450 Bushmaster 285 Grain - is more better or less more

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 450 Bushmaster 285 Grain - is more better or less more

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm

PyroRobby wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, nearly $3.00 a round gets pricey fast. Just bought a box of 20 and (2) x 5 - pack samples. Doesn't take many purchases like this to pay for loading equipment. I think I will be getting that .308 though (Savage MSR10), cheaper to operate and better range of utility. $.68 a round vs $2.75 a round and I am not really sure how well the .452 will punch through brush, then through a charging predator. Maybe once I start reloading the utility and cost of operation of the 450B will make it all workout just fine. The reason I decided to not use my shotgun as much is the cost of copper sabot slugs. Bites going to the range to maintain proficiency, fire 30 slugs and blow $100. Of course I don't mind firing one round and bring home 100 pounds of meat, so we shall see. Reloading does sound like a good hobby, just a little apprehensive because it is dangerous and I have zero experience with it. Although I was an A+ student in college in chemistry, across the 4 semesters I took those classes, so having a cook book and patience will probably work out just fine. Looking at this receipt and knowing I paid ~$200 for 150 rounds of that Hornady Black 250 grain, 30 rounds at ~$90 seems ... well kinda ouch like. Hunting ammo is expensive though and I want to figure out the reality of the 450B for hunting hogs, and practicality of using it in a self defense roll against large predators.

Item Name Description Qty Taxable Unit Price Item Total

Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-275-BARNES XPB-SAMPLE P 1 N $13.74 (USD) $13.74 (USD)
Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-250-P-GPM-HVHP-SAMPLE - 1 N $10.96 (USD) $10.96 (USD)
Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-275-MAKER-HEX-1x20 -D-1 1 N $49.99 (USD) $49.99 (USD)
Shipping: $12.84 (USD)
Total: $87.53 (USD)

So you are going to try the 275 Maker ammo? If you are, would it be possible for you to water jug test it? I want to test those out, but won't be able to anytime soon. Those bullets look pretty mean!
Bmt85

Postby PyroRobby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Bmt85 wrote:
PyroRobby wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, nearly $3.00 a round gets pricey fast. Just bought a box of 20 and (2) x 5 - pack samples. Doesn't take many purchases like this to pay for loading equipment. I think I will be getting that .308 though (Savage MSR10), cheaper to operate and better range of utility. $.68 a round vs $2.75 a round and I am not really sure how well the .452 will punch through brush, then through a charging predator. Maybe once I start reloading the utility and cost of operation of the 450B will make it all workout just fine. The reason I decided to not use my shotgun as much is the cost of copper sabot slugs. Bites going to the range to maintain proficiency, fire 30 slugs and blow $100. Of course I don't mind firing one round and bring home 100 pounds of meat, so we shall see. Reloading does sound like a good hobby, just a little apprehensive because it is dangerous and I have zero experience with it. Although I was an A+ student in college in chemistry, across the 4 semesters I took those classes, so having a cook book and patience will probably work out just fine. Looking at this receipt and knowing I paid ~$200 for 150 rounds of that Hornady Black 250 grain, 30 rounds at ~$90 seems ... well kinda ouch like. Hunting ammo is expensive though and I want to figure out the reality of the 450B for hunting hogs, and practicality of using it in a self defense roll against large predators.

Item Name Description Qty Taxable Unit Price Item Total

Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-275-BARNES XPB-SAMPLE P 1 N $13.74 (USD) $13.74 (USD)
Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-250-P-GPM-HVHP-SAMPLE - 1 N $10.96 (USD) $10.96 (USD)
Black Butterfly Ammunition, Pre BBA-450-275-MAKER-HEX-1x20 -D-1 1 N $49.99 (USD) $49.99 (USD)

So you are going to try the 275 Maker ammo? If you are, would it be possible for you to water jug test it? I want to test those out, but won't be able to anytime soon. Those bullets look pretty mean!

I am curious too, will see what I can do ... for science, lol.
There isn't a local shooting range that would facilitate the test; but I can look into doing it on some private property where I might setup the test. Still waiting on the ammo order to be filled.
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Postby PyroRobby » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

Sorry to take so long getting back here with results; but it's been on my mind and I should be hunting hogs again the weekend of the 21/22 this month.

From the recent purchase:

only the 200 grain ammo came anywhere close to grouping when shot from my AR15, and it was still inconsistent in grouping. I can post a photo of the targets and explain; but it might be confusing as the shots are so spread out and I think the ammo just wasn't loaded well from the manufacturer. I will likely make a video in the near future after hog hunting again in a couple weeks.

The box of 20 I bought was the worst, barely made it on the paper and hits were about a foot apart at 100 yards, just all over the place. Of course it was windy and raining; but the 250 grain Hornady still group nearly a one hole group and spreading to the left, which was following the direction of the changing wind. So, in short I think it wasn't a good test and bad loads.

Didn't get to water jug test. When I realized how wildly inaccurate the ammo was, I wouldn't likely have been able to hit the jugs at 25 yards and I shot all the 5 round samples just trying to determine what was going wrong. Again, my opinion is the ammo was just not done right. That being the case, I bought a box of 20 245 gr Xtreme Penetrator rounds (Underwood) from Brownells. I will put 5 on a target at 100 yards to confirm my zero, then go and drop a hog in 2 weeks and let you know how that worked. Oh, and this time aim for the heart and not the liver.

On another note, due to the likelihood of AR style rifles going up in price, I went ahead and bought my Savage MSR10 Hunter ( Savage Arms MSR10 Hunter in .308 Winchester - https://ibb.co/NjQ9MgB )
My plan is to drop 2 hogs, one with the 450B and one with the .308. Likely distance will be ~45 yards.

So far 1 box of 450B 245gr Extreme penetrator ( 2260fps) cost me $60.00, where 2 boxes of Barnes Vor-tx 168gr .308 GR TTSX BT cost $40.00. Seems to make more sense to be running the .308 for a couple reasons. As for reloading my 450, I have pushed back reloading until next year when I intend to buy all the equipment with tax returns and get some edu-ma-cation on that to do it right.

The remaining 275 grain 450B I didn't shoot because it was just so inaccurate, I will open those remaining rounds up when I have my reloading equipment and see if the powder is right and consistently the same measure, suspecting it was under loaded and sloppily measured. Anyway, hopefully in a couple week I will be enjoying BBQ pork.
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b