Here we go!!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Here we go!!

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 am

Well I had a very successful day at the range!! The first order of business was to get my 300 grain loads zeroed at 250 yards and then check to see where they were impacting at 300 yards. I set my zero at 6.9" high at 100 yards then took things over to the 300 yard target. I fired a 3 shot group which ended up just a bit over 3" and lucky enough it was hitting 9" low which puts it exactly where it needs to be for me to use the first BDC mark in my scope! The next step was to perform my is it going to work for my hunting load test which consists of shooting steel bowling pins at 300 yards. Using the first BDC mark that I mentioned before I knocked over 3 pins with 4 shots the miss was absolutely my fault. I also noticed that it knocks the pins over with AUTHORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second order of business was to test some new 350 and 200 grains loads and find out if adding weight to my buffer helped any. Well I am very pleased to say it did help and my loads turned out very well! The loads that were previously too hot and sticking in the chamber are no longer doing so.

350 Hornady
42.5 grains AA1680
AV FPS=1931
Case head expansion=.001"
Under an inch group

200 FTX Using the .284 brass BD1 sent me.
48 Grains 296
AV FPS=2723
Case head expansion=.0015"
Under an inch group.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:38 am

Here are a couple of the 350's I dug out of the dirt berm at the 100 yard target. I don't think I'm going to have a problem with expansion!!

Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

Great info there, hombre! Thanks for sharing. I've had perfect functioning with my weighted BCG too...did you use Hoot's CCWS?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

commander faschisto wrote:Great info there, hombre! Thanks for sharing. I've had perfect functioning with my weighted BCG too...did you use Hoot's CCWS?

No I didn't I realized a couple days ago that Bushy ships the complete rifles with the rifle buffer and I have been using a carbine buffer which is almost 2 OZ lighter than the rifle buffer. I pulled the steel weights out of my buffer and filled it with lead. This put it really close to the weight of the rifle buffer. I believe I went from 2.9 OZ to 4.6 OZ.

Before I did this the 300 SST loads I am shooting were not sooting but I noticed today they were all sooting. It also changed the recoil a bit...It's always been a big push at the shot with just a touch of snap with the hotter loads but this seems to have taken the snap away.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Great info there, hombre! Thanks for sharing. I've had perfect functioning with my weighted BCG too...did you use Hoot's CCWS?

No I didn't I realized a couple days ago that Bushy ships the complete rifles with the rifle buffer and I have been using a carbine buffer which is almost 2 OZ lighter than the rifle buffer. I pulled the steel weights out of my buffer and filled it with lead. This put it really close to the weight of the rifle buffer. I believe I went from 2.9 OZ to 4.6 OZ.

Before I did this the 300 SST loads I am shooting were not sooting but I noticed today they were all sooting. It also changed the recoil a bit...It's always been a big push at the shot with just a touch of snap with the hotter loads but this seems to have taken the snap away.

Great work once again Stealthshooter and good troubleshooting to boot. The buffer weight issue had been discussed before and is buried in here somewhere. I had forgotten it, having read it almost two years ago. You pegged the sensation you feel (or don't) from additional mass in the recoil cycle. Believe it or not, adding even more weight to the carrier tames it even more and from my experience, does not effect ejection of the weights and velocities I load at. I have the rifle buffer and an additional 4 oz of carrier weight. Others may have a different experience. Until it causes me cycling issues or unusual wear, where there shouldn't be any, I'll stay with it. The rifle is not designed to need the additional weight though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 pm

The KE,Momentum and TKO these loads are producing is quite impressive and I think there is room for more!

200 FTX
Energy=3292
Momentum=77
TKO=35

300 SST
Energy=2993
Momentum=90
TKO=41

350's
Energy=2843
Momentum=95
TKO=43
Stealthshooter

Postby simpleman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Stealthshooter
I just happen to have some 200 FTX and some 200 Barns XPB bullets. I am just starting to reload for the 450BM. I like the loads you made with the 296. I am thinking about trying to duplicate your loads. Where are you at on them now? Do you have anymore updates?
I tried some Lil Gun not good accuracy but working way up still.
simpleman

Postby wildcatter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:The KE,Momentum and TKO these loads are producing is quite impressive and I think there is room for more!

200 FTX
Energy=3292
Momentum=77
TKO=35

300 SST
Energy=2993
Momentum=90
TKO=41

350's
Energy=2843
Momentum=95
TKO=43

Just say'en. After reviewing the data, the 375H&H Factory loads, adjusted to a 20" Barrel have a TKO of 36.9.

Attention all Elephants, Cape Buffalo, or mere Moose, Oopsie!!!

And you're nipping at the heals of the 458 Win Mag 500gr factory load.

This is why I think the 275gr XPB Barnes (#45105), with it's Superior BC and Down Range TKO numbers, will be a recipe for a 400 yard plus, kill, next year. Of course it'll take some thoughtful and Safety-Minded, experimenting to up the speeds for an Elk Kill at those ranges. Of course maybe these 350's will be the trick.

Just say'en..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 pm

WC...I think the Hootster has designs on a 275XPB load or two for this coming season at the range...should be very interesting.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bushmeister » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm enjoying this. Thanks for sharing your info SS.
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b