My first 450 reloads

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: My first 450 reloads

Postby wildcatter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I just got back from the range. I didn't have any luck with the 296 loads. They would not light off. The 2400 loads shot well but are pretty light. I got 2100fps from 36.1 grains of 2400 and the 200's there was sooting about half way down the case. I was able to get her on paper ans shoot a 1" 3 shot group though.

Here is what the 296 looked like after I knocked the bullet out of my barrel.
[ http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20110828_131124.jpg ]

Whoa!! Hold up Champ!! You need to reevaluate your loading practices! That Clumping is typical of light loaded 296 and you may be heading down the road of a Pressure-Wave event, better known as a detonation!!

For the record, the reloading manuals all say, not to under load their receipts, more than 3%, when using 296.

You didn't say, but I'm curious about the load results, i.e. how far down the barrel did the bullet travel, before stopping? "Stopping" at length at all, and then igniting the powder, is like having a stuck bullet in the bore and then firing another round, right behind the stuck bullet, two bullets in the bore problem, Oops..

Ya gotta use enough 296, in the first place, then use a hot primer and the Hottest (in terms of brisants), in my experience is the Remmy 7 1/2, in small rifle and the very hottest of all primers is the Federal 215, in large rifle. The 215 is so hot and volatile, I've had them ignite, just from the act of cambering, but they sure can get things cooking. The Remmies are the only ones I'm using these days and are by far hotter, than any of the others (imo), just not nearly as hot as the 215's. And then, you'd better heed the Hoot's Crimping Admonitions. Your Pre-Detonation Clumping was prolly a combination of all these things and maybe other reloading practices, we don't know about. The real trick is to avoid Post-Detonation, so-to-speak.

This balancing act, is just one of many, we Handloaders are used to and must deal with them strongly, if we are to keep from blowing a gun up..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm

I think I figured out the problem. I loaded these in the Virgin primed brass I just received from the "pull down" operation. Well I think I figured out why they stopped production and pulled these from the line. I don't think the primers are up to par. So.....I popped all the primers from the rest of the brass and replaced them with Rem 7 1/2's
I loaded some 300 grain SST's sitting on top of 43 grains of 296 which is 1.2 grains away from QL max this resulted in a slightly compressed load. I also added a good tapper crimp to them. I'm headed out in the morning to shoot them.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Almost forgot the bullet was just barely lodged in the throat. It only took one good thump with the cleaning rod to dislodge it.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Almost forgot the bullet was just barely lodged in the throat. It only took one good thump with the cleaning rod to dislodge it.

You may be correct in them having light primers. However, when you pulled the clumpers down, how hard was it to get the 200 bullets out? Did you use a collet puller or inertial puller? Properly crimped, it takes me anywhere from 5-7 whacks with an inertial puller to get out properly retained bullets and a stiff taper crimp on the forward cannelure should provide that degree of tension. I ask because a lot of folks claim that even with powerful primers, if you don't have enough neck tension the blast from the primer will be all it takes to launch the bullet out of the case before the powder has had a chance to ignite. That is especially true with slower burning powders and lighter bullets. I have seen that clumping before, posted by others who discovered they didn't have enough neck tension. I first started off using cool running BR4's because I had a brick of them form my other smaller calibers and I was quite pleased with them in that capacity. It didn't take long to realize they were holding me back with Lil Gun, though quite adequate for 2400. The BR4s would light off slower powders, they just didn't get them stoked up as far as they were capable of being stoked before the case released the bullet.

FWIW, there isn't too much difference in heat/power between the Rem 7 1/2, WSR and Fed GM205M, from my own experience. The velocity spread between the three was only like 10-15fps for the same charge of Lil Gun and same bullet. The BR4s ran behind that pack by something like 50fps. I did a post with graphs comparing the difference between the four. It's back a half dozen pages or so. I've had one clumper back last year when I was trying Berry's 230gr TCJ (thin copper foil over lead) bullets. The bullets were so soft and lacked springback enough that I could pull them with 2-3 whacks. Also, last year I had loaded some 225s over Lil Gun for some reason or other, using the taper crimp driven stiffly into the front cannelure as I've already alluded to. When the hammer fell on one of the loads, there was a barely perceivable snap sound. Certainly not a crack, nor the boom I had been getting. I waited about 20 seconds and hand cycled the round out and the bullet was still seated at the cannelure. Given the primer dent, I assumed I had a bad primer.When I got home and pulled the bullet (5-7 whacks), I discovered that the primer had indeed gone off but on an empty case.The point being that with the amount of neck tension I was using, the force of the primer alone was not enough to drive the bullet out of the case. Since that's the only time this ever happened to me, I can't say conclusively that with the proper crimp, a primer will not ever drive a bullet out. That's just the experience I had that one time. It certainly was an eye opener and a lesson in paying closer attention to your charged cases before dropping a bullet into them.

I'm pretty anal about case tension, to the point that before I prime my cases, I swab out the mouths to the depth of the bullet I will be using, one by one with q-tips dipped in brake cleaner to make sure I get any possible lubricant off the inside of the necks. Blammo Ammo folks probably laugh at that degree of case prep attention to detail. You've probably read this already, but try not to use the mouth expander before seating your bullets. You'll get more tension from the mouth than if you do and then crimp the brass back down. My experience has been that stretched case mouths with a bullet in them do not return to as tight as un-stretched. Obviously, if you stab crimp after a taper crimp, the expander is not as big a factor as the stab crimp usually holds the lion's share of the tension when applied further back from the mouth. Lastly (thank god), the modified Lee FCD crimper, set to place a wide jawed crimp right at the mouth in place of the taper crimp can sometimes produce more tension than the taper crimp. If in doubt, taper crimp first and than apply the conventional Lee FCD crimp. Don't confuse that with using a modded Lee FCD die with the narrowed jaw bite and placed further down the case to catch a cannelure or driving band groove. They're two different approaches.

I look forward to reading about your results with the SSTs. So far, QL has yet to predict a velocity in any of my loads for this caliber that was not overestimated. I believe Hartmut chooses to factor in the 10% reduction with his calculation results to avoid getting anyone hurt because that about how much slower actual results turn out for me, depending upon the powder.

YMMV.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm

I used an inertia puller and it took 10 good whacks to dislodge the slugs.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 am

Stealthshooter wrote:I used an inertia puller and it took 10 good whacks to dislodge the slugs.

Primers! :shock:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:32 pm

So today I shot the 300's and the first shot over pressured and stuck in the chamber. This load was 1.2 grains less than the QL max load. It shot at 2274 fps. I hate to say it but 296 is too picky for me. I think I'm going to move on to either 4198 or Rel 7.
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:So today I shot the 300's and the first shot over pressured and stuck in the chamber. This load was 1.2 grains less than the QL max load. It shot at 2274 fps. I hate to say it but 296 is too picky for me. I think I'm going to move on to either 4198 or Rel 7.

Whats wrong with LilGun? :?:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Stealthshooter wrote:So today I shot the 300's and the first shot over pressured and stuck in the chamber. This load was 1.2 grains less than the QL max load. It shot at 2274 fps. I hate to say it but 296 is too picky for me. I think I'm going to move on to either 4198 or Rel 7.

Whats wrong with LilGun? :?:

Nothing is wrong with lilgun but I'm going to be pushing 350's and 400's so I'm going with a bit slower powders.
Stealthshooter

Postby Siringo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm

I was going to suggest to you that you pay attention to the load data that Hornady originally put out. It was in a hand written format --- and was on this site in the reloading area. Now it is gone ---- where did it go??????

I use ONLY LG -- having tried the others -- with poor success. With 300's --- 30.5 to 32.0 worked nicely. With 400's I used 25 grs of LG. All with WSR primers.
Siringo

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b