Bushmaster Hunting Success!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Bushmaster Hunting Success!

Postby DubbleTrubble » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 am

Took two deer, one large doe, one button buck, with my .450 Bushmaster this season so after all the trouble I had with it in 2018 and 2019, I am calling the rifle redeemed... probationally.

Used factory loaded Hornady Black ammo with a Lancer AWM-5 magazine with a Tromix follower. It's a Bushmaster upper with a 20 inch barrel. I think I whined about all my feeding and ejection issue here a couple of times. Seemed to be ammo specific.. basically anything other than Hornady Black, and my reloads. And I had trouble with Hornady too. I tried many things, some which which (the magazine) helped significantly. I'm not sure how to attribute the ultimate success beyond the magazine except my attributing it to the gun breaking in and being run wetter than I normally run an AR. Sloppy wet by my standards (which go back to the U.S. Army).

Was in a blind on my own property shooting across an open field. On shot was 213 yards and the other at 225. I used a 3-9 Bushnell Banner scope. One shot was a perfectly placed lung shot, and it dropped immediately. The other was a little farther back than optimal and that animal did not react, calmly stepping into the woods. I thought that was a clean miss but a couple of minutes later it stepped back out in obvious, wobbly distress and soon dropped. That was the big doe and the bullet went thru in the liver area and went all the way thru and out the opposite side. Looked for the bullet in the buck and found only a shard of jacket. Didn't look too hard because by the time I had the deer in an area where I could fild dress it, it was dark and butt cold.

Anyway, I would not have tried those shots with my slug gun and my hold was just over the top of the deer (gun sighted at 100 yards).
Jim Allen

Former U.S. Army Mariner
DubbleTrubble

Re: Bushmaster Hunting Success!

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 am

congrats!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Neither of those were "chip shots". Good Job! Be glad you're not up here in the freezer. Single digits and gale force winds. We've warmed up to 7 above with double digit below zero wind chills as I type this.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 pm

Congrats! Need pics!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby s4s4u » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:54 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Congrats! Need pics!

What he said ^^^
s4s4u

Postby MOOSE EARS » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 am

Good to hear about kills past 200yds and glad you got it working
MOOSE EARS

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 am

@OP. If you’re having trouble posting pictures, email them to me at my email address in my profile and I can post them for you.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby DubbleTrubble » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Forgot to check the notify button.

I don't typically take dead deer shots. Killing stuff, necessary and beneficial as it can be, is not a celebration for me. But. Since it was my first "two-fer," I might have had it not been nearly dark by the time it was said and done, my hands were bloody and I was well on my way to being whipped. Old guy dragging deer scenario times two. Plus, much of my career has involved taking pictures, so grabbing a camera for my own life events is often the last thing I think of... reminds me of work. If I remember, I'll take a picture of the processed meat after it's all wrapped. Will you believe me then? ( : < )

I'm kinda surprised you guys remarked on the 200+ yard shots. Seems pretty normal to me and shots like that are why I bought the rifle in the first place. I'm no "SGT York" but with a scope, I might be stretching the bragging limits by crowing too much. But I never would have tried those shots with my slug gun.. tell ya that!

Below is the view from where I had the blind and the red arrows show where the deer were, the left being the doe and the right the button buck.

Jim Allen

Former U.S. Army Mariner
DubbleTrubble

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:51 pm

Well done Sir! I love mine for Ohio whitetails. I am just starting to gather gear to reload since the hornady black is so expensive this season. I've taken 4 at yardage ranging from 212 to 268. With the factory black 250grn. It's a real game changer.
Smokinbubba

Postby ScottyPotty » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:44 pm

In Ohio you have to tag the first deer before you can continuing to hunt.....just saying 8-)

But good shooting, congrats on the deer I wasn't able to get any this year.
ScottyPotty

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b