Done with load development.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Done with load development.

Postby RBDMTJager » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 pm

Went to the range today to make final selection of my loading, chrono and confirm its average FPS/MV and determine and confirm it's 100 yard zero and if its drop at 200 yards matched the projected drop as stated by the Hornady website's free ballistics program of 6.4"

Load used:
39 Grains Lil'Gun
.452" 245 grain Hornady Interlock
CCI #450 Magnum Small Rifle primer
COAL was 2.290-2.2903
Starline Brass on it's 3rd reloading
Cleaned brass by wet tumbling with SS pins Dawn and Lemon Shine
Champherd and polished case mouth in and out
Sizing and Seating dies used were Hornady Custom Grade
De-primed using Lee Universal de-priming die
FL/RS all brass
Did NOT bell case mouths, and never have.
Used Lee FCD set for minimal crimp.
Todays Five shot average chronographed at 2484 FPS/MV
Range conditions perfect.
Bald Eagle Windage adjustable front rest
Protector Deluxe Bumblebee rear bag

Five shot average from last range session was also 2484 FPS/MV but noticed very few of todays recoded speeds were the same as the ones from the last session.
Again I couldn't get the chronograph to sink with my phone and I didn't want to waist the time during a a day of perfect range conditions to figure it out, so I had to once again manually record all readings by hand so I can't report SD and my SD & ES was again rather disappointing and if this SD & ES was from my 300wsm I would be very concerned but considering this is a 250 yard or less deer cartridge IMO, SD and ES are inconsequential during such short bullet flight times which I believe again IMO was confirmed by my todays 200 yard groups

I have included a picture of my 100 yard group from today but inexcusably I allowed myself to become distracted and ended up forgetting my 200 yard target in the range indoor club house which had one 5 shot group and one three shoot group. Thankfully I did a rough measurement of both while at the range and wrote it down and the 3 shot group measured approximately 2.3" and 5 shot luckily enough was smaller and measured approximately 1.7" both had dropped 6.5" at 200 yards so the Hornady ballistics program prediction of bullet drop was essentially dead on.

I decided to shoot only one 100 yard group as I already have three previous 100 yard 3 shot groups using 39 grains of Lil'Gun and all are sub MOA so when I shot a sub
.5"-MOA group I felt confident I need not shoot any more to confirm this rifle and loads accuracy.

I must say I am satisfied beyond measure with absolutely everything I purchased in relation to the 450 Bushmaster. The CVA Cascade rifle, the Crimson Trace Brushline Pro rifle scope, the Hornady Custom Grade reloading dies, the Hornady Interlock bullets, the Starline brass, absolutely everything has performed superbly and well beyond my highest hoped for expectations.

The CVA Cascade and the 450 Bushamster reloads combined performance is so vastly superior to the performance of my 12 gauge slug rifles and ammunition I doubt they will ever again see use. Not only are my 450 Bushmaster reloads more accurate they are significantly consistently more accurate than my best ever performing 12ga sabot ammunition. What always drove my nuts was one lot# of 12ga sabot ammo would give very good consistent accuracy the next different lot# not so much.

My one and ONLY complaint is the CVA Cascade to the best of my knowledge and deep disappointment doesn't come in a left hand model chambered for 450 Bushmaster or two more would be in my gun safe as my one son is left handed and the other son while right handed is left eye dominant and has shot his whole life left handed. I will try to see if my one son can shoot the Cascade well enough right handed to deer hunt with considering the effective range of the 450 Bushmaster is limited to in MY opinion 250 yards or less.
In my opinion for under $700 you can not buy a better factory bolt rifle chambered in 450 Bushmaster than the CVA cascade.
Attachments
20221004_181907 450BM 100YD CONFIRM TARGET 10 04 22A1.jpg
20221004_181907 450BM 100YD CONFIRM TARGET 10 04 22A1.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
RBDMTJager

Re: Done with load development.

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:42 am

nothing wrong with that!!
Al in Mi

Postby Rollins » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:07 pm

If I could get groups consistently that good I'd b3 done with load development as well.
Unless having to change for some reasons such as supplies running out or having to change bullets for new game like bears or something.

Now you can spend all your time shooting instead.
Rollins

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:20 pm

Nice results. Quit while you're ahead. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b