225 Gr. FTX

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 225 Gr. FTX

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Just to be clear, can someone who has reloaded these confirm that this is the Hornady 225 gr .452 diameter FTX #45218, which they make as the 45 Colt Rifle bullet?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Just to be clear, can someone who has reloaded these confirm that this is the Hornady 225 gr .452 diameter FTX #45218, which they make as the 45 Colt Rifle bullet?

One in the same. Still holds the record for my best 100 yard group.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Great. As soon as I unload some brass and send the 250's downrange, I will be reloading with the 225's and the recipe suggested (yes, I have read all the disclaimers) on this board with WSR's, up to 38 gr of Lil Gun (I have a 20" barrel), a COL of 2.15, a taper crimp of .475 or .476, and the front canelure just barely out of sight in the brass. Hope to be able to provide my chrono data and some notes on accuracy (but I am shooting off a bipod, so somewhat subjective).

Can't believe how helpful these posts have been.
Jim in Houston

Postby aurelius689 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:49 pm

I wish I was getting your results!
I'm getting like 7moa with these bullets.. Maybe its my faxon barrel or my athlon scope... but I'm gunna try some bullets designed for 450 bushmaster before I go replacing that stuff.
I know its not me.. I get .75moa with my 168gr 308 match reloads out of my $450 savage bolt gun with a $200 brunton scope...
aurelius689

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:00 pm

aurelius689 wrote:I wish I was getting your results!
I'm getting like 7moa with these bullets.. Maybe its my faxon barrel or my athlon scope... but I'm gunna try some bullets designed for 450 bushmaster before I go replacing that stuff.
I know its not me.. I get .75moa with my 168gr 308 match reloads out of my $450 savage bolt gun with a $200 brunton scope...

Welcome Aboard Aurelius!

What were the numbers you used that yielded 7 MOA?
IE
What powder, what different charges you tried, what primer, what COL if other than 2.15 (as recommended), what amount of taper crimp applied using the Hornady die set (not Lee FCD). Trying to evaluate any variables as most members have reported great groups with the 225 FTX as well. I mean a lot of members! The variables matter as changing them from what has been demonstrated to yield good results, can change those results. Sorry but shooting a bottleneck bolt action accurately does not necessarily translate to shooting similarly good groups in an AR platform. I have bolt action rifles that deliver 5 shot .5 MOA at 100 yds with almost no effort. I can not say I have had the same result with an AR platform, especially in a caliber that bucks and snorts like the 450b. If you were local, I'd invite you to the local range with me to compare loads, rifles, etc. Might reveal something.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby offrink » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm

I have followed the directions given by many on here and had to write them down and consolidate them. It ended up working well and getting 3/4” groups with 275 xpb’s. That is out of a built lower with bushy 16” upper. It also took over 25 hours to get the proper information to reload correctly (lots of reading the same thing over and over to get my comprehension top notch). Good luck!
offrink

Postby aurelius689 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am

Hoot,
This is my load
lil' gun powder. I tried charges @ 37.2gr @ 38.2gr and @ 39.2gr, all produced about the same inaccuracy roughly 7" @ 100 yard
bullet seated to an oal of 2.12 (right on the cannelure).
crimped to .475 with the Hornady die (not for nothing but what is wrong with the lee factory crimp die? Everyone raves about that die.)
cci small rifle primer.

I KNOW its not me, and I'll leave it at that.

I don't think it's load that's the problem. I don't think it is possible tweak a load to reduce a group size 6moa. I'm new to reloading though, I've only been reloading for 12 years.
In the past when I've had such lousy groups, I changed out the junk bullets, for better quality ones, and it solved the problem.
I'm not saying its the bullets though (it could easily be the POS Athlon scope, not able to handle the recoil. I have no idea why the scope is rated so highly on amazon, it really does seem like a POS), the bullets are just the first thing I want to try in the troubleshooting process.
It's pretty cold here in RI now, so I might not get to test the 250s out until spring, but I will update when I do.

and Hoot, if the recoil is too much for you, check out the Fab Defense gl-shock buttstock. It works very well for this caliber.
aurelius689

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:54 am

Scope or a bad barrel about all that's left.

Scope a easy switch. Barrel, if there is a brake on it, check for bullet rub, then I'd check the crown.
Al in Mi

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:07 pm

I have had this type of "unexplained" scatter on four occasions. Once was a bad lot of ammo. That does not appear to be your problem. The other times were scope problems. In one case screws attaching the rings to the base had loosened up. In another case, the lens containing the cross hairs had rotated slightly, probably due to the recoil from the 450 on a bargain basement scope. The fourth time the internals of the scope were - to use a technical term - messed up. I could not get enough adjustment for elevation and the windage adjustment was frozen.

Be sure your scope is firmly mounted (I use a FAT torque wrench on mine) and that windage and elevation adjustments are working. Swap out to a different scope, if you have one.
Jim in Houston

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 pm

what kind of result do you get with factory 250 ftx ammo?

if those dont shoot - you can be pretty sure you have a firearm problem.
plant_one

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b