Those with the quick load software

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Those with the quick load software

Postby Thundarr10 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:01 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I’m in the planning stages of replicating the Black Butterfly 160gr raptor screamer round. I have sourced a little of Alliant 2400 powder. Can any of you reloading vets give me a starting point with this powder using the cutting edge bullets 160gr round? This is for an ar platform with a 16” barrel. Just trying to begin this experiment as efficiently as possible. As always any suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.
Thundarr10

Re: Those with the quick load software

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:41 pm

I'll give you a springtime load. 2400 exhibits temperature sensitivity. You'll need to work up a hot weather and cold weather load depending upon what the temps are like when you intend to use them and how close to max load you intend to go. Reloading 101

Loading those 160's to a COL of 2.26, start with 35gr and work up in half grain increments. After you get some successful 35gr loads of this stuff under your belt, only then start working up.There should be an accuracy node right at 35gr and again around 36.5gr as well as 37.5gr. Faster powders go through accuracy node swings more frequently than slower burning powders.

Allowing for summer use, don't exceed 37.5gr.

We want range reports, with pictures. Hunting results as well.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Those with the quick load software

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:17 am

It fun to experiment with different load data but some times you just need to go with what has been proven to work.....myself trying 2400 is a waste of great components because of how different it working in cold and warm temperatures.....
The only bad that I've found with LilGun is it can be compressed a little start to compress it to much and you will start to loose velocity .....I have never had a powder do that in over 50 years of reloading.....
coyote wacker

Return to Reloading for the 450b