My first 450 reloads

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: My first 450 reloads

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Cratermaker wrote:Man, I started to reload some LG with a 230 gr round nose and thought I should read more about Little Gun powder. There's some bad words on the internet about little gun what's up with that?

If there are negative waves regarding LG, I haven't read it here. Personally, I'm using LG to work up a load for FMJs and so far, so good. Go check out my video on the water shot and the steel plate. But I think primers play a huge role. They gotta be hot. WSR is what I'm using with a taper crimp to .476. But lots of guy like the Remmy 7 1/2 primers too.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I have reloaded and fired several hundred rounds with LG using the Hornady Handbook for load weights and 450 Bushmaster 250 gr bullets. No problems noted.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Cratermaker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:23 pm

I would trust you guys over anyone else about 450b reloads. I can answer my own question about why there would be negative statements made about L G. That's why some people shoot themselves just cleaning there weapons.
Don't worry little brother there's more of them!
Cratermaker

Postby simpleman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Hey SS
Reading your post "Here we go!!"
You were at 48 gr of 296 with the 200 ftx. Speed and acruracy looked good. Just wondering why you are stepping down to 44 gr.?
Do you have the OAL for those loads? Any information would help.
I have some Barns 200 XPBs as well to load. If I can get some info from you on your work with the 200s it would help me out.
simpleman

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 am

simpleman wrote:Hey SS
Reading your post "Here we go!!"
You were at 48 gr of 296 with the 200 ftx. Speed and acruracy looked good. Just wondering why you are stepping down to 44 gr.?
Do you have the OAL for those loads? Any information would help.
I have some Barns 200 XPBs as well to load. If I can get some info from you on your work with the 200s it would help me out.

Hello simpleman!

I am still using the 48 grains of 296 in my 200's I think the post you read was an older post. Infact I have 50 of those bad boys loaded up waiting on spring to pop up along with the local rockchucks!! Can't wait to see what they do to one!!
Stealthshooter

Postby simpleman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Rock chuck? What is that. Sounds small. I think you are hunting elephants with a howitzer. Lol. Should be fun. Can you give me update on your loDs and where you think I should start with 296?
simpleman

Postby paulmark3010 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Yea. I got some blem 200s and some 296. I would like to know what works well with that too. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Guys, there have been a lot of members listing their pet loads lately and they in all likelihood did not sit down and load it right out of the gate. I can't stress this enough and I wish everyone would include this in their listed loads, but for heavens sake, start lower and work up with a keen eye on excessive pressure signs and also adverse behavior signs in the rifle itself. Also pay attention to whether bullets used in a load are plated with friction reducing coatings and especially the ambient temperature they were shot at. Ball powders are notorious for loads developed at a modest temperature becoming dangerous in hotter temperatures. I'm not an "old lady" where power goes, but we can not casually toss out loads we worked up to the upper limit without including a cautionary note.

Please do not think less of me just because I don't want to suddenly notice you stopped posting. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am

+1 on Hoots comment.
I'm waiting for warmer weather to start working up to the hotter loads just for this reason. I'd hate to load something up that works fine now, and then shoot it when it's 90 out and damage the gun and possibly myself.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 pm

If you go back through my loads you will see where I started. I don't even dare to say where to start with the 296 just because it can be so primer and case fill sensitive. All I can say is what my gun likes.
Stealthshooter

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b