatable, positive results.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cantgrowup » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Has anyone tried CCI Small Rifle Primers in place of the Winchester Small Rifle primers?
cantgrowup

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:05 pm

cantgrowup wrote:Has anyone tried CCI Small Rifle Primers in place of the Winchester Small Rifle primers?

Before I bought the Rem 7 1/2's I had a brick of CCI BR4's. While they were perfect with the faster 2400 powder loads I did for the 450b, They were woefully too weak for Lil Gun and H110. I'm sure the non-BR CCI SRP's are no better. Get the WSR's or Rem's.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Hoot-
Have you tried the CCI #450 SR Mag primers?

From another project, I have an excess of CCI No. 41 SR Military primers, which are described by CCI as being a magnum primer with a harder cup. I intend to try some of these, and I'll try to remember to report on results here.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:22 pm

pitted bore wrote:Hoot-

From another project, I have an excess of CCI No. 41 SR Military primers, which are described by CCI as being a magnum primer with a harder cup. I intend to try some of these, and I'll try to remember to report on results here.

--Bob

No Bob, I have never tried them. I have never had problems with primer cups being too soft, or even how that problem manifests in operation, so I don't know what the harder cup achieves.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby cantgrowup » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:59 pm

I found some WSR primers (and Lil' Gun) at Bass Pro Shop tonight, so I can now replicate the Hornady commercial load. Thanks guys.

Since Hornady says that they use Lil' Gun, I may just pull the bullet on one of my factory Hornady loads and weigh the load to see what they're using.
cantgrowup

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Hoot wrote:
pitted bore wrote:Hoot-

--Bob

No Bob, I have never tried them. I have never had problems with primer cups being too soft, or even how that problem manifests in operation, so I don't know what the harder cup achieves.

Hoot

The usual manifested problem is with a slam fire. Other than that, there seems to be a problem with cutting corners with primers, in the industry and having ignition problems. I don't know if this is actually a cost thing or that the QA is suffering from all of the crash work, from years of being behind and the war and all..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby xxInfidelxx » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 pm

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf

Getting ready to start putting together a reloading station soon myself. Has anyone used the Hornady loading equipment? How does it compare to other brands. I have heard it's best to learn on a single stage but others have told me to get a progressive because I'll end up wanting to upgrade after I start anyways.
xxInfidelxx

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b