Hornady InterLock .452" 245gr released for reloading

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Hornady InterLock .452" 245gr released for reloading

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:I ordered a box from Midway nd got them loaded. I'm using the data from the Hornady loading book and starting with 35 grains working up to 38 by 1/2 grain increments. I know I could go higher than 38 because these are lighter bullets but I'm a conservative, cautious guy when it comes to handloading so I'll see how these shoot and look for the usual pressure signs. I'll get to the range next week and report on how they shoot and if there are any problems. Factory length and taper crimp.

Question, At what length does that bullet hit the lands for you?
Looks like a blunter bullet than the 250gr FTX, so probably not as long OAL, but how much?
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Bmt85 wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:I ordered a box from Midway nd got them loaded. I'm using the data from the Hornady loading book and starting with 35 grains working up to 38 by 1/2 grain increments. I know I could go higher than 38 because these are lighter bullets but I'm a conservative, cautious guy when it comes to handloading so I'll see how these shoot and look for the usual pressure signs. I'll get to the range next week and report on how they shoot and if there are any problems. Factory length and taper crimp.

Looks like a blunter bullet than the 250gr FTX, so probably not as long OAL, but how much?

The only bullet I have ever loaded for this caliber, that hit the lands before exceeding max magazine length was the 300gr Hornady, XTP Mag. It hit at ~2.23 COL. Obviously, with bolt actions and their tolerance for longer COL's, there's probably more bullets that hit the lands before exceeding max magazine length. I have a list of all the bullets I have reloaded and at what COL they hit the lands, as a reference. There are bullets I've never loaded but not many. The Hornady interlock is one of them however. I wasted some blems I got once that looked like Hornady 250 FTX'x but with a different color tip. Wrongly assumed they were just some company picking a color different than Hornady's. After burning through most of them, I read that they were bonded core bullets. Not interlocked but actually bonded. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bmt85 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Yeah, I have some resized Hornady 350gr Interlock flat points that hit the lands around 2.2" or so. Others here were able to load out a bit longer, and I think that's because the were using the round nose 350gr Interlocks. From what I could find, they are the same except nose profile, but that affected OAL.
Bmt85

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Bmt85 wrote:

I've never loaded any bullet in the 450 far out enough to contact the rifling so I have no idea. I haven't measured the difference in length, I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm

By the way Hoot and Dawg, shooting from an AR how much Lil' Gun do you think I can use with this bullet? (Working up slowly 1/2 grain at a time).
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:27 am

Jeepejeep wrote:By the way Hoot and Dawg, shooting from an AR how much Lil' Gun do you think I can use with this bullet? (Working up slowly 1/2 grain at a time).

With the Lil Gun I have, I would think 38gr would be the max for an AR platform. I'd say start at 36.5gr and work up in half grain increments. Too bad it doesn't have a cannelure. I'm no fan of smooth sided bullets in this caliber. BTW, welcome back. You were missed.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Hoot wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:By the way Hoot and Dawg, shooting from an AR how much Lil' Gun do you think I can use with this bullet? (Working up slowly 1/2 grain at a time).

With the Lil Gun I have, I would think 38gr would be the max for an AR platform. I'd say start at 36.5gr and work up in half grain increments. Too bad it doesn't have a cannelure. I'm no fan of smooth sided bullets in this caliber. BTW, welcome back. You were missed.

Hoot

Thank you for the info and the welcome back. Been a bit hectic in life lately lol. All is good though. Well mostly.
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:
Bmt85 wrote:

I've never loaded any bullet in the 450 far out enough to contact the rifling so I have no idea. I haven't measured the difference in length, I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you.

I measured both bullets with my caliper. I get .948 for the FTX and .856 for the Interlock.
Jeepejeep

Postby blitzwing » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Has anyone tried the Brenton LONG-LOAD premium magazine. I managed my best 75 yard 15 shot group with this bullet.3/4 inch. I used 37 grains of lil gun.
blitzwing

Location: Pike County, Pennsylvania (subject to change without notice.)

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 am

blitzwing wrote:Has anyone tried the Brenton LONG-LOAD premium magazine. I managed my best 75 yard 15 shot group with this bullet.3/4 inch. I used 37 grains of lil gun.

First I heard of it, whats the details on it?

nice shooting, 3/4" is is just a ragged hole after 15 shots. 8-)
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b