New LEE crimp dies?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

New LEE crimp dies?

Postby Nagantguy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:53 am

So I traded for a box lot of mostly .450 BM reloading swage and a few other odds and ends. One item is a née never used set of Lee dies-brand new 2020 date on the receipt are the new crimp
Dies different from the old the will this die have to be modified to work or should I just continue to use the Hornady taper crimp die that I’m less than thrilled with?
Nagantguy

Re: New LEE crimp dies?

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:24 am

I've been playing with it a bit, no issues crimping the 300gr XTP Mag bullets just below the cannuler.

I could see heavy crimping into a cannuler possibly affecting headspace.
Al in Mi

Postby Nagantguy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Thank you I was at the bench today and had no trouble with the Lee FCD and Hornady 240 xtp mags, in the middle roughly of the crimp groove put me at my desired OAL.
Side note and another question as 240 xtp mag data seems non existent I’m using data for 250 grain loads , as suggested by the helpful Hodgdon tech support. So anyone have any actual data for the 240 mags?
Nagantguy

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Nagantguy wrote:Thank you I was at the bench today and had no trouble with the Lee FCD and Hornady 240 xtp mags, in the middle roughly of the crimp groove put me at my desired OAL.
Side note and another question as 240 xtp mag data seems non existent I’m using data for 250 grain loads , as suggested by the helpful Hodgdon tech support. So anyone have any actual data for the 240 mags?

This is from 10 years ago but may help.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Nagantguy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 pm

The bank you Hoot, it does help and was actually my starting point as I’d found that post some time ago!
Nagantguy

Return to Reloading for the 450b