Small Rifle Primers

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Small Rifle Primers

Postby Pepe Ray » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:25 pm

It seems that some are not satisfied with SRP's and are reforming 284W cases in order to use LRP's . Are there any of you that can explain the perceived need?
Pepe Ray the Nooby needs to know.
Pepe Ray

Re: Small Rifle Primers

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 pm

Welcome Aboard Pepe!

No, I can't see a good reason. 10 years ago, I embarked upon trying just that. The main problem is that once you cut down 284 brass to 1.70, the wall thickness taper profile is greater than actual 450b commercial brass. Depending upon the brand of 284 brass, you may wind up with bulged necks once a bullet is seated, that prevent the cartridge from entering the chamber all the way. I didn't have a problem with rim or extractor grooves, just the wall thickness near the mouth. At that point, the path is either reaming or turning the case down. A real pain in the butt. I had a jar of 1-F 284 brass left after abandoning the project. IIRC, I gave them to another member here for the cost of postage.

Lack of primer availability has come and gone before. Reloading consumers are too easily panicked IMHO. That leads to panic buying or worse yet, speculators buying up all the supply and hoarding them until the price skyrockets. We've seen this before, countless times. A lot of .22 rimfire speculators lost their shirts from scooping up all the available product post Sandy Hook, then charging $60-80.00 a brick on auction sites until the manufacturers were able to ramp up production. Some were lucky to break even if they weren't identified and treated like the pariahs they are. Remember the recent toilet paper rush? There's a special place in hell for speculators, right behind child molesters and disco promoters. If you yourself are in need of magnum small rifle primers that the 450b likes, forage around the mom and pop local gun shops. You'd be surprised what they have "in the back". If you find some, leave some for the next guy.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Small Rifle Primers

Postby plant_one » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:09 am

as hoot said... local gun shops will have SRP and SRPM primers... you'll have to ask and you will be limited on how many you can buy.

you'll also likely have to venture off the farm from your usual offering - rem 7½'s are all but unicorn horns right now, etc.

doesnt mean you cant have a safe load, you wil probably just need to do some basic testing to confirm your new primers like the load and things are still the accuracy you expected.
plant_one

Return to Reloading for the 450b