My first 450 reloads

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: My first 450 reloads

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Siringo wrote:I was going to suggest to you that you pay attention to the load data that Hornady originally put out. It was in a hand written format --- and was on this site in the reloading area. Now it is gone ---- where did it go??????

I use ONLY LG -- having tried the others -- with poor success. With 300's --- 30.5 to 32.0 worked nicely. With 400's I used 25 grs of LG. All with WSR primers.

I have not seen that data? What velocities were you getting from your loads? What length barrel do you have?

Thanks much
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Siringo wrote:I was going to suggest to you that you pay attention to the load data that Hornady originally put out. It was in a hand written format --- and was on this site in the reloading area. Now it is gone ---- where did it go??????

I use ONLY LG -- having tried the others -- with poor success. With 300's --- 30.5 to 32.0 worked nicely. With 400's I used 25 grs of LG. All with WSR primers.

Isn't this it here? http://www.450bushmaster.net/download/file.php?id=7 I must admit though, pushing those XTP 300s with 34.5gr of 296 yielding 1800 fps seems a little conservative. In retrospect, 43gr is definitely pushing one's luck. I never paid close attention to stealthshooter's original recipe as I'm neither experienced with 296, nor 300gr bullets. Oh well, count your blessings and put an extra dollar in the plate on Sunday.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Hoot wrote:

Isn't this it here? http://www.450bushmaster.net/download/file.php?id=7 I must admit though, pushing those XTP 300s with 34.5gr of 296 yielding 1800 fps seems a little conservative. In retrospect, 43gr is definitely pushing one's luck. I never paid close attention to stealthshooter's original recipe as I'm neither experienced with 296, nor 300gr bullets. Oh well, count your blessings and put an extra dollar in the plate on Sunday.

Hoot

According to QL 44.2 grains is max for moly'd 300's with 296. But yes things could of turned out much worse!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 am

Wow. Great info from Hoot in his last two long posts on crimping and cannelures. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Siringo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Yes -- Hoot that is the data. I used resized 45-70 bullets. Hornady to be exact. Velocity was as per chart. Accuracy was 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
Siringo

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:01 pm

The current reloading data is in the 8th edition of the Hornady Handbook and also here http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf. It looks the same as the handwritten "original" data, but I haven't checked each number.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pitted bore » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:00 am

Jim in Houston wrote:The current reloading data is in the 8th edition of the Hornady Handbook and also here http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/450_bushmaster_ftx.pdf. It looks the same as the handwritten "original" data, but I haven't checked each number.

Jim (or anybody else)-

I've already spent all my allowance for this month (at Midway), so the 8th Hornady Handbook is still in my future. Hence this question:

The handwritten 450B data sheets from Hornady show data not only for the 250 FTX bullet, but also for the 240 XTP/MAG, and 300 gr XTP/MAG. Does the
8th edition show data for the three bullets, or only for the 250 FTX?

Thanks.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BD1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Hoot[/quote]

According to QL 44.2 grains is max for moly'd 300's with 296. But yes things could of turned out much worse!![/quote]

You might want to check this again. When I run this load in QuickLoad using the default parameters, and .66 for moly, I'm getting 37.2 grains of 296 as max.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I believe that QuickLoad's computer model for the .450B is based on a single load, using the factory round with the 250 grain FTX. That is mighty thin ice to extrapolate on. Start low and use a chronograph before going near the ragged edge. I have found that Quickloads predictions for the .450B can vary quite a bit from reality when you start changing the components used. This is not like using Quickload for the 30-06, or .44 mag, where the computer model is based on hundreds of pressure tested loadings using a wide variety of components.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:03 am

BD1 wrote:Hoot

According to QL 44.2 grains is max for moly'd 300's with 296. But yes things could of turned out much worse!![/quote]

You might want to check this again. When I run this load in QuickLoad using the default parameters, and .66 for moly, I'm getting 37.2 grains of 296 as max.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I believe that QuickLoad's computer model for the .450B is based on a single load, using the factory round with the 250 grain FTX. That is mighty thin ice to extrapolate on. Start low and use a chronograph before going near the ragged edge. I have found that Quickloads predictions for the .450B can vary quite a bit from reality when you start changing the components used. This is not like using Quickload for the 30-06, or .44 mag, where the computer model is based on hundreds of pressure tested loadings using a wide variety of components.
BD[/quote]

Might be a good question for the QL Folks. I see the German, that developed the program, at the SHOT SHOW from time to time, but his English is tough for me to understand..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Cratermaker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Man, I started to reload some LG with a 230 gr round nose and thought I should read more about Little Gun powder. There's some bad words on the internet about little gun what's up with that?
Don't worry little brother there's more of them!
Cratermaker

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b