Cast Boolits?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Cast Boolits?

Postby BD1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 am

I can design a boolit with any check shank we want, so can any of you. The issue gets to be the edge of the check getting wavy if you make one too tall using a checkmaker. At that height and above you'd need a swaging type die to keep the side walls of the checks uniform. Jim Sage sent me a couple hundred of his aluminum chacks this week to play with, what exactly is the issue with aluminum and chrome bores? I've never played with aluminum checks and hadn't heard of this issue before. I'll try and get to this soon, but my immediate priorities are work, (deadline looming), and my CO elk hunt starting the 15th.

Just for fun go to the Mountain Molds website and play around with his design software. Dan has cut a number of molds for me, and he cut the original BDacp molds back in the dark ages. He is a class act all the way.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm

I've have read in several posts now that Aluminum will leave deposits in a chrome bore. I don't have any first hand experience with it. Jim said his die maker can build us pretty well any check we want we just have to decide what size will be best for us. I myself like the sounds of the .130" check. U will ask him if they are nice and round all the way up. What do you guys think?
Stealthshooter

Postby BD1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Lets see if we can get a .20 check made? I'd be willing to split the cost of a die set as many ways as possible to get the first ones made.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:20 pm

BD1 wrote:Lets see if we can get a .20 check made? I'd be willing to split the cost of a die set as many ways as possible to get the first ones made.
BD

I'd second that..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm

I'd pitch in what I could!!
Stealthshooter

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b