CAST BULLETS discussions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Tripplebeards » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:27 pm

They’re was and then the person who started the group buy combined them and just had one mold made. But they offered it in .452 and .454. I believe the .454 looks a little bit different “smaller meplate” from what one of the other members told me After seeing my boolits I casted with it. If I knew Ruger was going to switch me out guns I wouldn’t got rid of the mold until I tried it in the scout. I have a feeling a 266 grain hollowpoint pushed at 2200 ft./s and faster is probably going to make a massive mess out of any Deer and probably need to go with a solid casted with softer alloy for some expansion. I’ll find out if it feeds and if so I’ll try my 20 pounds I casted up on a whitetail.

Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Not a great comparison, but something to think about: my 155 grain deep hollow points from my NOE mold in 10mm explode at anything higher than 1050-1100 fps. The same bullet in cup point (165gr) can be shot up to 1500 fps or so with good weight retention in water jugs. My Lee 457-340 at 1850 will mushroom nice as a flat point.

All this to say that a soft HP at 2200 will probably disintegrate shortly after impact. You never really know until you try it though.
Rklenke

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:58 am

Got the scout this morning. It doesn’t cycle with cast either unless I arm wrestle the bolt back-and-forth a few times and chew up the front of the boolit. Got excited the first four cycled flawlessly of my dummy rounds and then the next four tries 1 to 2 of the four jammed. The front of my barrel is resting on the stock and making a click when I grab it as it’s moving around. The Woodstock has a lot of flex more than my American did with a plastic stock. I’ll have to float it And glass bed it. I am thoroughly convinced the 450 bushmaster round is not made to be cycled smoothly in a bolt action unless you’re using a pointed FTX or similar pointed bullet. I would assume that’s why you don’t see a lot of straight wall pistol cartridges in bolt actions. The shorter straight wall pistol cartridges seem to do good like my 77/44.
Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 am

I find it hard to believe you'd be the only one with feeding problems, there has to be a quick fix out there somewhere. Sounds frustrating, hope you get it fixed. Those are some nice looking bullets BTW.
Rklenke

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:43 am

Y’all might want to go follow this cat on FB.
20405F77-6DBD-4E29-BAE9-9391EE799210.jpeg
20405F77-6DBD-4E29-BAE9-9391EE799210.jpeg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 26272 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:29 am

I found this post on another forum but I believe it contains a ton of relavent information regarding cast bullets and issues that we also see in the 450 Bushmaster. It’s a very long and comprehensive post but there’s diagrams that I believe will also apply to those of use who reload.
http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm ... t=next#new
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Rklenke » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:58 am

That was a good read from a good forum. I'm particularly fond of my 10s. I usually take my 10mm 1911 with me when I hunt with my 450 so I'm a frequent visitor to both sites.

On a different note, is there anyone here that was part of the recent NOE group buy for the 450 that has any information on it?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
Rklenke

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 am

Rklenke wrote:
On a different note, is there anyone here that was part of the recent NOE group buy for the 450 that has any information on it?

You might want to start a new thread where more people will see it and the question won’t be smothered by pages of other comments. As for me, no I wasn’t involved.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 am

I have the Mold TB sold off. (Not from him) Its a dandy mold!!! I also have and use the Lyman 457122 Gould MORE! Being 330g its a more substantial bullet. Cast of WW expands beautifully <1509 fps.

Accuracy has been sub 2" @ 100. I didnt get accuracy till I past 1500 fps. But thats fine as it sheds vel fast.

I would love to pursue a 457124 RN in HP! But probably wouldnt be much different from my Gould HP mold.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby jmbod » Sun May 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Reflections on polymer bullets: 250 grain ACME brand. I use as my sight in bullet, 37 g H 110. I use 250 ftx for hunting. POI for the coated bullet is not the same which is expected, 2" away from bullseye. 100 yd groups from a rest resulted in about 1 1/2-2 moa from the lead polymer. I have shied away from using lead bullets due to the leading and cleaning requirement, no problem with the polymer bullets. Barrel is clean. Reloading practice has to include belling the case sufficiently to avoid scratching the coating this is a must or leading would be bad with no lube. In sum, coated bullets are amazing, and adds a new dimension for rifle shooters (already proven for pistols).

FTX bullets in 2022 are around .90, for the really strapped shooter, a polymer offers a cheaper alternative and with rising prices even polymer pills are selling for 20-35 per. I cant comment on deer recovery using polymer I havent shot one yet; however many hunters report unspectacular recovery distances using cast bullets, probably with little expansion, they still put them down. A new project for me is to try some .452 cast bullets with lube etc. but with velocity drops it a pain to change scope settings (will have more drop say 4 inches?) Credit to the casters and their love of using tried and true casts at modest velocities...probably their go to loads.
jmbod

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b