Black butterfly 160gr raptor screamer.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Black butterfly 160gr raptor screamer.

Postby Thundarr10 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:55 am

I have searched wit no success. Has anyone been able to replicate this round? They shoot great in my rifle so of course I want to try to load some myself. Any of you guys experiences would be appreciated.
Thundarr10

Re: Black butterfly 160gr raptor screamer.

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:43 pm

Here's the Link to the bullets for reloading them.

According to Quickload, Start out with 46 gr of Lil Gun and seat the bullet so that the shank is at least 1/2 caliber down in the case. More is better but impacts your pressure.

QuickLoad is software that Predicts what will happen. It is Not a substitute for load workup starting low and working up. It just Predicts where it is safe to begin IMHO. Given these bullets run north of $2.00 each, prepare yourself for an expensive journey. The good news is you only have to do the workup once.

Note of Caution: I have never worked with this bullet, so you're somewhat off the reservation.

Hoot

Edit: The bad news is that they've been on back order for over a year and a half, according to the reviews. :|
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:19 pm

If using LilGun my Maximum load in a AR-15 is 45 gr....I've shot over 20 whitetail bucks with the load....

You can buy the bullet from Cutting Edge Bullets the maker of it.

Was the first person to use the CEB 160 gr. it was originally for 50 caliber muzzleloader with a sabot....I called Dan had him sell me bullets with no sabot....the next week it was a cataloged item....

The load that I use that is OK in several AR-15 with 20" barrel it gets with in a couple feet of 2700 fps.....I also use a heavy spring and have added a lead filled bolt carrier that has been done on this Web Site....

In a bolt action I have push the 160 gr. bullet close to 3000 fps with a 20" barrel....

Whats great about the CEB 160 gr. Raptor you cannot push the bullet to fast...hunting I have shot bucks from 20-200 yards every angle even straight front I've only had one buck that was not DRT it went 20 yards and it was shot in the rear of the lungs and liver.....
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:47 pm

I'm gonna have to look into them CW, that's cooking right along.

How does your Ridgeline like them?
Al in Mi

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:43 am

Al in Mi wrote:I'm gonna have to look into them CW, that's cooking right along.

How does your Ridgeline like them?

Holy cow ! Every rifle I've shot them in will shoot under 3/4" at 100 yards with a 10 power scope....my Ridgeline is almost one hole at 100 yards and 5/8" at 200 yards and its not even broken in yet....

I go and brag on Cutting Edge Bullets ever chance I get... was the inventor of the CEB 160 gr. Raptor they are the BEST bullets I have ever used on game animals have yet to shoot one that will not out shoot anything else made most game is DRT the ones that do run don't go very far like 20 yards....the fun part is finding a bullet that will shoot close to a CEB bullet and use it to just punch holes in paper....
Found some MagTec 165 gr. all copper bullets that I use to just get on target and just punch paper...there made for the 45 ACP but work very good and just fun to shoot ....I don't even know if they are made or can even find them any more still have a couple hundred and bought them maybe 6 years ago....
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:01 am

I'll have to keep a eye out when they are back in stock.

What powder has worked best for you?
Al in Mi

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 am

CEB has moved to Idaho and sometimes bullets are out of stock but if you order some they will work it in the schedule and usually get them to you in a short time....one thing great about CEB they will make custom bullets just about anything you could think of.....

I'am going to have CEB make me some bullets for the 50 B&M SS basically the same dimensions as a Hornady 300 gr. plastic tip out of brass with a plastic tip should be around 240 gr.....one problem with the 50 B&M SS it is built on a Winchester 70 WSSM action not a lot of room in the magazine for bullets with tips....its a small rifle with a 16" barrel....one thing with the right bullet it will harvest even a elephant....friend of mines son has shot a bull elephant, cape buffalo, Australian buffalo and many different African and North American animals....
coyote wacker

Postby Thundarr10 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:12 pm

I did pull one BB round apart and it had 41gr of an unidentified powder. I ordered some CEB bullets a while ago so I have 50 to play with. Thanks for the info. The BB 160s shoot great out of my tromix barrel, I mean 5 rounds touching each other at 100yd good. The velocity out of my 16in barrel is around 2600 so of course thats my target load. Thanks again for the responses.
Thundarr10

Postby Hoot » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:21 pm

Thundarr10 wrote:I did pull one BB round apart and it had 41gr of an unidentified powder. I ordered some CEB bullets a while ago so I have 50 to play with. Thanks for the info. The BB 160s shoot great out of my tromix barrel, I mean 5 rounds touching each other at 100yd good. The velocity out of my 16in barrel is around 2600 so of course thats my target load. Thanks again for the responses.

That mystery powder may be Alliant 2400. I have used that with 160-185gr bullets. Too quirky above 200gr however.

Could you do me a favor and measure the length of one of those Cutting Edge 160 bullets? QuickLoad only has the 150gr hollow point listed. Also the CoL of one of those BB 160 cartridges.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:35 am

CEB 160 gr Raptor is .870" long....COL is 2.256"....Usable case capacity 42.304 grains.....

I have tried Enforcer and 296 and got my best velocities with LilGun....but all my work was back in 2014 in a 20" AR-15 so the pressure and velocity are on the low side....well at least under 40'000 psi and just under 2700 fps.....

2400 and Enforcer are around the same burn rate....

Old pressure computer work given out by CEB back in 2015 doesn't even have 2400 or Enforcer on it....just wonder if the information has changed ?

One thing to remember with LilGun you can compress it slightly start to compress it more and velocities start to go down....it happened to me and Michael at B&M Rifles we just cannot figure out why it happens....it was not just one lot but is consistent with the powder....
coyote wacker

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b