Barnes 275 xpb's?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes 275 xpb's?

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Hoot wrote:
Wicked Hunter wrote:I've been wondering about N120? It's between w296 and 1680. Is it to bulky of a powder for our round? I've never shot any Vihtvouri powders and thought it might be worth a try. Anybody have quikload so they can run the numbers? Looking at the 275gr Xpb im guessing loads will be mag length.

That's a valid concern with N120. According to QuickLoad, which though it may take some tweaking to get it accurately predicting velocities for a given load, it definitely knows how to calculate volumes. It says that a 100% fill with N120 is too little, other than for a designated light load. You start to get into the sweet zone with N120 at 111% fill. Probably even more given QuickLoad's proclivity for coming in a little conservative.

Hoot

AND... My thought is, thou I love the Vihtyouri powders, I use them on rare occasions. I find if I can't go to the local 7-11 and buy components, I make do with what is actually, readily available. Some of those Vihtyouri powders are very difficult to find, even using the web.

275gr-300gr is where the line breaks, depending on your reloading practices, 296 may be a bit fast and 1680 a bit slow. 300gr bullets and up, 1680 rules.

For my money, 1680 produces loads that are only slightly slower in speeds, than 296, but a have far lower pressures, when using the 275xpb's.

The XPB's are so accurate and retains it's Taylor Numbers (TKO), so well, that I predict, they will be the bullet that kills Elk, Moose, the Big Bears, yea even deer, this fall, in excess of 400yds.. I heard, and don't quote me, as heard it from Commander Faschisto, that the Texas Sheep Dawg, has been maintaining a bait pile at 2 miles, and plans to kill a Coyote at that range,with his beloved 450 Bushmaster, go figure.

I'll have to check my notes, but I'll post a starting load for those 275's, tomorrow I hope. In the mean time, you might like to look at the 200gr XPB's, they two are quite pointed and are truly a great Long-Range bullet. I've even gotten them to 3000fps! They'll bounce a deer all over the field..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Amen to availability and cost to boot. I'm fortunate that the local reloading shop has a good selection of VV powders. that having been said, while the N110 I tried delivered some of the best SDs for this odd caliber with 200 and 225 FTX bullets without being too fast burning, it was no better performance-wise than Lil Gun. We have plenty of mainstream powders to work with in the 450b. No need to go after more obscure powders. Norma 200 shows great promise with the 300gr DeepCurls being discussed elsewhere, but then again so does several more ubiquitous brands.

Never gets boring looking for the occasional truffle hidden in the clutter though. That's how the state of the art gets forwarded.

The 275 XPBs were more accurate across a wider range of powder charge than the 200 XPB. That can no doubt be chalked up as easily to the stability that comes from greater weight as much as any other factor. In High School, I threw the shot put. It was much harder for me to throw it off course than if I were throwing the similarly sized, but lighter softball using the same delivery.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Trying to find a safe accurate starting load, I've only got 20 of these mamajammers to play with for now. Hopefully get a chance to throw some together, if I can get then to shoot they will probably accompany me to elk camp this year!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Siringo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:13 am

You can also look at the Knowledge base and find the original Hornady workup data. It has 240 grain, 250 grain and 300 grain loads. Extrapolate between the 250 and 300.
Siringo

Postby kottke_35 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Loaded some 275 xpb's today over three charges of lilgun with rem 7 1/2 primers. More details after range trip. Assuming I don't blow myself up.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Fri May 04, 2012 11:04 am

kottke_35 wrote:Loaded some 275 xpb's today over three charges of lilgun with rem 7 1/2 primers. More details after range trip. Assuming I don't blow myself up.

B.
Good Luck, I'll/we'll be interested in your results. I myself think Lil-Gun is to fast for those 275's, but your results should just be spectacular. 296, 1680 (in other words, there are many-many powders to choose from in the burn category) is the area of powders you need to be in, if speed and lower pressures, are of interest..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks Tim. I'll keep those powders in mind for future loads. Lil gun is what I had on hand ay the time so I'll run with that for a bit.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby kottke_35 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Shot the 275's today. Got some mixed feelings. I think the load is more accurate than I was able to shoot it. I turned out getting about an inch and a quarter, maybe half, group with one load and a two inch group with another.

I do not have a chronograph at this point so no velocity numbers. Sorry.

B.

-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b