FTX vs XTP mag penetration test?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

FTX vs XTP mag penetration test?

Postby 07Kingpin » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Been reading and re-reading lots of great posts, range tests etc and tried a search so sorry if I missed it but have we done a FTX vs XTP mag penetration test?

Say a 240gr XTP mag vs the 250gr FTX at 100 yards?

Some rifles will always shoot one bullet/powder/load combo more accurately than another but should be able to work up similar loads with either bullet to do an apples to apples comparison on penetration through various media.

Has this been done?
07Kingpin

Re: FTX vs XTP mag penetration test?

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:37 pm

For those of us with limited depth to our pockets, the milk jugs filled with water have allowed us to compare one another's results. My own tests with FTX bullet tests showed the amount of penetration one could expect. While water isn't tissue or gelatin blocks, the tough skin of those multiple bottles were no cake walk for a bullet. In the case of the Barnes XPB bullets, I loaded the rounds down to simulate velocities out to 160 yds based upon initial muzzle velocity and their BC, in order to compare expansion at those ranges. The same could be done with the FTX and XTP Mag bullets. The ability to load down the rounds to simulate their predicted velocity would solve needing expert shot placement like that needed at the real distance. I still have a healthy number of those milk jugs stored in my garage and the better half has been bugging me to use them or lose them. I could put them to use and run a couple of iterations of the 250 FTX vs 240 XTP Mag at 100 yds but the starting muzzle velocity would be limited by my AR platform. We all know that you can jack them up appreciably in a bolt action. Can't help you there. I've been looking for a "calling" to go back to the range with my 450b. Tomorrow, I'll get a count of how many bottles I have in the garage and see if there are enough for a run at each bullet.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 07Kingpin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks Hoot! I have brass and dies on their way, picked up some FTXs yesterday so once I get a decent load dialed in maybe I can hunt for some XTPs to compare.
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:39 pm

My memory has let me down (again). Turns out, I have about 8 or 9 milk jugs stashed in the garage. For some reason, I though there was more like double that. It'll take me a while to accumulate enough that I don't worry about the projectiles escaping out the back. I'm figuring 8 for each 100yd simulation of the 250 FTX and 240 XTP Mag. Good news is my wife loves milk and I know when the neighborhood recycling day is. ;)

I may test the XTP Mag with what i have on hand and follow up with the FTX as soon as I can amass enough additional jugs.

More to follow...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 07Kingpin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:00 pm

Awesome can't wait!
07Kingpin

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 am

I have over 20 jugs in my storage pod. But I don’t have the bullets or load data. :(
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 07Kingpin » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:39 am

Still hunting for bullets, if I come across any will definitely let you guys know.
07Kingpin

Postby 07Kingpin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:03 am

Well I just drove from Iowa to Wy, hit most of the big box stores and the mom and pop shops along the way and didn't find any bullets, powder or primers- at all.
07Kingpin

Return to Reloading for the 450b