Coal

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Coal

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Not the stuff u burn in the forge... but the length of a round.
Question. Is recommended coal critical for the 450? Reason I ask is the jolly fellow is bringing my dies, 250ftx, and modified case tonight. My procedure is usually to seat the boolet .015” off the lands. I will b reloading for my savage axis build so mag length should not b an issue.

Plan to use what I have. Old win 296 near max and working up from there. Wsr primers and once fired hor cases. 250ftx’s since that’s all I can find in stock right now. I have some 250 and 300 xtp’s but they r not mags so they are out. Mag primers are not to be found right now either and I found a sleeve of wsr’s under my bench.
Any of this seem like it is a bad idea?? Thx Bubba
Smokinbubba

Re: Coal

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:38 pm

It’s going to depend on your magazine capability (length) inside. Of course, A.R. 15‘s do have a limited mag space. But a bolt action magazine may be a whole different ball game. I can shoot just about any length out of my Ruger American rifle. That being said, I always measure my chamber and the bullet and where it hit the lands and then back it off just a tadge like you said.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Those 300 grain XTPs might work pretty good even though they’re not magnums. Several guys I know in this forum have shot them successfully.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Those 300 grain XTPs might work pretty good even though they’re not magnums. Several guys I know in this forum have shot them successfully.

That’s good to hear! I’d like to see what they would do! Although I have taken 5 white tails with factory 250grn. hor blk, I have never had much if any expansion out of them but none have went more than 50yds. Thx sir.

Do you think I will b ok with the wsr primers or will it b like shooting my flintlock :D
Smokinbubba

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:36 pm

WSR primers will get it done. Funny that you mention jam -.015. The 300 XTP-Mags are the only bullet that I can load to within AR mag length and actually hit the lands. Good Luck with them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:04 pm

WSR, and CCI #41 primers are both my go-tos for my 450s.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Hoot wrote:WSR primers will get it done. Funny that you mention jam -.015. The 300 XTP-Mags are the only bullet that I can load to within AR mag length and actually hit the lands. Good Luck with them.

Hoot

Kinda makes sense to me with their long length and stumpy ogive. I will prolly hand load hotties for the bolt gun but really want to replicate the hor blk for the auto. Don’t want to mess with perfection. The blk shoots sub moa from the BCA upper and the Nikon is dead nuts. This is going to be a fun ride. I have not worked up a rifle load in years since my kid started shooting trap and I started coaching it’s all been scattergun on my bench.
Smokinbubba

Return to Reloading for the 450b