Optimal free bore

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Optimal free bore

Postby Saltner » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello to all,
I am a new member and I bought a ruger american go wild camo with a 22 "barrel.
I tested several bullets, 200 FTX, 250 FTX and 300 XPT with W296 powder and federal GM205M primers.
I have experience on many other calibers, I have reached the maximum precision with ammunition in which the bullet is close to the grooves of 1-1.5 mm.
How much do you keep the bullets from the grooves?
I verified that with 300 XPT it shoots well with a seated bullet 1 mm from the grooves, while with the 200-250 XPT I still haven't found the right compromise charge/OAL.

Thanks
Saltner

Re: Optimal free bore

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:45 pm

OMHO, the optimum seating depth will depend upon the particular bullet you use and requires experimentation with the particular rifle barrel you use, to determine. I doubt that there is a "one side fits all" spec. My experience with different bullets over time, was that the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag, was the only bullet I could get into the lands and still fit into my AR platform magazine. From what I've read from bolt action fans, their maximum COL is much greater but you don't want to seat the bullet too shallow in order to get into the lands or you risk it pulling from recoil. While I felt that I never really cracked the code on an accurate 300gr XTP Mag recipe, I can tell you that seating it kissing the lands didn't help.

I will now yield the floor to those who actually use bolt actions. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b