350 legend

AR15, AK47, FAL, Bolt, Hangun, etc... If I find we need it I will expand this forum.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 350 legend

Postby plant_one » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am

went up to a buddy's on sunday and he asked for some help getting his legend dialed in - the Zero stop turret on the legend calibrated leupy VX-Freedom had him all goofed up. he's old school and tech like that is foreign to him as trying to read a greek newspaper.

anyway, we zeroed the rifle for him at 100, and he had some jugs and a couple targets setup at 200 yds.

plugged the basic data into Strelok, hit calculate, and had a click chart ready to go in about 2 mins. 15 clicks up, cousin pulls the trigger *smack* *pop* jug of water explodes. our friend says "lemme try that" hops on his gun, holds on the other jug, flinches and misses. settles in and drills it on his 2nd shot.

i hope behind the trigger - take a bead on the bullseye and fire off a group. then put about a dozen thru the one jug that was still standing trying to hit it in a way that caught a seam or something to knock it over (turns out it still had about a cup of water in it) but all i could do was get it to rotate a bit.

here's the group, 1½ bullseye sticker, 200 yds, 147gr FMJ winchester white box ammo

plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:29 am

I found a mold I was mostly unaware if. Some online friends have been shooting it with good success. Its a Lyman 358430 RN.

I was able to find my own mold and am anxious to try it!

Last week I was gifted some cast as a HP and have same plans for this mold down the road.

@ 190/200g aughta be near perfect for PC on tap here.

CW
cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:26 am

I kinda forgot at how slow this place can be...

Ran a ladder with 296 and re formed Remington CorLokts 150g. Very favorable results. I have a re fined ladder and will be moving to 100 today.

Also have a small ladder if the 358430 bullet with BlueDot.

My sub loads are also going awesome!! Herco is proving a awesome choice!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 am

Those 150gr remmys are a great bullet, just wish they'd make them available again
Al in Mi

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 pm

(Talking 450 Bush master) I have been loading a Lyman 457122 @ 450g on top ofUnique for 1075fps. It almost cycles so I need to do some adjust. But its very accurate!!

CW

EDIT;

WRONG MOLD NUMBERS!! 122 is the Gould 330 HP. While I do use it, its not a sub bullet
For me. I should have typed 457193!!! The LOUVERN 450g!!

Also while that load is pretty good I have switched to Herco as I have no other use and I ha e a few pounds. Unique is my 43 Mag and 45 Colt powder. ;)

Narrowing in on a good load!! I forgot my chrony yesterday... Grrr. Last test was a slow 939 average. I shot what I loded and they shot better!! And stayed sub sonic too! So maybe Im closer!
Last edited by cwlongshot on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:35 pm

so took the new upper out for a test drive after assembling everything yesterday. Have been chomping at the bit for 2+ weeks for the rest of these parts to arrive with the barrel on my bench giving me the stink eye.

got lucky on the install and scope was only about 12" low and 1.5" right at my cousins 50 yd range so it took me all of 5 shots to get a 50 yd zero on paper and then moved right over to the 50 yd steel plates for the rest of the box and to test the other mags out.

everything ran like a swiss watch, other than blowing a bolt out of one of the 2" "challenge" gongs i have hanging from chains there. those get a lot of abuse, especially from the 450 bushmaster because it makes people giggle watching them spin around the bar so no clue how long that bolt had been in there lol

will get to stretch it out to 100 and finish the zero next weekend and hopefully do some basic load testing with the 165 ftx handloads at sunday-gunday-funday at the other cousins. will try to get some target pics next weekend

anyway here she is

18" 350 legend, 1:16 twist, melonite, carbine gas, national match profile
4-12x40 Diamondback with Deadhold BDC
BCA side charger with melonite bolt carrier group
Guntec 15" ultralite m-lok handguard ( i really kinda like this, seems like a nice guard for the $)
cmmg set screw gas block
STDA 3 prong flash hider
UTG 2pc offset ar scope rings

ar-stoner 5rd legend mags ran flawlessly, the 20's i ordered just came off backorder today and should be here next week some time.

ya'll have seen this lower under probably a half dozen uppers already. no real changes to it, other than a new upper.
plant_one

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:57 am

I have shot four more ladders with three different bullets now. I have a few nice loads to play with too!!

Im hoping the UPS man is earlier then usual and Ill have my Faxon 350 bbl so I can assemble the upper and start more loads for this weekend!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby plant_one » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:16 am

ive got 2 ladders waiting to be shot on sunday. 165 ftx and 147 xtp's.
plant_one

Postby offrink » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:25 am

My 76 year old dad wants to stay out hunting as he ages. He finally is giving up the smooth bore 20 gauge Stevens he has shot most of his life. He likes my 450 bushmaster (the accuracy and down range energy) but I’m thinking the softer recoil from the 350 would be happier with his aging body. Being a “young” guy I would like the experience of those more mature and have shot the 350 to get some first hand experience.
offrink

Postby plant_one » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 am

if you're gonna go the AR route, splurge for an adjustable gas block and you'll be able to tone it down to a very very light recoiling experience for him.

for a more budget solution, theres a noticeable difference in the recoil impulse in the 3 different legends i've shot by simply switching from a standard carbine buffer(3oz) to a H3 buffer (5.4oz).

none of them had a brake on them, i wouldnt say the caliber needs it or its justified unless you're going for ultralight recoil type situation.
plant_one

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms