Hornady InterLock .452" 245gr released for reloading

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Hornady InterLock .452" 245gr released for reloading

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am

Hoot wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:By the way Hoot and Dawg, shooting from an AR how much Lil' Gun do you think I can use with this bullet? (Working up slowly 1/2 grain at a time).

With the Lil Gun I have, I would think 38gr would be the max for an AR platform. I'd say start at 36.5gr and work up in half grain increments. Too bad it doesn't have a cannelure. I'm no fan of smooth sided bullets in this caliber. BTW, welcome back. You were missed.

Hoot

i questioned hornady about the cannelure/no cannelure thing a couple years ago. i had noticed that a box of 110gr vmax 300 black i bought had cannelures and i was making sure they weren't mis-loaded with the 125 sst, or another cannelured bullet - because i had never seen a 110 vmax as a reloading component with a cannelure on them.

i was informed that when they sell loaded ammo, anything that *might* get used in an autoloader will have a cannelure on it to lower the chances of a setback during cycling. however when they sell the same bullet as a reloading component most of the time they leave the cannelure off - because many reloaders will not buy bullets with a cannelure as they feel it takes away from the accuracy. they explained that they could put the same bullet with and without a cannelure on the shelf next to each other... and the non cannelure bullet would always outsell the cannelure version. dramatically. they blamed it on old urban legend stuff stuck in the hobby, and that its baseless with current bullet technology. :roll: :roll:

so they're producing the same bullet with two different designs (with/without cannelure) because we the reloading community - as a whole anyway - tend to reject cannelures for the most part.

and thats also why when blems come up for sale, you might find bullets with a cannelure that you never see on the shelf as a reloading component. they're blemmed out bullets that were intended for loaded ammo and never for sale as a component.

HTH
plant_one

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:09 pm

35.JPG
35.JPG (102.86 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
35.JPG
35.JPG (102.86 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
Range report on these bullets. All cases are Hornady, all primers are WSM. I started with 35 grains of Lil Gun and went to 38.5. No signs of pressure, primers all looked fine and case measured just in front of the web measured the same as my 250 FTX loads according to my Caliper. Gotta get a micrometer!
Best was with 38 grains and that's what I'll use in North Carolina this year. Hopefully I get a deer and am able to recover the bullet.
Attachments
35.5.JPG
35.5.JPG (81.77 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
36.JPG
36.JPG (110.66 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
36.5.JPG
36.5.JPG (107.48 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Pictures continued
Attachments
37.JPG
37.JPG (102.82 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
37.5.JPG
37.5.JPG (93.69 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
38.JPG
38.JPG (114.12 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
38.5.JPG
38.5.JPG (102.91 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

250 Gr. FTX load as a control.
Attachments
FTX.JPG
FTX.JPG (108.27 KiB) Viewed 9033 times
Jeepejeep

Postby Hoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 am

Looks like you found a good analog to the 250 FTX. IMHO those are hot but not dangerously so, loads. Should get good expansion.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 am

Hoot wrote:Looks like you found a good analog to the 250 FTX. IMHO those are hot but not dangerously so, loads. Should get good expansion.

Hoot

I'm hoping so. I've used Interlocks for many years in my 30-06 and their performance on deer has been great so I'm expecting the same here. I will hot go higher than the 38.5 on an AR platform but the 38 seemed most accurate. I adjusted the scope on that group so that's why two of them are higher than the rest. If you bring the high ones down to the other three, that's a tight group.
Jeepejeep

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 am

crazy... yet another bullet thats happy right around 38gr of lil gun in this caliber.

its almost creepy.
plant_one

Postby ScottyPotty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm glad these bullets are now available. I bought a box of loaded ammo, and they shot terrible.
ScottyPotty

Postby blitzwing » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Hornady InterLock Bullets .450 Bushmaster (452 Diameter) 245 Grain Spire Point. When using these in the past I got one stuck in the chamber. Does anyone know why? These are super accurate. Super accurate!
blitzwing

Location: Pike County, Pennsylvania (subject to change without notice.)

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:08 pm

blitzwing wrote:Hornady InterLock Bullets .450 Bushmaster (452 Diameter) 245 Grain Spire Point. When using these in the past I got one stuck in the chamber. Does anyone know why? These are super accurate. Super accurate!

Was that in an AR platform or bolt action. Two factors come to mind. The COL was long enough such that the bullet was driven into the rifling upon chambering. That's less a factor with a freshly and thoroughly cleaned barrel, including having the carbon ring that forms where the mouth ends in the chamber and the rifling begins. Carbon ring buildup can be very hard.
The second is one I've experienced a couple of times. The case was not adequately resized because it sprung back after extracting it from the die and it was the case getting stuck in the chamber. My problems were right where the back of thr case met the breech. Most full length resizing dies don't go all the way down to the extraction groove. Since there is no "Small Base" die in 450b, about the only solution is what I wound up doing and that was removing a small (.050) amount of height from the shell holder, so that the resizing die was able to go down a little bit further.
At this point, I would advise marking up the problematic shell(s) with a sharpie, chambering the round(s) as far as you can and see where the sharpie is scraped away.
One last but remote possibility is a bullet a little fatter than spec and it causes the portion of the case it is seated inside, to have a bulge in excess of the chamber spec.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b