CAST BULLETS discussions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: CAST BULLETS discussions

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Sounds like its time to get the JB Weld out and build up the rear of the magazine. Doesn't have to look "bubba'd" and even if it does, who cares if it works.
Some things you can't buy your way out of and out comes the JB Weld. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Tripplebeards » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Hoot, you made me dig that mag out if the garbage and JB weld it.lol...it feeds cast now! My factory mags had burrs all over the feed ramp area and also Ruger has molded them in different shapes!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ost4747336
Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 pm

I've seen some varying degrees of success with cast bullets on the forum (and had some myself) but I stumbled over a mold today that looks like it would be perfect for a 450. I'm curious if anyone reading this has tried this mold before, I'm tempted to get myself an early Christmas present 8-)

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-45- ... vity-mold/
Rklenke

Postby Tripplebeards » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:07 pm

I just pawned off my noe 452 277 RF hollow point mold. Sold it before I figured out how to cobble my magazine to feed cast. I’ll have to reinvent the wheel as I have a Gunsite scout coming that replaced my American that I had nothing but problems with. If it were me I’d want a GC mold. I’d also be trying to find someone who already has the mold And cast you up a few to see if they feeding your gun before you spend money on a boolit that won’t cycle in your gun.
Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 am

That would be nice if someone already had the mold, probably pretty low chance on here. I might have better luck asking on the Facebook groups. As far as the gas check, I'm not too worried. I shoot a Lee 340 grain bullet at about 1850 with no issues, so I can't imagine I'll have too many with this one at 1900. The powder coat holds up fairly well.
Rklenke

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 am

Rklenke wrote:I've seen some varying degrees of success with cast bullets on the forum (and had some myself) but I stumbled over a mold today that looks like it would be perfect for a 450. I'm curious if anyone reading this has tried this mold before, I'm tempted to get myself an early Christmas present 8-)

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-45- ... vity-mold/

about a year ago on Cast Boolits board, there was a group buy on a 450 mould that looked like a dandy. I thought I had saved the link but can't find it.

Maybe Tripple Beards and throw some insight on it.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:28 am

You taking about This Thread ?

Hoot

The power of Google
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Rklenke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:53 am

No I've looked through that thread and decided that was too light and I don't want to gas check. I'm looking for something a little heavier, like the MP mold. Facebook is leading to some options.
Rklenke

Postby Tripplebeards » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm

That looks like the same mold that I had and sold ... I was in on the same group buy. That was the bullet that wouldn’t cycle properly in my American until I modified the feeding ramps with JB Weld. I was smart enough to at least cast up 20 pounds of them before I sold it. I casted them in a 50/50 mix. I’m sure 20 pounds will last me a while as long as they feed in the scout that is.
Tripplebeards

Postby Rklenke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Was there two group buys? The one I passed on was 270 some grains, but through the parallel question I asked on FB, it seems like this bullet was another buy.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-45- ... ti-choice/

This may even be a better option than the first mold I pointed out, slightly heavier and with a slightly wider meplat.
Rklenke

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b