Barnes 275 xpb's?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes 275 xpb's?

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am

Hello all. I've searched a little and have found guys talking of trying or going to try these bullets but I have found no data. I bought a box yesterday and plan on loading some up here shortly but was wondering where a good place to start would be? So how bouts it? Anybody got some info they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks y'all!
B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Re: Barnes 275 xpb's?

Postby Wicked Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:23 am

Hopefully Hoot will chime in. I've got a box also just haven't had time to play with them yet. I'm not sure if i'll go LiL-Gun or win296. Might try both.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:58 am

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am

Right in the middle of testing, I discovered that the bottle of Lil Gun I was working from was yielding significantly different results than the one I started out testing with. Around that time, life got busy and I pulled out of the experiment, intending to return this spring and resume with a new bottle of Lil Gun, which I haven't picked up yet. I also want to do a comparison with the slightly slower, though equally potent W296, to see if there is an advantage to be had there, especially for those of us with the longer barrel. Now I also have some AA1680 on the way which may be a jump too much in the slower direction for bullets less than 300gr. Too bad Hodgdon chose to drop H4227 when they acquired IMR as it is not the same as IMR4227. It would have fallen in between W296 and AA1680 in burn rate and would have been an interesting side bar. I don't use enough Lil Gun to warrant dropping a bundle on an 8lb keg. Perhaps if I had when I first gotten my 450b, but not now. That way, the powder characteristic would not have to be re-calibrated every time I buy another pound. After the last experience, I will not trust it to resume in a load where I left off, without re-calibrating it first. That's unfortunate as these Barnes are not cheap and I hate having to cover old ground. I have plenty left over from last year though and hope to broaden everyone's horizons. I might mention that other members already covered this ground six ways from Sunday, but for whatever reason, choose to summarize their results as opposed to putting the raw data spreadsheets and their resulting group images out for all to see. I know some folks are skittish about putting their raw data out for the members to see out of concern for litigation if some short-cutter gets in trouble. Some folks don't want to give away the milk for free when their clients are paying for the cow.

So, the book is not closed on my 275 XPB experiments. Hang in there...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am

Hoot wrote:. . . That way, the powder characteristic would not have to be re-calibrated every time I buy another pound. . . .
Hoot

Yet another rock is turned over. How does one go about "recalibrating" powder and is it necessary? If I am not going for scientific accuracy or working near the limits of powder charge and bullet weight, is the presumably small variation from lot to lot something that can be ignored? Since my reloading is limited, I buy LG by the pound and am working on my third container now.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am

Go to the Knowledge Base (located at the top of the screen) for some published loads. I used 34.5 to 35.0 grains of Lil'Gun and a Winchester Small Rifle Primer. Accuracy was not up to what most other bullets were, most of which can be attributed to the .4505" to .451" bullet diameter versus the bore which is .452". As for powders/primers, stick with what works, Lil'Gun and Winchester Small Rifle or Remington 7/12, get a decent load and then you venture off into the unknown if you wish.
Siringo

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:42 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
Hoot wrote:. . . That way, the powder characteristic would not have to be re-calibrated every time I buy another pound. . . .
Hoot

Yet another rock is turned over. How does one go about "recalibrating" powder and is it necessary? If I am not going for scientific accuracy or working near the limits of powder charge and bullet weight, is the presumably small variation from lot to lot something that can be ignored? Since my reloading is limited, I buy LG by the pound and am working on my third container now.

I have used a lot of this powder and have never seen any change and my velocities have always been in the same range.

Lets not get off topic here. Start a separate thread on this instead.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Last to be said about this off-topic issue with the powder that emerged while testing Barnes XPB bullets. The problematic bottle was the fourth bottle I had gotten of Lil Gun. The first three yielded almost identical results. The fourth one was as I said, significantly different. In that case, identical loads ran 5-10% slower. Had it been my first bottle, subsequent bottles that were up to speed could have gone badly. From mine and other member results, it was a fluke, but regardless, it awakened me to the need to drop back my reference load and shoot a few before loading any other recipes with a new bottle. The rest of you can do as you please. I am hoping to get back to the behavior of my first three bottles when I get my fifth bottle. The balance that was remaining in my fourth bottle is contributing to the happiness of my Stella d'Oro flowers. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I've been wondering about N120? It's between w296 and 1680. Is it to bulky of a powder for our round? I've never shot any Vihtvouri powders and thought it might be worth a try. Anybody have quikload so they can run the numbers? Looking at the 275gr Xpb im guessing loads will be mag length.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:I've been wondering about N120? It's between w296 and 1680. Is it to bulky of a powder for our round? I've never shot any Vihtvouri powders and thought it might be worth a try. Anybody have quikload so they can run the numbers? Looking at the 275gr Xpb im guessing loads will be mag length.

That's a valid concern with N120. According to QuickLoad, which though it may take some tweaking to get it accurately predicting velocities for a given load, it definitely knows how to calculate volumes. It says that a 100% fill with N120 is too little, other than for a designated light load. You start to get into the sweet zone with N120 at 111% fill. Probably even more given QuickLoad's proclivity for coming in a little conservative.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b