Range Report .452" Speer 250 Grain Deep Curls

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Range Report .452" Speer 250 Grain Deep Curls

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:31 am

I like these bullets but they just didn’t fly well during my first run. I would say, the 40.0 grain load did the best. That’s where I’m focusing my attention powder wise. Now I’ve got to figure out what this load will do in my RAR and my single shot NE 20” with the 1:16 twist.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DubbleTrubble » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:21 pm

About to try some of these for a 20" Bushmaster AR upper. Maybe I missed it but in your report on velocities and such, I didn't see a barrel length listed nor the type of firearm. Many thanks!
Jim Allen

Former U.S. Army Mariner
DubbleTrubble

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 pm

DubbleTrubble wrote:About to try some of these for a 20" Bushmaster AR upper. Maybe I missed it but in your report on velocities and such, I didn't see a barrel length listed nor the type of firearm. Many thanks!

Welcome. Yes. My AR is a 20” 1:24”twist built by the original Bushmaster factory plant in Windham, Maine back in 2011.
The ARs made by Bushmaster today are not from the same plant as mine so there will be some variations that may give you a different result. Probably undesirable.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DubbleTrubble » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the "undesirable differences." I've had this upper for two years and had to work thru a number of feeding and ejection issues. Mostly solved by a magazine update (the modified Lancer mag) but it still didn't chamber or eject well on anything I had bought... but the Hornady FTX Black. Have some new things to try this time around, including handloads. Overall, I've had buyer's remorse over the Bushmaster upper. Agonized over it vs one of the Ruger bolt actions. I was about to go with the Ruger when Midway had a smokin' deal on the Bushmaster uppers. The utility of "two rifles in one" appealed to me, plus I was (am) on a budget. Weeeeellll... it didn't work out as I had hoped. Now I have to plead, cajole or beat this thing into submission ( : < ) This Bushmaster was intended to replace a slug gun for whitetail hunting here in Ohio, where straight-walled rifle cartridges are now allowed vs only shotguns.
Jim Allen

Former U.S. Army Mariner
DubbleTrubble

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:32 am

Well. My upper is one that was actually made by the original Bushmaster people at the original plant back before Freedom Group and Seribus bought out and closed that factory in Windham Maine. Today, that’s the Windham Weaponry factory and no longer owned by Bushmaster. I don’t even know who builds the “bushmaster” name brand rifles today. But there seemed to be a quality drop when Bushmaster got sold. However. The Windham Weaponry brand is the same quality as Bushmaster used to be.
All that being said, my chamber is a bit different in very subtle ways as you will learn as you read our range reports between Hoot and others and myself back in the old days as compared to some of the results we see today. I have a very tight tolerance chamber. Brass expansion is not as extreme as others. Every rifle is different in small ways. That’s why we say start slow and low. Work up very slowly and watch for pressure signs. As for the magazine issue, I’m seeing that many mags have way to damned much spring. I’ve made You Tube videos discussing magazine issues. I had a unique issue with mine. Go check it out on my You Tube Channel (Texassheepdawg21).
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 am

DubbleTrubble wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the "undesirable differences." I've had this upper for two years and had to work thru a number of feeding and ejection issues. Mostly solved by a magazine update (the modified Lancer mag) but it still didn't chamber or eject well on anything I had bought... but the Hornady FTX Black. Have some new things to try this time around, including handloads. Overall, I've had buyer's remorse over the Bushmaster upper. Agonized over it vs one of the Ruger bolt actions. I was about to go with the Ruger when Midway had a smokin' deal on the Bushmaster uppers. The utility of "two rifles in one" appealed to me, plus I was (am) on a budget. Weeeeellll... it didn't work out as I had hoped. Now I have to plead, cajole or beat this thing into submission ( : < ) This Bushmaster was intended to replace a slug gun for whitetail hunting here in Ohio, where straight-walled rifle cartridges are now allowed vs only shotguns.

Magazines.
https://youtu.be/L29stF3IyOw
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DubbleTrubble » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:23 pm

My original Bushmaster mag doesn't have those dimples. It does seem to have a more spring tension vs the Lancer mag. I'm going to focus on getting everything to work well with the Lancer first and then work on the Bushmaster mag. I missed getting a deer last year because of the problems with this rifle. I'm going to expend some effort to solve this problem.
Jim Allen

Former U.S. Army Mariner
DubbleTrubble

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:54 am

DubbleTrubble wrote:My original Bushmaster mag doesn't have those dimples. It does seem to have a more spring tension vs the Lancer mag. I'm going to focus on getting everything to work well with the Lancer first and then work on the Bushmaster mag. I missed getting a deer last year because of the problems with this rifle. I'm going to expend some effort to solve this problem.

When you watch that video notice how much spring is actually in the magazine. It’s not a whole lot. I could pull the spring out and count how many loops are in it, but I think if you look at the video you can get a pretty good idea. Some of these magazines seem to have just miles of spring in them and it’s not necessary.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Russkim04 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:38 pm

What o.a.l. you guys using on these 250 deep curls?
Russkim04

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Russkim04 wrote:What o.a.l. you guys using on these 250 deep curls?

If I’m not mistaken, I crimped into the cannalure itself, (2.004”). I’m pretty sure I put most of the specifications on my original post. If it’s not there, I’ll try to look it up when I get home tomorrow.
There’s one little caveat about this bullet that I haven’t really talked about because I wasn’t sure if it was just me or if it was the bullet itself. The bullets seem to be a hair fatter than .452”. So I have not loaded anymore until I go through the box and measure each one. Some of them are in fact fatter than .452 inches. I pretty much shelved the project once I discovered this. But recently I ran across some bullet size or dies for .451” and .452”. So I ordered both. When they come in, I am going to run these deep curls through the .452 and then see if they seat better without destroying brass.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b