Need to crimp?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Need to crimp?

Postby lechwe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Ok I suspect the answer is yes but I want to challenge you and ask anyhow. To begin with I do have 35 years of experience handloading but not straight walled rifle.

So I understand the need to crimp rounds being fired in the AR platform. My question is do we really need to crimp rounds we are running in our bolt guns? Just looking to understand the need.

Thanks
lechwe

Re: Need to crimp?

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pm

lechwe wrote:Ok I suspect the answer is yes but I want to challenge you and ask anyhow. To begin with I do have 35 years of experience handloading but not straight walled rifle.

So I understand the need to crimp rounds being fired in the AR platform. My question is do we really need to crimp rounds we are running in our bolt guns? Just looking to understand the need.

Thanks

If you're jamming into the lands, then No. Otherwise Yes. The amount of friction between the bullet and the case tend to be low. Worse if you expand the mouth prior to seating. Some crimp helps hold the bullet back enough to get the charge cooking before it jumps into the lands. This is a problem that mainly besets lighter bullets but its still a factor, albeit smaller, with heavier bullets. If you are shooting a light weight bolt action, there is also a chance that the bullets will move in the unfired rounds in the magazine if recoil is stiff. I don't crimp the bottleneck calibers I shoot unless they are going into a semi-auto.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Need to crimp?

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 am

as Hoot noted, get the burn going. Last thing you want is a hangfire
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b