275 GR TSX Load development weight charge considerations

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 275 GR TSX Load development weight charge considerations

Postby Moore77 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Lots of great information on this topic hear. I have a Ranch Rifle and just ordered the 275 TSX bullets. Im looking at the Hodgdon data on line for the 275 with Lil Gun and it states 30.4 - 35.4 with a COAL of 2.225. I've heard the same thing that most of the data is based on the AR platform and not a bolt gun. The folks that are running the 275 around my area are using a COAL of 2.26 and a max load of 35.4 ( this is for a 22" barrel ). With the 16" barrel I know I'm going to loose velocity . I'm thinking of starting at 33 gr with a COAL of 2.26 and going up from there looking for pressure issues. Do you think it might be possible to 37 - 38 grain safely ?
Moore77

Postby GaCop » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:20 am

Moore77 wrote:Lots of great information on this topic hear. I have a Ranch Rifle and just ordered the 275 TSX bullets. I'm looking at the Hodgdon data on line for the 275 with Lil Gun and it states 30.4 - 35.4 with a COAL of 2.225. I've heard the same thing that most of the data is based on the AR platform and not a bolt gun. The folks that are running the 275 around my area are using a COAL of 2.26 and a max load of 35.4 ( this is for a 22" barrel ). With the 16" barrel I know I'm going to loose velocity . I'm thinking of starting at 33 gr with a COAL of 2.26 and going up from there looking for pressure issues. Do you think it might be possible to 37 - 38 grain safely ?

Try your idea of starting at 33 grains and work up slowly watching for pressure signs. You should be able to reach 36 grains safely in your bolt action. You may loose 100 to 150 fps with the shorter 16" barrel but will still have adequate velocity/energy.
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Postby TommiT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 am

Had an interesting experience with 40 gr of H110 and the barnes 275 tsx in my 460 S&W ruger number 1. choreographed at 2245 fps, primers looked normal, and the fired cases will fall out of the chamber with gravity alone if the muzzle is vertical. However I had a sudden change in the point of impact. At first I thought it was the scope, but upon removing the scope discovered that the two rear screws holding the scope base to the barrel had sheared and the rear of the base had bent up a slight amount. Had one screw head still on the base under the rear ring, and when I held it up, I could see through it. The screw has a tapered head and a deep hole for an allen wrench, and there is almost no metal between the the base of the hole and the threads. Had my smith look at it and he said everything on the the gun was fine and the brass showed no signs of overloads. He now has the gun and will remove the broken screws and replace them with solid screws. The base may be salvageable, or will be replaced. I was using a lead sled (without any weights) when this happened; so that may have been a factor. Debating whether I should reduce the charge to 39 grains or stay with 40. any thoughts?
TommiT

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 am

I'd stay with the upper end load. Read something happened just recently with a #1 but forget what caliber.
Al in Mi

Postby Moore77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm

To All that helped me ,
Just a update on my 275 Barnes hand loads. I had a good test today with my Savage Haymaker. I loaded rounds with Lil Gun starting at 35.1 through 36 going up 3 tenths every 4 rounds. 35.1 through 35.7 were lights out(1") but 36 was a little disappointing. I just picked the gun up last week so I put 10 factory rounds through it to foul it up a little. I only had a 90 yard range today with a couple sand bags. By the time I got to 36 grains I was not steady at all .I would like to try that load again with a good rest. So for a recap : Lil Gun starting at 35.1 through 36 with the Barnes 275 TSX , CCI 400 primers , once fired Hornady Brass and a OAL of 2.26. Thanks to all. I hope the picture dow n loaded.
Moore77

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b