220gr Lehigh test

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

220gr Lehigh test

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:40 am

Nose shape on these Lehigh bullets have always intrigued me, part of me said marketing hype, the other part said hmm, might need to try them, so picked up a box to try on paper and possibly do a hair test on. Only gun at my disposal was my Savage built 45 Raptor so I loaded a few over 45gr H110 and hit the bags on my old rickety bench. No clue on speed, but they will shoot for sure, next time out I'm gonna dig out the rest and get a bit more serious!!

the nose shape gave me some feeding issues from the mag, so gonna be a single shot and will work on that over the winter.

Ready for a hair test, tagged out on bucks during archery so last Wednesday one of the target does popped out 150yds and the Raptor barked. Typical heart shot on leftside, she ran 40-50yd with a blood trail ole Stevie could follow. Shed autopsy was interesting, 3/4-1" hole on both sides, enough bloodshot damage behind shoulders you'd of thought she was hit with a expanding bullet.

Difently going to have to do another hair test, try and get the lugs and see if they get jellied up, pretty impressed on the first try, maybe some magic in that nose shape after all.
Al in Mi

Re: 220gr Lehigh test

Postby coyote wacker » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 am

Figured a 200 gr-220 gr all copper or brass bullet would be a ideal weight for a bullet for the 450 BM or its Big brother 45 Raptor....just not quit this design....

I have a box of the Lehigh's was able the push them a little past 2600 fps....just wasn't brave enough to poke a living animal with one....

Just wonder how they would act on body armor....that was my thinking when I bought some....
coyote wacker

Re: 220gr Lehigh test

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 am

i watched a few handgun gel test videos and figured they warranted a hair test and with the higher speed I felt confident.

But this just one test and happened to drill the heart, would like to do a lung test after this 40 gets baptized.

dunno on the body armor, I'd guess at handgun velocity it would stop one, don't think so at rifle velocity. But if it did, man you'd be sucking up a lot of energy.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b