Proper Sized Case Dimensions?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Proper Sized Case Dimensions?

Postby 07Kingpin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 pm

Looking for a proper inner neck dimension after sizing.

Virgin Starline cases measure .448 inner diameter.

Fired cases measure .458 and sized cases are .443.

I understand I will be expanding the neck at charging but this seems like a lot of neck tension.

Using a Lee FLS die.

Sorry if this has been covered I'm used to loading bottleneck cartridges.
07Kingpin

Re: Proper Sized Case Dimensions?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Specs are in the Hornady loading manual. I don’t have mine on hand at the moment.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:47 am

Simply put, this caliber craves neck tension like no bottleneck I've ever loaded for. IMHO, forget physical dimensions (within reason). The narrower, the merrier. This particularly important with smooth sided bullets like the 250 FTX. If it didn't headspace off the case mouth, you could crank down on the crimp, but it does. Over the past 10 years, members have struggled to get adequate neck tension, stopping just short of gluing the bullets in.

Take whatever inherent tension that you can get, as long as the bullets start when you go to seat them. That's one of the reasons that Hornady dies reign supreme. Their seating die aligns the bullet so that it starts easily even though it doesn't perch inside the mouth. No need for the expansion die as long as you chamfer the inside of the mouth.

In over 2500 reloads, IIRC, I've crunched one case. Even then, it was during my experiment with the Tight Neck Tension project chronicled within this sub-forum. That's where we tried pre-loading the case tension using a 45 LC sizing die to impart an even narrower section down the case as far as the bullet went inside. Now those were some narrow mouths! We got away with it thanks to the Hornady seating die alignment feature. Forster and a couple other premium die sets use a similar bullet alignment system. IMHO, Lee made a mistake cutting that corner to keep their cost down.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 am

IIRC, a year or so ago didn't Lee have a issue with not sizing down enough to get enough bullet tension ?? Sounds like they fixed it, maybe a hair too much, but you might be able to get away with partial rezizing.

I just measured one of my fresh fired cases from the 16" Bushey, fired ID is .456, resized .448. That was with a Hornady sizer. I'm also blessed with a Hornady expander that doesn't expand the ID at all, just use it to add a touch of flare.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Hoot wrote:Simply put, this caliber craves neck tension like no bottleneck I've ever loaded for. IMHO, forget physical dimensions (within reason). The narrower, the merrier. This particularly important with smooth sided bullets like the 250 FTX. If it didn't headspace off the case mouth, you could crank down on the crimp, but it does. Over the past 10 years, members have struggled to get adequate neck tension, stopping just short of gluing the bullets in.

Take whatever inherent tension that you can get, as long as the bullets start when you go to seat them. That's one of the reasons that Hornady dies reign supreme. Their seating die aligns the bullet so that it starts easily even though it doesn't perch inside the mouth. No need for the expansion die as long as you chamfer the inside of the mouth.

In over 2500 reloads, IIRC, I've crunched one case. Even then, it was during my experiment with the Tight Neck Tension project chronicled within this sub-forum. That's where we tried pre-loading the case tension using a 45 LC sizing die to impart an even narrower section down the case as far as the bullet went inside. Now those were some narrow mouths! We got away with it thanks to the Hornady seating die alignment feature. Forster and a couple other premium die sets use a similar bullet alignment system. IMHO, Lee made a mistake cutting that corner to keep their cost down.

Hoot

I wished this were true of my seating die. I must always use just a hair of expander die on my cases. I’ve dwarped a few cases just trying to seat without first expanding. It Never fails. So I just add a tiny little touch of expander die on all my brass.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 07Kingpin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies and the good info.

I'm going to try a few loads using jacketed bullets before I start experimenting with cast lead- will update with results.
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:16 pm

07Kingpin wrote:Thanks for the replies and the good info.

I'm going to try a few loads using jacketed bullets before I start experimenting with cast lead- will update with results.

Given the wealth of experience available here using jacketed bullets, that's a wise choice. Image There will be plenty of time for experimentation.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b