Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Okay... ready to start reloading for the Hornady 250 FTX

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun May 15, 2011 6:56 pm

OK. Loaded my first batch of 450 Bushmasters using my Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Reloading Kit. I was "successful" (well, I haven't been to the range yet) with 44 out of 45 cartridges in all (I damaged one case in the seating die). A couple of observations:

I did not use the expander die - after sizing, bullets could be seated by placing them on top of the empty case and sliding them carefully into the seating die. I backed off the crimping collet (using the "Seating without Crimping" instructions that came with the die), so that there was no (roll) crimping during the seating.
    I was shooting for a COL of 2.225", but it is tough to get a good caliper measurement with that "rubber" tip.
    I used the taper crimp die (the fourth die in the Hornady set) to get a diameter of .476 (OK, maybe .477) at the mouth of the case. Most were already there. I measured some of the factory loads; they were all .480.
    The factory powder measure was remarkably accurate re repeatability. I was checking after every five rounds, but went to every 10th (measured COL and case mouth at the same frequency) after 20 rounds, since nothing was changing.

Thanks to all the contributors to this and related threads on helping me select equipment and refine (heck, learn) my reloading techniques. Here is a photo of my first reload. I call it the $528.01 round. I will be off to the range in the next couple of days to proof the pudding.
Attachments
First Round 5x7 72.jpg
First Round 5x7 72.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 11105 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 16, 2011 4:14 am

James, that's a mighty fine round you got there..

You have embarked on a journey that will stay with you for the rest of your life and beyond, as you train the next generation. Many good things will come, for you and for those you surround, because of this work and will bleed into your everyday life, you have now come to be joined with all that is good, that has transpired in American History. When I think of the Pioneers, out on the Great Plains, and their monumental struggles, snuggling up to a campfire, melting lead for bullets, to be used in the next days hunt, real and raw survival comes to mind. So it is, you too are blazing new trails into the lives of all around you, and for the Better Good. The very fact that you now reload and shoot for perfection, as only you can define, sets you apart from the hoard, that walk around in the Fog of the Un-known. I for one and there are many here as well, feel a kinship with you and are proud to see you make this jump.

Good go 'ol man..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon May 16, 2011 7:41 am

What a great post, Wildcatter, no way I could have said it better.
Jim, welcome to the facinating world of handloading. Good job!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Hoot » Mon May 16, 2011 8:50 pm

wildcatter wrote:James, that's a mighty fine round you got there..

You have embarked on a journey that will stay with you for the rest of your life and beyond, as you train the next generation. Many good things will come, for you and for those you surround, because of this work and will bleed into your everyday life, you have now come to be joined with all that is good, that has transpired in American History. When I think of the Pioneers, out on the Great Plains, and their monumental struggles, snuggling up to a campfire, melting lead for bullets, to be used in the next days hunt, real and raw survival comes to mind. So it is, you too are blazing new trails into the lives of all around you, and for the Better Good. The very fact that you now reload and shoot for perfection, as only you can define, sets you apart from the hoard, that walk around in the Fog of the Un-known. I for one and there are many here as well, feel a kinship with you and are proud to see you make this jump.

Good go 'ol man..

..t

Ya' right. Tim stole that from the commencement ceremony at BYU and changed a couple of words. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Hoot wrote:

Good go 'ol man..

..t

Ya' right. Tim stole that from the commencement ceremony at BYU and changed a couple of words. ;)

Hoot

LOLOL!!!

Heck BYU steals my stuff.

BTW, I just got back from a BYU Commencement about three weeks ago. My Step-Son Graduated as a Rocket Scientist or sumptin like dat..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 am

Hoot wrote:

Good go 'ol man..

..t

Hoot

ROTFLMAO!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Just back from the range after firing my first reloaded cartridges. On the right is the group of 20 Hornady factory loads. On the left below are the results with 20 reloaded rounds. I changed the scope settings between the group at 11 o'clock and those more toward the center for the reloads. Don't know where the two fliers came from. Must have been a wind gust. Of course, some of you will consider all 20 to be a group of fliers, but nothing blew up and all of the rounds fired.
Attachments
Target Comparison.jpg
Target Comparison.jpg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 11067 times
Jim in Houston

Postby khamill2000 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Assuming that's at 100 yards, that's almost exactly what my groups look like. Dead is dead.
khamill2000

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 am

khamill2000 wrote:Assuming that's at 100 yards, that's almost exactly what my groups look like. Dead is dead.

Yep - 100 yards
Jim in Houston

Postby Siringo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 am

Great groups!

Sometimes flyers are the first shot out of a clean barrel. Did you clean you barrel between factory and reloads? With the chrome bore, I always fire a couple of shots and leave it as is when I hunt. That is what I like about the chrome bore on the 450.
Siringo

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b