The 450B in the new Sierra manual edition #6

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

The 450B in the new Sierra manual edition #6

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am

Part 1 of 3 parts

A copy of the new Sierra manual, Rifle and Handgun Reloading Data, Sixth Edition, Ⓒ 2019, arrived here last week. It includes four pages of reloading data for the 450 Bushmaster. With this publication, Sierra is now part of the too-short list of reliable and reputable firms that have produced 450B reloading data based on tests using SAAMI procedures. The others of which I'm aware are Hodgdon, Hornady, Lyman, and Western Powders.

I can find no mention of the new manual on this website, so here are some initial impressions.

This new manual was overdue -- my copy of their fifth edition has a copyright date of 2003. (In this interval, Hornady produced four manuals, #7 through #10.) However, the Sierra #6 is imposing chunk of print with 1368 numbered pages, an increase of more than 200 pages from the previous edition. Like the fifth edition, the new sixth is published as a 3-ring loose-leaf notebook. The rings are D-shaped so that pages lie flat when the book is opened to any page. Pages measure about 5-1/4 by 8-1/4 inches. There are 10 chapters in the book, separated with tabbed dividers.

Chapter 5, "Rifle Reloading Data", with 760 pages represents better than half the entire manual. Loading data are included for more than 100 different cartridges. I compared data for several cartridges represented in both the fifth and sixth editions. As far as I could determine, the loads shown in this chapter are all new, which indicates this chapter is based on a humongous number of lab determinations of velocity and pressure.

Chapter 8, "Rifle Legacy Reloading Data", consists of 96 pages of additional rifle loading data. It covers 24 rifle cartridges that currently are not very fashionable, with their reloading data being reprinted from the fifth edition. Having it available in the sixth edition will be handy, particularly if you don't have a copy of the fifth edition.

The 4-page section on the 450B cartridge includes a full page of introductory information about cartridge characteristics. It also indicates that Sierra's tests of velocity and pressure for the cartridge were carried out with a universal receiver using a 24-inch barrel with a twist rate of 1-turn in 20 inches. Starline cases were used in the tests, primed with WSR primers. Since the Sierra lab adhered to SAAMI protocols, none of the listed loads should exceed the published SAAMI upper limits.

The introduction also includes a clearly explained and proper warning about the dangers of using a heavy roll crimp on the bullets.

The reloading data are presented in the usual Sierra and Hornady format. Most readers are probably familiar with the format, but just in case, here's a sample from another cartridge:

As with previous editions an "Accuracy Load" and a "Hunting Load" are listed for each bullet in the 450B section, derived from their test data.

Chapter 4, "Reloading", is a fine introduction to reloading tools, techniques, and processes. It's also good reading for reloaders with some experience. Sierra gurus have a stake in furnishing proper instruction--they really want you to avoid errors so that you avoid potentially fatal mishaps and continue to buy lots of Sierra bullets.

(continued in next post
pitted bore

Re: The 450B in the new Sierra manual edition #6

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

Part 2 of 3 parts

Briefly reviewing the 450B section of the new Sierra manual, some points stood out from treatments of the 450B found in other manuals.

Noteworthy features

1) Sierra supplies data for a 185-grain bullet. To date, this is the lightest bullet included in a reliable manual (defined as one in which pressure and velocities are determined from SAAMI-compliant firing tests). The light-bullet information is a particularly welcome addition to 450B reloading, because for a decade this forum has been queried frequently about loads for bullets lighter than those in reliable reloading tables. (The particular Sierra bullet listed in the manual is of an unusual design; see next post.)

2) Sierra shows data for their 300-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2000 fps with N120. I think this is the highest velocity published for 300-grain bullets within SAAMI pressure limits. (Hodgdon comes close at 1973 fps with H4198 and 300-grain Swift A-Frame.)

3) Sierra shows data for fourteen different powders. This provides the reloader with a much broader selection of usable powders than other sources. (Hornady is in a distant second place with eight powders.)

For each of the five Sierra bullets tested, here are the powders for which loading data are reported--
  • 185 grain: N110, N105, H110, IMR-4227
  • 200 grain: N110, N105, IMR-4227, A5744
  • 230 grain: 2400, N110, N105, IMR-4227, A5744, N120
  • 240 grain: SBR-SOCOM, 2400, N110, N105, IMR-4227, A5744, A1680,
    CFE-BLK, IMR-4198, H4198, N120, Exterminator
  • 300 grain: SBR-SOCOM, N110, N105, IMR-4227, A5744, IMR-4198, H4198, N120

4) The above list of powders does not include Hodgdon's Lil'Gun. This seemed odd, particularly when the manuals published by Hornady, Lyman, and Hodgdon, all based on SAAMI testing protocols, reported the powder as very useful with the 450B.

I phoned a Sierra toll-free tech support guy to inquire why it was absent. He said that Sierra simply had not tested Lil'Gun, and added that the lab technicians at Sierra did not suspect that it might cause any problems when used with the 450B; they had reported good results with Lil'Gun in the 454 Casull. (The simple explanation may be that when the lab period scheduled for 450B tests rolled around, it coincided with a period in the recent powder drought when Lil'Gun was not available anywhere. Remember the bare powder shelves in 2014?)

(continued in next post)
pitted bore

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

Part 3 of 3 parts

Notes on the tested Sierra bullets
Sierra's 450B loads in the new manual were developed using five of their bullets:
  • 185-grain TournamentMaster Full Profile Jacket #8810
  • 200-grain TournamentMaster Full Profile Jacket #8825
  • 230-grain TournamentMaster Full Metal Jacket #8820
  • 240-grain SportsMaster Jacketed Hollow Cavity #8815
  • 300-grain SportsMaster Jacketed Soft Point #8830
All bullets are nominally 0.4515" diameter.

1) The 185-, 200-, and 230-grain bullets are in Sierra's TournamentMaster series, which are stated to be designed for accuracy and are non-expanding at typical handgun velocities. The two lighter bullets are of a design Sierra has called a "full profile jacket". A thick metal jacket covers the profile of the bullet., leaving a central area of exposed lead in the flat meplat. The 45 caliber FPJ bullets do not have a cannelure. Here's a photo of FPJ bullets in .44 caliber, which happen to have a cannelure:
The FPJ bullets were developed for handgun metallic silhouette shooting, and were intended to maximize momentum transfer from the bullet to heavy metal plates. There are differing opinions on internet firearms forums about whether the bullets are suitable for hunting. Apparently they can expand when velocities exceed normal handgun velocities. Here's what a 44 caliber bullet looks like when recovered from water jugs after impacting at rifle velocities.
(I've ordered a box each of the 185- and 200-grain Sierra and will put them in the queue of 450B bullets to test. I've fired other 200-grain bullets at 3000+ fps MV from a long-barreled bolt rifle as documented here several years ago, and it will be interesting to find how these perform.)

NOTE:Sierra has discontinued manufacturing the 185-grain bullet #8810. (Some can still be found if you search Sierra dealers online.) Presumably the #8800 JHP SportsMaster can use the same data. Call Sierra's tech people to check.

2) The Sierra 230-grain FMJ RN bullet is a premier target bullet for bullseye pistol match and other shooting that requires best accuracy. The bullet costs about 2X more than the average FMJ RN 45 bullet produced by other makers. Sierra found that with N120 powder, the 450B can produce 2400 fps MV. The Western Powders manual is the only other handbook to include data for 230-grain bullets (coincidentally the Sierra 230-grain FMJ), obtaining 2430 fps with A1680 powder.

3) The 240-grain bullet used in Sierra's tests is their Jacketed Hollow Cavity design, with an exposed lead nose with a small hole opening into a larger cavity, ensuring expansion. Sierra shows muzzle velocities of up to 2300 fps for this bullet.

Shooters considering this bullet for hunting should note that Sierra also lists reloading data for the bullet with pistol cartridges like the .45 ACP at velocities as low as 600 fps. Their warning note about reloading the 454 Casull with this bullet is even more pertinent to the 450B: "... the 240 grain JHC was intended for the velocities and pressures of the milder 45 Colt cartridge. For handloaders wishing to use lighter bullets at higher velocities, we recommend the use of Freedom Arms bullets only, as they are designed to withstand the Casull's velocity."

For hunting watermelons to observe real SPLATs with a 450B rifle, these bullets might be great, especially when used at extended distances to take advantage of Sierra's renowned accuracy.

4) The 300-grain Jacketed Soft Point bullet is probably the best hunting bullet offered by Sierra for thei 450B. This is indicated in the 450B introductory notes: "Sierra's heavy weight 300-grain should be the ideal 'Thumper' from this cartridge and is built tough enough to work well on a wide variety of game animals."

A post above describes Sierra's maximum velocity results with this bullet and for hunting purposes their recommendation appears to be exactly correct.

Please post your comments and corrections to the above.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Ronv69 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Dang, Man!
That's far and away the absolute best review of a loading manual that I have ever seen. You answered every question I thought of before I thought I thought of it. I am destined to aquire this manual.
Kudos!
Patron Member of the NRA since 1976.
Ronv69

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:11 am

Ronv69 wrote:Dang, Man!
That's far and away the absolute best review of a loading manual that I have ever seen. You answered every question I thought of before I thought I thought of it. I am destined to acquire this manual.
Kudos!

Ronv69-
I really appreciate the kind words.

The "Product Overview" that is part of Midway's online listing of the manual is an excellent description of the logic behind Sierra's lab procedures for obtaining velocities and pressures. I could not find an equivalent blurb in the manual itself, so I printed it from the Midway page and stashed the copy in the manual. I think the Sierra engineers are to be commended to adhering to SAAMI and CIP standards.

There are numerous consumer reviews of the new manual now available on the websites of various vendors, including Midway. (I purchased mine from Grafs, and note that they are currently sold out.) Many of the reviews are critical of Sierra for following standards, e.g. the standard 24" barrel length makes the data useless for cartridges that are usually chambered in barrels shorter or longer than 24". Such criticism is silly.

Thank you.
--Bob
Edited to repair spelling errors
pitted bore

Return to Reloading for the 450b