load data

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: load data

Postby Hoot » Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 am

1fullmag wrote:makes sense then. besides im south of you here in Mo. but now that I think about it I will be headed up your way this fall gonna try to get a bear with the new 450b if things work out.

You folks have had a rough relationship with severe weather the past couple of years. Makes what we get up here look like milk toast. It did eventually pass through and we were treated to a spectacular evening.

I've seen a few black bears up where I hunt deer, but never felt compelled to go through the work of maintaining bait piles or paying a king's ransom to go on a guided hunt. Just north of us in Ontario, I once saw a fishing camp robbing black bear that would've rivaled a smart car in size. The image of him standing there on the spit of land as we sped between two spits in an at that moment, too slow a boat, will remain with me all my life.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 1fullmag » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 am

No disrespect hoot but I think I will keep my Mo. Weather it may get a little breezy here in the spring every now and then but I don't think I could function up there in the winter, -30 should be illegal.
Where I go up there to hunt is northwest of Roseau a little bit, we stay with a guy who works for Polaris one of the nicest persons I have ever met, a little crazy but you would have to be to stay there in the winter I think. We have had a lot of luck up there hunting bears. None of the locals really care bout bear hunting, the deer hunting is their big thing.
1fullmag

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 am

1fullmag wrote:Ya know, I had been thinking about that tight neck thing before I read about here when you guys were talking about it, for a diffrent situation though I had bought a bunch of the z-max bullets to load for a new 5.56 upper that I had bought thinking they were just v-max's with a green tip then I got worried about them not staying put while feeding thru the auto loading action of the ar so I called and was talking with one of hornady's tecs and he said it would prob be ok so I said if they wont I guess I could just buzz down the expander a little to give me a little more neck tention couldn't I ? and he said that would be a good idea. then I got home and opend the box and found they had a crimp ring so it wasnt a issue. also was thinking about it when having problems bullets pulling in my .454 casull.
Wont most of the die companys make a sizer die to custom specs for a small fee?
just looked at those 200gr ftx again and they are just missing the rear ring they still have the front I will post a pic if I can figure out how.

Polishing down the expander, on bottle necked cartridges is a well known alternative, to standard crimping or more often used when std crimping is not desired. Usually 1-3 thou is well more than enough. But, crimping into a cannelure, holds the bullet much more securely..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 1fullmag » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 am

I try not to crimp anything or at least limit it to only as much really needed I think in most cases it is a little dettramental to accuracy, then I bought a .454, I don't think you can crimp it enough.
Last edited by 1fullmag on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1fullmag

Postby longnkrnch » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm

With the 225s you say to almost bury the cannalure. I suppose you mean to crimp it right into the top edge? Some of us are a little denser than others. Or at least I am.
longnkrnch

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 pm

longnkrnch wrote:With the 225s you say to almost bury the cannalure. I suppose you mean to crimp it right into the top edge? Some of us are a little denser than others. Or at least I am.

Don't make me dig around to find the myriad of images and diagrams I've put up here, but suffice it to say, seat the 225gr until you can barely see any of the cannelure still peeking above the mouth. IE almost buried. That way the taper crimp, which is for the most part applied near that mouth, drives the mouth area into the serrations which are recessed as well.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b