The MagTech 230 Grain FMJ in action! Videos!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

The MagTech 230 Grain FMJ in action! Videos!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:30 pm

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: The MagTech 230 Grain FMJ in action! Videos!

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for taking the time to make and post these videos, but could you invest in a tripod for your camera man and maybe some eye protection?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:15 pm

That settles it. I gotta get me a decent camcorder too.

I would not have predicted that water shot outcome. Goes to show the value of velocity in the big picture. I dare say, that would have have put a hurtdown on a deer shot in the boiler room. I see a WC rant coming... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 pm

I wonder if a Brass Solid would do the trick on the steel plate?

The water shot results are quite impressive to say the least! I would of never guessed it was going to expand to almost an inch. Nice videos! Thanks for sharing!!!
Stealthshooter

Postby gunnut » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Bump it up to 45grns. of LiL Gun!
I've been shooting "Zero" 230grn over 45grns of LG for over a year now. No ill effects. Mainly for recoil R&D.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:25 pm

gunnut wrote:Bump it up to 45grns. of LiL Gun!
I've been shooting "Zero" 230grn over 45grns of LG for over a year now. No ill effects. Mainly for recoil R&D.

With QL tweaked for my 450b and current bottle of Lil Gun, that's a good load. Not sure what effect temperature has upon it, but at 70 Deg, it specs to 2400 fps out of my 20" barrel, with a chamber pressure estimated to be almost at maximum "school marm" safe level of 37.3k psi.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Hoot wrote:That settles it. I gotta get me a decent camcorder too.

I would not have predicted that water shot outcome. Goes to show the value of velocity in the big picture. I dare say, that would have have put a hurtdown on a deer shot in the boiler room. I see a WC rant coming... ;)

Hoot

Yup, Velocity & Bullet Diameter. Tis an argument I had with Col. Jeff Cooper, when I was introducing him to the 45pro concept and I made the argument that speed can indeed kill more effectively. He did not like that at all, but when I used the additional argument that we have always had big bullets and small bullets, big bullets that go slow and small bullets that go fast. Assuming quality bullet construction, what would happen if we had big bullets that went fast? He had never considered that part of the equation, and immediately signed on and wanted an AR, for the first time in his life, to which I did build him one.

What would the outcome be, in the jug tests, if a better bullet were found (this being the oldest continuous big bore caliber, they're out there) and higher speeds obtained?

From Tex's and the Hoots excellent work, we start to get the idea, that we can indeed, just simply, "GREASE", Elk at 400+yds. I have data that proves that, but one eggs, does not a cake make. So it is, that I encourage others to keep on experimenting, to verify my results..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks for taking the time to make and post these videos, but could you invest in a tripod for your camera man and maybe some eye protection?

Yes, I do need another tripod or two. Unfortunately, the Only tripod I own had to be used for the remote camera closest to the target for safety reasons. The camera guys were behind me and fairly safe but I guess they could have worn safety glasses. But my camera guy, you're gonna have to lay off of, he's only 13 and a bit excitable. He's also family. So if his video is a bit jumpy, try to remember how excitable you would have been in his shoes. But you're right, there's always room for improvement and we will continue to improve. And yes, we all wore hearing protection.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:44 pm

gunnut wrote:Bump it up to 45grns. of LiL Gun!

This was just a starting load with a taper crimp. I thought about the Legendre Crimp but figured I better consult the gurus first. My next session of these same loads will be over a Chronograph, 5 rounds may have the Side crimp. The othe 5 will be just like the ones shot in these videos and the last five for grouping. My next batch of MagTechs will be around 40-41grains if all goes well. But we are headed back into the 100+ degrees days again so it may be a while yet.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 am

Thank you, Tex! I did not think the FMJ would expand like that in water. Impressive. I pity the poor whitetail that gets in my sights this season!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b