The MagTech 230 Grain FMJ in action! Videos!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: The MagTech 230 Grain FMJ in action! Videos!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 am

Jeepejeep wrote:Thank you, Tex! I did not think the FMJ would expand like that in water. Impressive. I pity the poor whitetail that gets in my sights this season!

I really wished that I had some more data to go on that would include different powders, SAMMI pressures, best crimps and such. I can only Chrony my loads now. That is, if the "refrigerator incident" didn't ruin my Chrony. :?: But knowing my bullet speed and powder loads is a clue to pressures and I am sure WC is gonna pipe back in here and help me out of this because I'm still a greenhorn.
Note; a Whirlpool won't fit in a Chrony, but a Chrony will fit nicely in a Whirlpool, I just can't explain with a straight face why I know this and I don't know what these facts proved.... :| yet. All I can say is never leave your sleepwalking, sugared up 15 year old alone at 03:00HRS with your Chrony, Chips and dip, and a refrigerator. You guys that have shot your Chronys.........At least you know WHY. :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:Thank you, Tex! I did not think the FMJ would expand like that in water. Impressive. I pity the poor whitetail that gets in my sights this season!

I really wished that I had some more data to go on that would include different powders, SAMMI pressures, best crimps and such. I can only Chrony my loads now. That is, if the "refrigerator incident" didn't ruin my Chrony. :?: But knowing my bullet speed and powder loads is a clue to pressures and I am sure WC is gonna pipe back in here and help me out of this because I'm still a greenhorn.
Note; a Whirlpool won't fit in a Chrony, but a Chrony will fit nicely in a Whirlpool, I just can't explain with a straight face why I know this and I don't know what these facts proved.... :| yet. All I can say is never leave your sleepwalking, sugared up 15 year old alone at 03:00HRS with your Chrony, Chips and dip, and a refrigerator. You guys that have shot your Chronys.........At least you know WHY. :roll:

It sounds like there is a good story here LMAO
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
gunnut wrote:Bump it up to 45grns. of LiL Gun!
I've been shooting "Zero" 230grn over 45grns of LG for over a year now. No ill effects. Mainly for recoil R&D.

This was just a starting load with a taper crimp. I thought about the Legendre Crimp but figured I better consult the gurus first. My next session of these same loads will be over a Chronograph, 5 rounds may have the Side crimp. The othe 5 will be just like the ones shot in these videos and the last five for grouping. My next batch of MagTechs will be around 40-41grains if all goes well. But we are headed back into the 100+ degrees days again so it may be a while yet.

Given the Magtechs don't have a cannelure to catch, if you try a stab crimp, you're going to have to drive it hard enough to create a groove in the bullet wall through the case wall, AKA wasp crimp. Somehow, I suspect it will not have a positive impact upon accuracy. It has however, been done before, just not by me.

When I get off work, I have 5 sets of two, reduced velocity loads to simulate distance. This time, I was absolutely fastidious making them with QL compensated to reflect how my powder and rifle behave and each pair are as identical as humanly possible, right down the tenth of a grain on the grits buffering filler. I will toss one of each load across the Chrony and save the other one for re-shooting the water shots. That way, I know precisely the velocity that yields the result, not just a predicted velocity. The range is missing it's superstructure in between weekends and we've generally discouraged folks from using it in between weekends, so I may have it to myself. If that is the case, I have 3 sets of water jugs squirreled away in the back of the truck to test with. I sincerely believe now that the first tests were done with the rounds loaded way lower in velocity than I thought they would turn out to be. Now, we'll have some more precise data to munch on. Results to follow in a separate thread.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

I am very surprised that the fmj loads are actually expanding better than the Hornady FTX's.. or am I missing something? I had the pleasure to shoot gunnuts load at the opening of muzzle break season 2 years ago. There was a log about 16" in diameter and about 14" sitting up on end, about 50yds out that I rocked off it's bottom, but I coulndnt tip it. I put in gunnuts load, and it rolled it over easily. I was really impressed. We talked about the legality or lack therof of shooting this load in a hunting situation because it is a non expanding bullet. I bet I could show a judge this video and he'd adjourn the courtroom in a hurry!!
Nice work Dawg.
bushmeister

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 pm

bushmeister wrote:I am very surprised that the fmj loads are actually expanding better than the Hornady FTX's.. or am I missing something? I had the pleasure to shoot gunnuts load at the opening of muzzle break season 2 years ago. There was a log about 16" in diameter and about 14" sitting up on end, about 50yds out that I rocked off it's bottom, but I coulndnt tip it. I put in gunnuts load, and it rolled it over easily. I was really impressed. We talked about the legality or lack therof of shooting this load in a hunting situation because it is a non expanding bullet. I bet I could show a judge this video and he'd adjourn the courtroom in a hurry!!
Nice work Dawg.

Let's hope a judge never has to see this video, guys! LOL!
I gotta admit, I am still in awe of this particular water shot. I've shot all kinds of melons and stuff that Gallahger would be impressed with. The hydraulic shock on my stand was so powerful, it busted a treated 2X6 in half. Imagine that transfer of that same shock to a hogs' spine. :o
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Hoot, if'n ya can, use plenty of jugs, to assure recovery of the bullet..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

It sounds like there is a good story here LMAO

VERY funny... Bizarre, but funny!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I wonder if a Brass Solid would do the trick on the steel plate?

The water shot results are quite impressive to say the least! I would of never guessed it was going to expand to almost an inch. Nice videos! Thanks for sharing!!!

And we all need to remember that this steel plate I am dealing with is actually thicker than 3/8ths".
it actually measures out at 0.421", (7/16") thick. It might not give it up as easy as a true 3/8' plate.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Stealthshooter wrote:I wonder if a Brass Solid would do the trick on the steel plate?

The water shot results are quite impressive to say the least! I would of never guessed it was going to expand to almost an inch. Nice videos! Thanks for sharing!!!

And we all need to remember that this steel plate I am dealing with is actually thicker than 3/8ths".
it actually measures out at 0.421", (7/16") thick. It might not give it up as easy as a true 3/8' plate.

I was just wondering because I may know something you guys don't :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 am

Stealthshooter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:

I was just wondering because I may know something you guys don't :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Okay, so we've waited forever... what do you know that I am dying to know? :shock:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b