trying to figure out the crimp for an AR

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

trying to figure out the crimp for an AR

Postby Kiss of Death » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:05 pm

Sort of a new reloader here, have loaded for one caliber only (6.8SPCll) and will be reloading now for the 450 BM. I will be shooting these from an AR15. I just got the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 4 die set and plan to shoot Barnes 275 XPB bullets.

I have never crimped in my reloading experience and I am getting a little confused with some of what I am reading on the 450 BM. One of the custom ammo makers states they use a “heavy dual crimp” instead of taper crimp which is described as safer for AR platform. Is this what should be done? My Hornady set has a taper crimp die, would that work? Hornady describes this die as " intended for a deep crimp which may be required with heavy cast bullet loads". Not sure if that makes this die sufficient for my application?

Just trying to get my head wrapped around how to do this crimp (having never done one before) before I go at it, any input is appreciated!
Kiss of Death

Re: trying to figure out the crimp for an AR

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:31 pm

All I have ever used in the Hornady taper crimp and set it to .473-.474 at the case mouth. Never had a issue with it in AR's or bolt guns.

I also picked up a Lee Factory Crimp die to do some experimenting at some point this year.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 am

Ditto on what Al said. I do seat the 200's and 275's so that one of the driving band grooves is directly beneath the taper crimp. Gives it something to bite down into.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Kiss of Death » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks for the replies and feedback; waiting on bullets and brass to arrive from Midway in the next day or two. Looking forward to getting some loaded up.

I'm thinking it would be wise to use a military primer like CCI 41?
Kiss of Death

Return to Reloading for the 450b