What powder to use?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

What powder to use?

Postby randyf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm going to load up some of these just for fun......

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169177 ... roductDesc
Cast Performance 395gr gas check .452 diameter

I was going to run around 27gr of Lil Gun...........any other powder recommendations?
randyf

Re: What powder to use?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I don't know of anyone who has tried that heavy of a pill before.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:11 pm

You might want to use the search function on the forum here to look for the previous discussions and trials of cast boolits in the 450b before you launch any...its turned out to be something of a mixed result, at best...jus' sayin'...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm

randyf-

Cast projectiles have been discussed continuously on this forum. Here are some of the threads, some of them with the information you need to get started, and some discussing the problems you will encounter. Some of the titles are deceptive and seem unrelated to cast bullets; read them and find otherwise.

Some of the threads have the same titles, but different questions, answers, and discussion.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 am

randyf wrote:I'm going to load up some of these just for fun......

I was going to run around 27gr of Lil Gun...........any other powder recommendations?

Cast Performance bullet advertise 3000fps possibilities, without leading the barrel. You may have some minor accuracy problems with the gas checks, maybe/maybe not, shoot'em and let us know.

For any bullet heavier than 275gr, AA-1680 is the better powder, for over-all performance (generally, more speed with lower pressures). You can use lil-gun, but the pressures will peek quickly and leave allot of speed, on the table, that 1680 would otherwise pick up, and you still won't hit CP's 3000fps bullet max. With bullet that heavy even RX7 could be a good choice, which is somewhat slower.

Lil-Gun and 395's could make a pretty decent plinking load..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby randyf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

wildcatter wrote:

Cast Performance bullet advertise 3000fps possibilities, without leading the barrel. You may have some minor accuracy problems with the gas checks, maybe/maybe not, shoot'em and let us know.

For any bullet heavier than 275gr, AA-1680 is the better powder, for over-all performance (generally, more speed with lower pressures). You can use lil-gun, but the pressures will peek quickly and leave allot of speed, on the table, that 1680 would otherwise pick up, and you still won't hit CP's 3000fps bullet max. With bullet that heavy even RX7 could be a good choice, which is somewhat slower.

..t

I was going to pick up some AA 1680 for some jacketed bullets I was also loading.

From what I read the 395gr bullet gives better accuracy at lower speeds ( don't know if its true or not, because I have not shot any yet).
About how much 1680 should I put behind the 395gr pill??
randyf

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:51 pm

wildcatter wrote:

..t

What?!
300+ grain bullets going at 3000FPS? Out of a 450 Bushmaster?
Tim?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:51 pm

randyf wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

I was going to pick up some AA 1680 for some jacketed bullets I was also loading.

From what I read the 395gr bullet gives better accuracy at lower speeds ( don't know if its true or not, because I have not shot any yet).
About how much 1680 should I put behind the 395gr pill??

Boy, I don"t know.

Are you familiar with my method of ascertaining how much powder is maximum?? Short Form here, and you'll have to be the Arbitrator, as to what's safe. Using a 1/4"drill drill, drill out the primer pocket. Seat and crimp, the 395, for a dummy round, to the correct OAL. Fill the case to the cartridge head, with the powder of choice, that should represent the max powder you can get into the case, not necessarily the safest, just a wall to look for, when you do finally start loading.

Somebody will give you a "Quick Load" starting load. From there, using all of the safety protocols, work up your load. Of course all of this isn't necessary if someone has already done the ground work, for that particular bullet..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

What?!
300+ grain bullets going at 3000FPS? Out of a 450 Bushmaster?
Tim?

Well, you and I could do it, but I'm not going to recommend it to anyone else. Of course, we'd have to break all the rules to get it done and a 4' barrel might be necessary, but then who's counting? I think he might be in the 1800-2000fps area, when he's done..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Ah. Thanx. I was getting excited there for a moment.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b