speer deep curl 300grn

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: speer deep curl 300grn

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 pm

I picked up a jug of 296 this evening at Cabelas.....(Along with a big ass deer feeder! :roll: )
Gonna give these 250 Grain deep curls a try soon!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I picked up a jug of 296 this evening at Cabelas.....(Along with a big ass deer feeder! :roll: )
Gonna give these 250 Grain deep curls a try soon!

It sure burns clean and it smells like my memory tells me that burned powder should. Lil Gun smells like Baltimore. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat May 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Hoot wrote:Interesting groups and on par accuracy-wise with the ones I shot. That is until the last group. If all three groups were 50 yards, I would not have expected to see that much vertical stringing as a function of differing velocity. As I said in some other post, the 300's 100 yard POI seemed more sensitive to velocity change, then what I see with lighter bullets. I have great groups from the 200s and 225s that varied almost as much in velocity as the 300s I shot, yet there was only the slightest vertical stringing. Certainly within the same tolerance as the horizontal spread they sustained for my ability to shoot.

I don't do much heavy bag work and perhaps that's normal when you're into the rainbow trajectory zone.

I have also incurred vertical stringing like that, that was the result of me experimenting (out of frustration) with my hold on the rifle and trying to hold it in an absolute death grip. Great horizontal dispersion, but 2" of vertical.

Glad they worked out for you.

Hoot

I shot first group my father in law shot second and I shot third. Was not waiting as long as u do between shots. Last group was shot in less than 30 seconds and yes I was gripping it hard .
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm

With respect to 300 gr bullets, Midway is currently selling .452 blems - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/122974/blemished-muzzleloading-bullets-45-cal-452-diameter-300-grain-polymer-tipped-spitzer-box-of-50-for-use-with-50-caliber-sabot-bulk-packaged.

Can anyone clarify is these could be loaded similar to the Speer DC's discussed in this thread? They seem to be pretty attractively priced and of the same design at the 250 gr FTX, just heavier.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:With respect to 300 gr bullets, Midway is currently selling .452 blems - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/122974/blemished-muzzleloading-bullets-45-cal-452-diameter-300-grain-polymer-tipped-spitzer-box-of-50-for-use-with-50-caliber-sabot-bulk-packaged.

Can anyone clarify is these could be loaded similar to the Speer DC's discussed in this thread? They seem to be pretty attractively priced and of the same design at the 250 gr FTX, just heavier.

Yes Jim, I've done it. I'll see if I can find my load notes. I actually got a dozen to play with and then bought another box, but haven't gotten back out with them. I found them new for around the same price Midway is selling the blems for. Their tip is harder than the FTX's, not that it matters in our application.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Jim and Hoot --- do a search of "300 gr FXT". In July of '09, I had done several tests with these bullets. For whatever reason, they shot lower at 200 yards than did the 300 xtp Mag bullet.
Siringo

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 am

Hoot wrote:Yes Jim, I've done it. I'll see if I can find my load notes. I actually got a dozen to play with and then bought another box, but haven't gotten back out with them. I found them new for around the same price Midway is selling the blems for. Their tip is harder than the FTX's, not that it matters in our application.

Hoot

Thanks, Hoot. Looking forward to any loading information you can provide. I bought one box so that I could try out several loads, but I need to know where to start.
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 am

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks, Hoot. Looking forward to any loading information you can provide. I bought one box so that I could try out several loads, but I need to know where to start.

Forgive me if you covered this already, but what powder(s) are you considering using Jim?

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Hoot,

I am using Lil Gun for the 250 gr and 225 gr reloads. I think I saw that mentioned as suitable for the 300 gr as well - also 1680? May have that number wrong. I am not adverse to buying whatever brand I need.

BTW, miss your avatar!
Jim in Houston

Postby cptrifeg2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 am

kottke_35 wrote:Went to the range today. shot several different loads including the 300gr speer deepcurl and lilgun powder with rem 7 1/2 primers.

36 and 37 grains of powder looked like I was patterning a shot gun...Maybe 3 inch groups.

36.5 gr printed an 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. Nothing worth bragging about but I was impressed how much a half grain difference of powder made in performance.

I didn't see any adverse pressure signs. I will inspect cases when I get home, and try to upload some photos.

http://m1262.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... g.html?o=0

B.

I bought 100 of the 300 grain deep curls and 50 of the Hornady HP XTP Bullets, .452, 300 grain. I am a very green loader, would 36.5 grains of lil'gun with factory seating/crimp specs be optimal for 300 yard engagement for both rounds?

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b